Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Did my first ride with the heated grips today, they're excellent. I've got latest generation Oxford grips on another bike and I'd say level 10 on the Yamaha ones are only a tiny bit colder than 100% on the Oxfords. I'd call it level 10 on Yamaha = 95% on the Oxfords. 100% on the Oxfords are very very hot and only really needed when it's down to about 0-5⁰C so that little bit of heat that's missing from the Yamahas won't matter to most people.

The bike saves your previous heat setting when you turn the bike off aswell which is good. Next time you start up they're on the level you left them on.

I prefer the diameter on the heated grips compared to the stock grips too, they're a little bit larger.

Very pleased with them.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I also fitted the 2021 Tracer 9 heated grips to my 2021 MT09SP today. Part number was B5U829A00100 and I ordered from Flitwick. Don't know if they ship to the US but they're a decent firm that I've used before.

Expensive yes but they're bang on, no cutting or modifying, dead easy. Option appeared on the dash straight away as described above. Very pleased with them.

Thanks @Kluthage421
I wanted the OEM look. Maybe that's silly. I like how they say Yamaha and look factory. They should be cheaper though. I don't know why all the accessories aren't on their US website.

·
Registered
MT09 SP 2021
14 Posts
Hey guys, a quick PSA - be careful with the OEM grip heaters. I'm in Canada and it's getting cold in here so I grabbed a set of B7N-829A0-00-00 grip heaters (had to buy from Europe).

View attachment 167964

View attachment 167965

Installation was a breeze :

Removing the left grip was the longest part of the job. I broke the glue using a long, very narrow screwdriver.

View attachment 167966

Then you install the left one (which slides super easily, it's not rubber, it's plastic inside!) with grip cement / glue (I used Renthal grip glue). There's a nice channel to hold the wire underneath the control box.

View attachment 167968

The throttle side was super easy : pull the 4 screws, split the control, remove the original one, push in the new heated one. Installation looks super clean. On the right side, there's a nice bracket already zip-tied at the correct location to hold it.

View attachment 167967

I don't have any pictures of the hookup - it's super easy : remove 4 bolts on the headlight assembly, pull forward, plug the 2 wires, bingo.

So I install the bar ends and wait a day to go ride (let the glue set on the left side)... Turns out there a bunch of bad weather so the bike stays in the garage for a while... I did check for full throttle motion, started the bike, idle was fine and all.

Then I went for a ride and almost rear ended a car on the highway when I couldn't cancel cruise by rolling the throttle forward. For those not familiar with the SP, you can cancel the cruise by turning past idle (like 1/16 of a turn). I pulled in the clutch and didn't get into an accident but I was startled..

Turns out the "B7N-829A0-00-00" part number isn't officially compatible with the SP model... Wasn't super bad and I rode the bike like that for a while but I'm prepping the bike for winter now so I decided to compare the 2 grips :

As you can see, the tube's part number is slightly different : B7N YG390 vs BAM YG391

View attachment 167969

If you look carefully, to the right of the bottom tab that sticks out, there is additional plastic

Super obvious here, see how the width of the plastic isn't the same...
View attachment 167970

There's also a slot on the back of the handle that is wider. Essentially the grip has a "stop" on the front that limits rolling off throttle and a slot in the back that limits the full rotation.

View attachment 167971

Both of these engage in the black tabs you can see to the back and front of the handlebar here :

View attachment 167972

In the picture above, the white ring is the actual rotating throttle part.

I fixed it by very carefully trimming the plastic part to make it match the factory one. I used a combinaison of a dremel and a very sharp knife.

Result :
View attachment 167973

I've also cut the slot wider but didn't think to take a pic.

I installed it back and everything is good now!
Hi mate, I know you posted this a while ago but I need some help. I bought used mt09 sp with tracer heated grips and have the issues you described. Would you be able to take measurements of the original part and post them as I don’t have the original throttle tube to measure and trim mine. Would really appreciate your help.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Then I went for a ride and almost rear ended a car on the highway when I couldn't cancel cruise by rolling the throttle forward. For those not familiar with the SP, you can cancel the cruise by turning past idle (like 1/16 of a turn). I pulled in the clutch and didn't get into an accident but I was startled..
Had a similar experience, my FJ has an MC Cruise installed by PO, first ride I thought I'd turned it off ( inexperience with the controls ) and had NOT. When it kicked back in I rolled the throttle forward ( because that is one way to cancel the OEM cruise on my '21 Africa ) and ... no effect. By the time I recovered from the bewilderment I was almost in an accident! Makes you learn quickly!
Glad you are ok! Live and learn as they say...

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hi mate, I know you posted this a while ago but I need some help. I bought used mt09 sp with tracer heated grips and have the issues you described. Would you be able to take measurements of the original part and post them as I don’t have the original throttle tube to measure and trim mine. Would really appreciate your help.
I'm confused, if you've ordered the correct part number (B5U829A00100) there is no need to modify anything.

·
Registered
MT09 SP 2021
14 Posts
Can anyone please measure the original throttle tube and post it, my bike came with heated grips already fitted and they don’t cancel cruise control. If someone can post the measurements of original tube, I’ll be able to trim mine to exact specifications. Regards.

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha MT-09 SP
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Can anyone please measure the original throttle tube and post it, my bike came with heated grips already fitted and they don’t cancel cruise control. If someone can post the measurements of original tube, I’ll be able to trim mine to exact specifications. Regards.
Here you go. Used a string on the OEM grip.. and you can see the actual dimensions on both side of the grip. The grip is symmetric so the measurement is the same - roughly 17mm on the outside using a string. No need to measure the inside - the angle of the trim, you can check your grip.. it just crosses the center of the grip.

Finger Gas Thumb Household hardware Automotive tire
Plant Ruler Office ruler Rectangle Measuring instrument
Automotive tire Finger Tire Thumb Rim
Ruler Office ruler Plant Rectangle Tape measure

·
Registered
MT09 SP 2021
14 Posts
Here you go. Used a string on the OEM grip.. and you can see the actual dimensions on both side of the grip. The grip is symmetric so the measurement is the same - roughly 17mm on the outside using a string. No need to measure the inside - the angle of the trim, you can check your grip.. it just crosses the center of the grip.

View attachment 172624 View attachment 172625 View attachment 172626 View attachment 172627
Thanks mate, you are a champion. I’ll give it a go when I have a day off and post results.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just confirming that the B5U829A00100 (tracer 9 model) works perfectly on my 2022 MT-09SP.

I am in the US...I tried to order through Flitwick, but they were not able to ship direct. I ordered though www.motorcyclespareparts.eu on Oct 7th...arrived on Oct 11. They were expensive, but are a direct replacement.

Just wanted to thank you all for posting these details; I'll be riding till the snow and salt start flying :)

I also fitted the 2021 Tracer 9 heated grips to my 2021 MT09SP today. Part number was B5U829A00100 and I ordered from Flitwick. Don't know if they ship to the US but they're a decent firm that I've used before.

Expensive yes but they're bang on, no cutting or modifying, dead easy. Option appeared on the dash straight away as described above. Very pleased with them.

Thanks @Kluthage421

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just confirming that the B5U829A00100 (tracer 9 model) works perfectly on my 2022 MT-09SP.

I am in the US...I tried to order through Flitwick, but they were not able to ship direct. I ordered though www.motorcyclespareparts.eu on Oct 7th...arrived on Oct 11. They were expensive, but are a direct replacement.

Just wanted to thank you all for posting these details; I'll be riding till the snow and salt start flying :)
Also just installed these on my SP. I tried ordering them back in the spring from this website without success. They were able to get them this time. Install was pretty easy. They get very hot. Very pleased.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can anyone confirm that part #bap-82960-00-00 and bap-82963-00-00 are correct US part numbers for heated grips? Is this all I would need? These parts can be had for about $225

I’ve found the grips under b5u829a00100 from euro dealers for $250 including shipping.

