Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2021 Yamaha MT-09 SP
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! So I dropped my bike last season (super low speed, on dry leaves while doing a u-turn) and wanted to protect my ride from further damage (especially when practicing low speed handling)...

Went with the OEM Yamaha engine covers protector... if you go that way, make sure you get legitimate stuff, my first order was a fully priced knockoff. You can read that : Here

So anyway, after installing those, I look at my bike and found the right side a bit exposed. I didn't want a full stunt cage, I don't do those... and my rear is already protected-ish by my Shad case mounts.. So after a bit of research I found that SW-Motech came out with clean looking crash protectors for the 2021+ MT-09/SP.

"Available immediately", in stock... yay.. right? Nope...if you're from Canada, they won't actually ship to you. You can add to cart then if you want to buy, they send an email to the Canadian distributor to ask for a quote... Fine, I'll wait.

2 days later, get a response back from the Canada distributor for SW Motech - he never had any of those in stock but he's got an order arriving late October and could add it up. He would need to create a "local" part number for it, whatever it means for him (adding in his own catalogue I assume). As expected, shopping around the usual places in Canada turned out nothing... they couldn't get it from their distributor... which I already knew cause the distributor didn't have this specific part number even listed in his catalogue (SBL.06.851.10001/B).

So I searched around and couldn't find any options so I did what I did last time... reached out to Euro retailers and asked them if it was possible to get those from SW Motech. I did that when I wanted my Shad stuff for my 21 SP last year... it was so new, no one had that listed.

So anyhow, managed to get MotoStorm in Italy to check and yes, they could get it from SW Motech in Germany within 5-7 days and ship it to me. Wasn't super hopeful but went ahead. 5 days later, UPS had my package. It ended up being lost at my local UPS depot for like 6 days but that's 100% on UPS (who puts a big COD sticker ON TOP of the UPS Shipping Label)

Got it earlier this week and I'm very pleased with the fit. There is a bit of play in the bars when installing them... and after torquing everything (removing the play), they are not perfectly aligned when viewed from the front but I don't really mind.

Here's what it looks like :

Step 1 - Lift the bike. Gosssshhh I LOVE this Abba Sky Lift. Yeah it's expensive but it's so well built and convenient to work on my bike with my bad back (like just cleaning the wheels is so much easier). You can see the OEM Yamaha engine protectors on there as well.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

The bars come with all the required hardware and instructions. The only thing I didn't like is they list the torque as "OEM" meaning you have to look it up elsewhere and then there's a small image that seems to indicate that locktite is required... but the factory manual doesn't mention locktite for those 2 fasteners and the factory bolts didn't have any... so I didn't put any. I'll keep a look at the bolts but I'm pretty sure it's not required. Worst case, I'll just dab a bit of blue stuff.

Automotive tire Bicycle handlebar Bicycle fork Crankset Bicycle tire

Art Publication Wood Font Table

Step 2 : Remove the factory hardware. This requires a 14mm socket and a 8mm allen key. You'll need the 8mm allen to assemble everything back... and torque is important so make sure you have one that fits on your 3/8 or 1/2 torque wrench. A regular 8mm angled wrench won't cut it for the torque required.

Step 3 : install the end-caps on the guards. Trust me, do that before installing them on the bike (like the instruction says) because I forgot to do it on the right side and it wasn't fund to fit a small soft hammer in there behind the fork to tap it in

Step 4 : Put the proper shims in place and bolt them up to the factory holes. As with anything, don't tighten the first bolt completely before putting in the 2nd one.
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

Step 5 : Torque to factory values. Front/bottom bolt is at 60NM, the back/top one is at 45NM.

Step 6 : Put the bolt covers on, drop the bike on the ground and enjoy ;)

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

If you look carefully, you can see that the crash bars aren't exactly aligned when viewed from head on.

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Vehicle Motorcycle

Pretty clean look if you ask me. While very visible from the front, you can't really see them while glancing on the side.

Now onto a low speed handling refresher course lol... figure 8, low speed braking and turns, etc

· Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys! So I dropped my bike last season (super low speed, on dry leaves while doing a u-turn) and wanted to protect my ride from further damage (especially when practicing low speed handling)...

