Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
taking my new 2021 Yamaha MT-09 SP in for it’s first 600 mile service later this week and wondering is it ok to go full synthetic oil this soon❓ my question also had me wondering if new bikes are coming outta the factory with full synthetic oil already in there❓hey guys let’s not make this about our oil brand of choice, please gimme opinions or even mo betta facts on my synthetic dilemma😂❓

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I switched to full synth at my 600. No problems...
cool, that’s very helpful💯👍🏻 going one step further, whatcha think regarding how these bikes are rollin outta the factory❓ synthetic already in there❓

·
Registered
39 Posts
I did my first service at home and I went fully synthetic at 600 miles also. Not sure what came out, it was fairly wishy washy though, not very viscous at all.

·
Registered
Yamaha MT 09 SP 2021
79 Posts
It's not like problems will suddenly appear if you go full synthetic.
The theory is that full synthetics have less friction so the break in won't be good enough since there won't be the same friction as the semi in order for the metals to rub.
At the 600 miles I did the service with semi and propably at the next one I'll go full synthetic.
But tbh I don't think that it really matters.You propably won't notice a thing even after a lot of thousand kms.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've just had my first 600 mile service on my 2021 09 at the dealers, cost 120 quid for oil, filter & sump plug washer. :eek: Oil was Yamalube.

I'll probably stick with Yamalube in future oil changes & will do them myself. I'll be using a decent oil filter with a nut on the end, makes oil/filter changes even easier.(y)

Toecutter.

·
Registered
39 Posts
£120 for first service is outrageous.

To do the servicing yourself and maintain your warranty you need to use Yamaha parts really. Its upto them to prove something you've done has caused the problem and not the other way round. So stay bullet proof and use the Yamaha filter until you're out of warranty. Here is a link to a filter wrench that fits over the OEM filter perfectly.

·
Registered
45 Posts
£120 for first service is outrageous.

To do the servicing yourself and maintain your warranty you need to use Yamaha parts really. Its upto them to prove something you've done has caused the problem and not the other way round. So stay bullet proof and use the Yamaha filter until you're out of warranty. Here is a link to a filter wrench that fits over the OEM filter perfectly.

Just ordered one, Thanks.
Toecutter. (y)

·
Registered
Yamaha MT 09 SP 2021
79 Posts
Wow 120?
I payed 60 euros for mine.Thats almost 130% more!
I dont wanna know the cost if anything harder is involved.
I guess you would have to go naked there to pay with something more than money :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
The running in issue with synth hasn't been a problem for many years. Modern engines are designed for low friction oils. Some car engines don't specify the first oil change for 30K.
All my new bikes and cars in the last 15 years came with synth or semi synth.

Reactions: busdriverjeff

·
Registered
727 Posts
with a nut on the end, makes oil/filter changes even easier.
IMHO, if you have to use a tool to remove the old oil filter, it was way over tightened to begin with.

The stealership did the 600 mile service for me and I had to resort to the screw driver through the filter method since NO filter removal tool could remove it. Ever since I've done my own service. I'm at 23k miles now... and I've installed and hand tightened the filters myself, NEVER had to use a tool.

No leaks, no seepage, no problems.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's not like problems will suddenly appear if you go full synthetic.
The theory is that full synthetics have less friction so the break in won't be good enough since there won't be the same friction as the semi in order for the metals to rub.
At the 600 miles I did the service with semi and propably at the next one I'll go full synthetic.
But tbh I don't think that it really matters.You propably won't notice a thing even after a lot of thousand kms.
I’m going semi synth at my 600 mi service and runnin wit dat ups to possibly 2000 mi then going full synth this plan worked great with my 2014 Yamaha FZ-09 it shifted like butter💯👍🏻
What a ripoff! I'd be happy to do the same service for 115.
😂

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I’m going semi synth at my 600 mi service and runnin wit dat ups to possibly 2000 mi then going full synth this plan worked great with my 2014 Yamaha FZ-09 it shifted like butter💯👍🏻

😂
I’ll let you guys know how severe my ankle grabbing gonna be after I leave the dealership this coming Thursday for my 600 mi service❓😢 … 👍🏻😂

1 - 20 of 31 Posts