Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha MT-09 SP
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, a quick PSA - be careful with the OEM grip heaters. I'm in Canada and it's getting cold in here so I grabbed a set of B7N-829A0-00-00 grip heaters (had to buy from Europe).

Shipping box Rectangle Wood Packing materials Font

Sports equipment Audio equipment Cable Personal protective equipment Font

Installation was a breeze :

Removing the left grip was the longest part of the job. I broke the glue using a long, very narrow screwdriver.

Automotive tire Bicycle handlebar Motor vehicle Bicycle tire Bicycle fork

Then you install the left one (which slides super easily, it's not rubber, it's plastic inside!) with grip cement / glue (I used Renthal grip glue). There's a nice channel to hold the wire underneath the control box.

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting

The throttle side was super easy : pull the 4 screws, split the control, remove the original one, push in the new heated one. Installation looks super clean. On the right side, there's a nice bracket already zip-tied at the correct location to hold it.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Motorcycle

I don't have any pictures of the hookup - it's super easy : remove 4 bolts on the headlight assembly, pull forward, plug the 2 wires, bingo.

So I install the bar ends and wait a day to go ride (let the glue set on the left side)... Turns out there a bunch of bad weather so the bike stays in the garage for a while... I did check for full throttle motion, started the bike, idle was fine and all.

Then I went for a ride and almost rear ended a car on the highway when I couldn't cancel cruise by rolling the throttle forward. For those not familiar with the SP, you can cancel the cruise by turning past idle (like 1/16 of a turn). I pulled in the clutch and didn't get into an accident but I was startled..

Turns out the "B7N-829A0-00-00" part number isn't officially compatible with the SP model... Wasn't super bad and I rode the bike like that for a while but I'm prepping the bike for winter now so I decided to compare the 2 grips :

As you can see, the tube's part number is slightly different : B7N YG390 vs BAM YG391

Crankset Bicycle tire Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle

If you look carefully, to the right of the bottom tab that sticks out, there is additional plastic

Super obvious here, see how the width of the plastic isn't the same...
Hand Automotive tire Finger Thumb Automotive wheel system

There's also a slot on the back of the handle that is wider. Essentially the grip has a "stop" on the front that limits rolling off throttle and a slot in the back that limits the full rotation.

Hand Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Both of these engage in the black tabs you can see to the back and front of the handlebar here :

Bicycle tire Vehicle Automotive tire Bicycle handlebar Automotive lighting

In the picture above, the white ring is the actual rotating throttle part.

I fixed it by very carefully trimming the plastic part to make it match the factory one. I used a combinaison of a dremel and a very sharp knife.

Result :
Hand Finger Gas Thumb Auto part

I've also cut the slot wider but didn't think to take a pic.

I installed it back and everything is good now!

·
Registered
2022 Yamaha MT-09 SP
88 Posts
Excellent write up.

You'd think they put a disclaimer about the cruise control cancel as that can be a massive safety issue (as you described). Saving this post for later when I get my bike as I defintely want heated grips. Thank you for sharing!

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha MT-09 SP
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent write up.

You'd think they put a disclaimer about the cruise control cancel as that can be a massive safety issue (as you described). Saving this post for later when I get my bike as I defintely want heated grips. Thank you for sharing!
To be fair, these are listed to fit ONLY on the MT-09, not the SP.

Here's what it looks like once it's running : you get an additional icon in the LCD where you can go in and select up to 10 levels of heat. Nothing to do, just plug them and start the bike. I do have a feeling that the reason why they are plugged into the ECU is because the bike controls the amount of power going to them according to what's available from the generator...

Near freezing (+2C), at 120km/h (that's 35f and 75mph in freedom units), at the highest level (10) I was "ok". Not cold, not warm. Drop in 4th to overtake and you can feel the heat rising!. Drop to city speed and I can't keep them above 7-8, they get too warm.

Light Motor vehicle Automotive tire Circuit component Audio equipment

Thermal imaging pics :
Purple Organism Font Gas Entertainment

Purple Font Gas Electric blue Sky

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha MT-09 SP
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
262 Posts
To be fair, these are listed to fit ONLY on the MT-09, not the SP.

Here's what it looks like once it's running : you get an additional icon in the LCD where you can go in and select up to 10 levels of heat. Nothing to do, just plug them and start the bike. I do have a feeling that the reason why they are plugged into the ECU is because the bike controls the amount of power going to them according to what's available from the generator...

Near freezing (+2C), at 120km/h (that's 35f and 75mph in freedom units), at the highest level (10) I was "ok". Not cold, not warm. Drop in 4th to overtake and you can feel the heat rising!. Drop to city speed and I can't keep them above 7-8, they get too warm.

View attachment 167979

Thermal imaging pics :
View attachment 167980

View attachment 167981
Excellent thanks for sharing this ,I'm about to embark on changing these tonight ... I'm not 100 percent sure which part needs a small trim but I'm hoping I will see it when I take mine off.
If you can post a picture with an arrow pointing towards where you have removed material that would be awesome... For blind people like me 🤣

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha MT-09 SP
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you can post a picture with an arrow pointing towards where you have removed material that would be awesome... For blind people like me 🤣
He you go :

When you pull the factory throttle tube you'll find that it's super obvious.

First, you trip the part that faces forward if the bike when idle. See here : 2 cuts :
Hand Automotive tire Finger Gas Thumb

Now, you do something similar 180 degrees.. on the back side of the back when idle. This time, it's a slot that needs to go deeper.

Hand Automotive tire Bicycle part Finger Thumb

thanks for posting this

im still on the fence about factory vs aftermarket, i really like how clean they install
Yeah, the integration in the UI of the cluster was the killer for me. While the roller buttons isn't the best to use while driving... I don't like the look of non factory options. The install is also a breeze because you only need to plug into the factory wiring harness!

·
Registered
262 Posts
He you go :

When you pull the factory throttle tube you'll find that it's super obvious.

First, you trip the part that faces forward if the bike when idle. See here : 2 cuts :
View attachment 168066

Now, you do something similar 180 degrees.. on the back side of the back when idle. This time, it's a slot that needs to go deeper.

View attachment 168067

Yeah, the integration in the UI of the cluster was the killer for me. While the roller buttons isn't the best to use while driving... I don't like the look of non factory options. The install is also a breeze because you only need to plug into the factory wiring harness!
Thank you that is awesome ... I'll try them on like this because most of the time tap the brake to disengage the cruise so it might not be a problem, but if I decide I've got a Dremel that I can use.
It's an expensive kit compared to aftermarket Oxford grips for example but living with a square controller is a not an option for me ,I love how it integrates and install took me 40 min ,plus Yamaha have put a nice touch on the right grip with a small bracket that attaches the wire to the bolt ... Attached is a Oxford heat controller.
Aleks
Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Plant Steering part

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha MT-09 SP
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Attached is a Oxford heat controller.
Aleks
Yeah, I had the exact same on my previous ride - a NC750x from Honda.

Btw, the one I installed ONLY work if the engine is running. Key on = no heat. Engine running = heat. That might be a plus of minus depending on who you talk to. I find it as a positive.. but I heard of some people pre-heating their grip before a ride.... My opinion is : if you need to pre-heat your grips, the engine needs pre-heating as well...

Absolutely no way to drain your battery with those... I know the Oxford have that low-battery cutoff but not operating without the engine is even better if you leave yours keys on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you that is awesome ... I'll try them on like this because most of the time tap the brake to disengage the cruise so it might not be a problem, but if I decide I've got a Dremel that I can use.
It's an expensive kit compared to aftermarket Oxford grips for example but living with a square controller is a not an option for me ,I love how it integrates and install took me 40 min ,plus Yamaha have put a nice touch on the right grip with a small bracket that attaches the wire to the bolt ... Attached is a Oxford heat controller.
Aleks View attachment 168068
New member here! Great information regarding the Yamaha heated grips! I just passed the break in on my 2021 MT 09 SP in the US. I think that it was mentioned in a previous post the the Yamaha grips are not available from Yamaha in North America. Strange, because my USA owner's manual has instructions on how to use the heated grip function... Does anyone in Europe or anywhere else know what the 2021 MT 09 SP specific part number for the grips is, that would not require trimming the plastic?
Aleks, what hand guards do you have, they look like a great fit and perfect compliment to heated grips!

·
Registered
262 Posts
New member here! Great information regarding the Yamaha heated grips! I just passed the break in on my 2021 MT 09 SP in the US. I think that it was mentioned in a previous post the the Yamaha grips are not available from Yamaha in North America. Strange, because my USA owner's manual has instructions on how to use the heated grip function... Does anyone in Europe or anywhere else know what the 2021 MT 09 SP specific part number for the grips is, that would not require trimming the plastic?
Aleks, what hand guards do you have, they look like a great fit and perfect compliment to heated grips!
I don't have handguards it's just the bar end mirrors which were the first thing I've changed with the tail tidy...I think you can easily install these and don't worry about trimming the plastic,I didn't ... I use clutch or tap the brake to disengage the cruise and it is basically habit .. 😁😊
Front view of the bike 😬👍
Plant Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting Motorcycle

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did you just order these from the European Yamaha site? It looks to me like the won't ship outside of Europe.
Thanks Motorcycle Connoiseur! I have not ordered them yet. Unfortunately need to wait until after holidays... Ebay has the grips from a German vendor that will ship to USA. Expensive, especially with shipping, but I am willing to pay for clean look and plug and play connection. The ebay link is below, if you are interested in ordering. I have Oxfords on my Kawasaki and they do work great, but the Kawi has much more room for stuff without cluttering up the controls. Does anyone know the alternator output specs for the 2021 MT 09?. I am considering some other electrical accessories, but not sure how much power is available for more accessories without battery drain.
Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks Motorcycle Connoiseur! I have not ordered them yet. Unfortunately need to wait until after holidays... Ebay has the grips from a German vendor that will ship to USA. Expensive, especially with shipping, but I am willing to pay for clean look and plug and play connection. The ebay link is below, if you are interested in ordering. I have Oxfords on my Kawasaki and they do work great, but the Kawi has much more room for stuff without cluttering up the controls. Does anyone know the alternator output specs for the 2021 MT 09?. I am considering some other electrical accessories, but not sure how much power is available for more accessories without battery drain.
Thanks!

Ordered! Hope they’re worth it… they are very expensive lol

1 - 20 of 57 Posts