Went with the OEM Yamaha engine covers protector... if you go that way, make sure you get legitimate stuff, my first order was a fully priced knockoff. You can read that : Here

So anyway, after installing those, I look at my bike and found the right side a bit exposed. I didn't want a full stunt cage, I don't do those... and my rear is already protected-ish by my Shad case mounts.. So after a bit of research I found that SW-Motech came out with clean looking crash protectors for the 2021+ MT-09/SP.

"Available immediately", in stock... yay.. right? Nope...if you're from Canada, they won't actually ship to you. You can add to cart then if you want to buy, they send an email to the Canadian distributor to ask for a quote... Fine, I'll wait.

2 days later, get a response back from the Canada distributor for SW Motech - he never had any of those in stock but he's got an order arriving late October and could add it up. He would need to create a "local" part number for it, whatever it means for him (adding in his own catalogue I assume). As expected, shopping around the usual places in Canada turned out nothing... they couldn't get it from their distributor... which I already knew cause the distributor didn't have this specific part number even listed in his catalogue (SBL.06.851.10001/B).

So I searched around and couldn't find any options so I did what I did last time... reached out to Euro retailers and asked them if it was possible to get those from SW Motech. I did that when I wanted my Shad stuff for my 21 SP last year... it was so new, no one had that listed.

So anyhow, managed to get MotoStorm in Italy to check and yes, they could get it from SW Motech in Germany within 5-7 days and ship it to me. Wasn't super hopeful but went ahead. 5 days later, UPS had my package. It ended up being lost at my local UPS depot for like 6 days but that's 100% on UPS (who puts a big COD sticker ON TOP of the UPS Shipping Label)

Got it earlier this week and I'm very pleased with the fit. There is a bit of play in the bars when installing them... and after torquing everything (removing the play), they are not perfectly aligned when viewed from the front but I don't really mind.

Here's what it looks like :

Step 1 - Lift the bike. Gosssshhh I LOVE this Abba Sky Lift. Yeah it's expensive but it's so well built and convenient to work on my bike with my bad back (like just cleaning the wheels is so much easier). You can see the OEM Yamaha engine protectors on there as well.

View attachment 172177

The bars come with all the required hardware and instructions. The only thing I didn't like is they list the torque as "OEM" meaning you have to look it up elsewhere and then there's a small image that seems to indicate that locktite is required... but the factory manual doesn't mention locktite for those 2 fasteners and the factory bolts didn't have any... so I didn't put any. I'll keep a look at the bolts but I'm pretty sure it's not required. Worst case, I'll just dab a bit of blue stuff.

View attachment 172178
View attachment 172179

Step 2 : Remove the factory hardware. This requires a 14mm socket and a 8mm allen key. You'll need the 8mm allen to assemble everything back... and torque is important so make sure you have one that fits on your 3/8 or 1/2 torque wrench. A regular 8mm angled wrench won't cut it for the torque required.

Step 3 : install the end-caps on the guards. Trust me, do that before installing them on the bike (like the instruction says) because I forgot to do it on the right side and it wasn't fund to fit a small soft hammer in there behind the fork to tap it in

Step 4 : Put the proper shims in place and bolt them up to the factory holes. As with anything, don't tighten the first bolt completely before putting in the 2nd one.
View attachment 172180

Step 5 : Torque to factory values. Front/bottom bolt is at 60NM, the back/top one is at 45NM.

Step 6 : Put the bolt covers on, drop the bike on the ground and enjoy ;)

View attachment 172181

If you look carefully, you can see that the crash bars aren't exactly aligned when viewed from head on.

View attachment 172182

Pretty clean look if you ask me. While very visible from the front, you can't really see them while glancing on the side.

Now onto a low speed handling refresher course lol... figure 8, low speed braking and turns, etc
Thanks for posting. I picked up my SP yesterday and will pick up the SWM bars tmrw. Question? IF you did things in reverse ie fitted the bars first do you feel that the lower engine case covers ie Clutch/Alternator etc are still required? Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts