Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered this "system" from Home - Pacific Powersports, it arrived on Friday evening, I installed the metal rack parts right away, Saturday morning slipped the 22L bag onto the rack, and headed out on a group ride that morning. It's well-made, the main side mounts fit perfectly, as they are a custom fit to each bike model and year, and then the universal rack then fits onto these side mounts.

I only carried 3 typical size water bottles, a compact battery source pack, some bungee cords, small snacks, ball cap, sunglasses, cable lock for my helmet...and that barely put a dent in the 22L bag's capacity (I believe they also offer a 12L, 40L, and 60L bag if you prefer, and for varying prices). The bag will not go anywhere because of the "slip-on" design, and you don't have to tightly cinch the two retaining straps down either - it's not going anywhere!

Oh, and if you view their other accessories or options for this model, you will see that they offer other types of racks in case you want to go with a hard case or a simpler rack itself.

I would say the hardest part of the install is keeping the rack centered, while you tighten down the pair of allen bolts. I used an allen wrench, but a better choice would be an allen socket with rachet so you have more leverage and less strain on your hand when tightening.

Now, this rack easily clears the stock seat rear pillion, and I'm guessing "should" also clear the Yamaha Comfort Seat because it does come with optional spacers that are 3/4" or so tall, which I have installed btw. And on the topic of seats, I just placed an order for a Corbin Gunfighter & Lady Saddle, which I'm pretty sure WON'T clear this rack. What will I do? Well, my "plan" is to cut a couple of taller spacers to replace the included shorter ones, and then use correspondingly longer bolts, and that should be all that is needed to clear the taller Corbin. I will update on this when the time comes.

Last word: I have used the Ventura rack systems on both of my previous bikes - '93 Honda Nighthawk 750 and '08 Suzuki GSF 1250, and personally am sold on their design, quality, and functionality, which is the reason I did not hesitate to seek them out after I picked up my 2021 MT09 this past June. Sorry for the lengthy commentary, and no I'm not getting paid to say all of this (that'd be nice though...馃槢).

Registered
That is an ugly a$$ rack... but looks very effective :). On a bike with a 1-piece seat, it's a PITA attaching a tail bag to the seat, but what I do is buy one with clips, so I can semi-permanently install the straps, and just clip/unclip the bag. If I needed a larger bag for traveling (which I don't do), I'd seriously consider the option above. Thank you for posting it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is an ugly a$$ rack... but looks very effective :). On a bike with a 1-piece seat, it's a PITA attaching a tail bag to the seat, but what I do is buy one with clips, so I can semi-permanently install the straps, and just clip/unclip the bag. If I needed a larger bag for traveling (which I don't do), I'd seriously consider the option above. Thank you for posting it.
You're a tough critic!馃槵 But okay, I suppose it might appear so to some, if you were to ride around with just the bare rack...? But as I've done with my two previous bikes with the Ventura system attached, I've always just left the corresponding "pack" attached to the rack at all times, so you never even see the rack underneath. And personally I've never liked having straps or bungees hooked from side-to-side across my bike's seat, though whatever gets the job done, right? I like having the ability to remove (or put on) layers as the afternoon heats up, and this set-up has plenty of room to place those layers, plus bottles of water, a doggie bag from our rides' lunches - whatever.
Besides, with this Ventura, you have choices which rack or bag or box suits your needs! You can even just go with a rear grab handle if you prefer! But hey, if a backpack is all you need, go with that - whatever suits you and your needs, right?馃憤

Registered
I always install my tailbags under the seat itself, not under the bike. So there's nothing showing. Hey, as I mentioned, if I needed a giant bag, I'd consider your choice... but it's not pretty man. Sorry to disappoint you. Ha ha. Typically you cannot have it both ways, so the more space you need, the uglier it's going to look :). What I liked about your choice, is how secure it seems.

Registered
Could you flip the whole rack around to stick out past the seat?

Registered
2016 xsr 900
Thanks for posting, I've been thinking of getting a ventura rack system for my XSR, its nice to see a positive review.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Okay鈥ind screen is from Mustard Bikes out of Australia, and you can either purchase direct from their website or through their eBay listing as i did. Yamaha MT-09 2021 - Onwards . I also posted pictures previously here, about midway through the page: 2021 MT09 Windscreen Options...

And YES, this rack is designed to face either the front as I have it, or towards the rear trailing the seat, which would allow you to carry a passenger. And those 鈥渓egs鈥 are bolted together, so you can loosen and reposition the rack as you like.馃憤

Lastly, this is my 3rd Ventura set-up on my third different bike, and from the first one, I鈥檝e been sold on their design, model-specific fitment, and ability to change between the different rack types to suit your carrying needs

These are not inexpensive - my particular 鈥渟ystem鈥 was $469 to my door from an Oregon shop, but I feel it鈥檚 worth it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts