Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nice! Glad you got the grips for the winter. Great video! Thanks for posting and sharing the how to info. I breathed a sigh of relief, once everything was connected and heated grips icon lit up in screen! How do they work? Warm enough for where you live?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nice! Glad you got the grips for the winter. Great video! Thanks for posting and sharing the how to info. I breathed a sigh of relief, once everything was connected and heated grips icon lit up in screen! How do they work? Warm enough for where you live?
Me too! And they work great I think. Never had experience with other heated grips, but I commuted to work this morning with them. 40 minutes at 33 degrees. Thumbs got cold, but my palms were toasty! You’ll love them!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I really enjoyed your write up for the MT09 heated grip installation, I had the grips fitted by the dealer before collection, however I was wondering how easy do you think it would be to remove the none throttle side grip if I want to change the bars? Dealer told me they used super strong adhesive??

Do you think it’s possible without damaging the grip?

Hey guys, a quick PSA - be careful with the OEM grip heaters. I'm in Canada and it's getting cold in here so I grabbed a set of B7N-829A0-00-00 grip

View attachment 167964

View attachment 167965

Installation was a breeze :

Removing the left grip was the longest part of the job. I broke the glue using a long, very narrow screwdriver.

View attachment 167966

Then you install the left one (which slides super easily, it's not rubber, it's plastic inside!) with grip cement / glue (I used Renthal grip glue). There's a nice channel to hold the wire underneath the control box.

View attachment 167968

The throttle side was super easy : pull the 4 screws, split the control, remove the original one, push in the new heated one. Installation looks super clean. On the right side, there's a nice bracket already zip-tied at the correct location to hold it.

View attachment 167967

I don't have any pictures of the hookup - it's super easy : remove 4 bolts on the headlight assembly, pull forward, plug the 2 wires, bingo.

So I install the bar ends and wait a day to go ride (let the glue set on the left side)... Turns out there a bunch of bad weather so the bike stays in the garage for a while... I did check for full throttle motion, started the bike, idle was fine and all.

Then I went for a ride and almost rear ended a car on the highway when I couldn't cancel cruise by rolling the throttle forward. For those not familiar with the SP, you can cancel the cruise by turning past idle (like 1/16 of a turn). I pulled in the clutch and didn't get into an accident but I was startled..

Turns out the "B7N-829A0-00-00" part number isn't officially compatible with the SP model... Wasn't super bad and I rode the bike like that for a while but I'm prepping the bike for winter now so I decided to compare the 2 grips :

As you can see, the tube's part number is slightly different : B7N YG390 vs BAM YG391

View attachment 167969

If you look carefully, to the right of the bottom tab that sticks out, there is additional plastic

Super obvious here, see how the width of the plastic isn't the same...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Do you have an update? I also have the sp and was wondering the same thing as what you tried to do.
They are oj
Do you have an update? I also have the sp and was wondering the same thing as what you tried to do.
They are backordered. Still waiting on them! Good thing I have my DR650 with heated grips to ride on the colder days. Looks like it'll be 41 on my ride this Sunday. I have already ridden the MT in 17F though 😎 So many accessories are available in the Yamaha Europe catalog. I am not sure why they aren't available here in the US.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Installed the OEM Tracer 9 grips today from the EU catalog. So easy. Takes 30 minutes. The SP has the same controls as the Tracer 9 GT, so there was a nice channel in the bottom of the clutch-side control housing. The throttle side came with a bracket and rubber grommet already installed. This gets held on by the bottom-left screw of the control housing. Wires plug directly into the pre-wired connectors behind the headlight. A heated grip icon pops up on the bottom-right of the TFT. You don't have to go into settings. Scroll down to it, select, and change the setting to one of ten available levels.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Installed the OEM Tracer 9 grips today from the EU catalog. So easy. Takes 30 minutes. The SP has the same controls as the Tracer 9 GT, so there was a nice channel in the bottom of the clutch-side control housing. The throttle side came with a bracket and rubber grommet already installed. This gets held on by the bottom-left screw of the control housing. Wires plug directly into the pre-wired connectors behind the headlight. A heated grip icon pops up on the bottom-right of the TFT. You don't have to go into settings. Scroll down to it, select, and change the setting to one of ten available levels.
Nice. So just to clarify, you were able to install the factory Tracer 9 heated grips on a 2021-2022 MT-09 SP without any modification? The mechanism to disengage cruise control with the throttle still works? Thanks.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Nice. So just to clarify, you were able to install the factory Tracer 9 heated grips on a 2021-2022 MT-09 SP without any modification? The mechanism to disengage cruise control with the throttle still works? Thanks.
Yup! The controls are identical to the Tracer 9. Only have to glue on the left grip. I used 3M Weatherstrip adhesive. The OEM one came off so easily. I just shoved a screwdriver under it and rotated it around the bars. Was able to salvage it to stick in my OEM parts bin to never be seen again. Tried them yesterday in 55 degree weather and my hands were hot at level 7 with Summer gloves on. I have them installed with Rhinomoto bar end mirror adaptors and CRG Hindsight LS mirrors.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yup! The controls are identical to the Tracer 9. Only have to glue on the left grip. I used 3M Weatherstrip adhesive. The OEM one came off so easily. I just shoved a screwdriver under it and rotated it around the bars. Was able to salvage it to stick in my OEM parts bin to never be seen again. Tried them yesterday in 55 degree weather and my hands were hot at level 7 with Summer gloves on. I have them installed with Rhinomoto bar end mirror adaptors and CRG Hindsight LS mirrors.
Where did you order them from? Having trouble finding them with shipping to the US.

·
Registered
179 Posts
They should be stock or at least a dealer installed/available option. There is no going back after having them. I have them on the MT and the DR. It's the only way. I like that they say Yamaha too. Can't tell they're not stock.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Do you have a part number for the grips you ordered? Thanks!

·
Registered
306 Posts
I also fitted the 2021 Tracer 9 heated grips to my 2021 MT09SP today. Part number was B5U829A00100 and I ordered from Flitwick. Don't know if they ship to the US but they're a decent firm that I've used before.

Expensive yes but they're bang on, no cutting or modifying, dead easy. Option appeared on the dash straight away as described above. Very pleased with them.

Thanks @Kluthage421

21 - 40 of 57 Posts