I don’t want to end up with the wrong parts trying to save $25 bucks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys, a quick PSA - be careful with the OEM grip heaters. I'm in Canada and it's getting cold in here so I grabbed a set of B7N-829A0-00-00 grip heaters (had to buy from Europe).

View attachment 167964

View attachment 167965

Removing the left grip was the longest part of the job. I broke the glue using a long, very narrow screwdriver.

View attachment 167966

Then you install the left one (which slides super easily, it's not rubber, it's plastic inside!) with grip cement / glue (I used Renthal grip glue). There's a nice channel to hold the wire underneath the control box.

View attachment 167968

The throttle side was super easy : pull the 4 screws, split the control, remove the original one, push in the new heated one. Installation looks super clean. On the right side, there's a nice bracket already zip-tied at the correct location to hold it.

View attachment 167967

I don't have any pictures of the hookup - it's super easy : remove 4 bolts on the headlight assembly, pull forward, plug the 2 wires, bingo.

So I install the bar ends and wait a day to go ride (let the glue set on the left side)... Turns out there a bunch of bad weather so the bike stays in the garage for a while... I did check for full throttle motion, started the bike, idle was fine and all.

Turns out the "B7N-829A0-00-00" part number isn't officially compatible with the SP model... Wasn't super bad and I rode the bike like that for a while but I'm prepping the bike for winter now so I decided to compare the 2 grips :

As you can see, the tube's part number is slightly different : B7N YG390 vs BAM YG391

View attachment 167969

If you look carefully, to the right of the bottom tab that sticks out, there is additional plastic

View attachment 167970

There's also a slot on the back of the handle that is wider. Essentially the grip has a "stop" on the front that limits rolling off throttle and a slot in the back that limits the full rotation.

View attachment 167971

Both of these engage in the black tabs you can see to the back and front of the handlebar here :

View attachment 167972

I fixed it by very carefully trimming the plastic part to make it match the factory one. I used a combinaison of a dremel and a very sharp knife.

Result :
View attachment 167973

Hello,

thanks for this post.
I was thinking about installing also these heating

View attachment 167964

View attachment 167965

View attachment 167966

View attachment 167968

View attachment 167967

View attachment 167969

View attachment 167970

View attachment 167971

View attachment 167972

Result :
View attachment 167973

Hello,

thanks for this post.
I'm thinking also installing these grip heaters on my MT09-SP-2021. Hopefully I found your info about modifying the right grip to allow disabling the cruise.
One question: I installed a USB connector on my handle bar one year ago, using the spare Yamaha connector on the left of the front light when being in front of the bike, or the right connector when seating on the bike. I'm wondering if there is another spare connector to connect the right grip heater or if I'll need to buy (or build) a Y connector. Unfortunately getting access to my bike is tricky for the moment so I can not check by myself before a few weeks.

I know this post is already one year old but maybe someone still reads it and have this information for me.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hello,

thanks for this post.
I was thinking about installing also these heating

Hello,

thanks for this post.
I'm thinking also installing these grip heaters on my MT09-SP-2021. Hopefully I found your info about modifying the right grip to allow disabling the cruise.
One question: I installed a USB connector on my handle bar one year ago, using the spare Yamaha connector on the left of the front light when being in front of the bike, or the right connector when seating on the bike. I'm wondering if there is another spare connector to connect the right grip heater or if I'll need to buy (or build) a Y connector. Unfortunately getting access to my bike is tricky for the moment so I can not check by myself before a few weeks.

I know this post is already one year old but maybe someone still reads it and have this information for me.
Thanks in advance.
Heated grips have their own connectors behind the headlight, you don't plug them into the same ones as the USB port.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply and this good new, don't have to choose between USB and heated grips :).
I also didn't see there were 3 pages on this thread, that's why I thought it was an old one without update!

Thanks again!

41 - 57 of 57 Posts