Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2021 MT-09 Storm Fluo
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welcome to my build thread. I will provide part names/numbers with each post and can answer any questions to the best of my ability through my experience working on this bike.

·
Registered
2021 MT-09 Storm Fluo
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
THE STARTING POINT
Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

First Change: The seat

Yamaha OEM Comfort Saddle - B7N-F47C0-V0-00

The stock seat was decent as far as stock seats go,

but found that a gain in cushion would greatly help riding duration before fatigue set in. I would estimate I gained 1/3 additional ride time before fatigue starts to set in. It adds about 1" to the seat height so keep that in mind.

It also greatly reduces the slickness the stock seat has and reduced sliding forward into the tank under braking.

BAR ENDS AND MIRRORS
Rhino Moto tapered bar ends with adapter - SKU:0151-005

Went with these as they were one of the first options available that fulfilled the role of mirror mount and weighted bar end to combat vibrations. OEM bars have threaded inserts and did not want to move controls inward to expose handlebar for a clamp mount solution

MIRRORS: CRG Arrow Bar End Mirror

Ended up with Arrows as the bar ends were designed for CRG sized mounts. Liked the more aggressive shape over their circular mirrors. Originally was going to go with Motogadget M-View glassless mirrors but no mounting solution was available at the time for a direct thread bar end.

LEVERS & SWINGARM SPOOLS
LEVERS: TST WOMET-TECH EVOS SHORTY LEVER KIT FOR YAMAHA YZF-R1 / YZF-R6 / MT-09
SKU: WT-1055

Levers were incredibly easy to install. Had them on in about 15 min. Love the look of them and the adjustment of the clutch side is a huge plus over stock.

SPOOLS: Evotech Performance Paddock Stand Bobbins

PRN012592-21

TANK PADS
MT Tank Pad - B7N-FTPAD-00-00 - Black

Yamaha Side Grip Pads - B7N-FSTPD-00-00 - Black

The tank pads were probably the most tricky thing to install to date. Getting symmetry from left to right required lots of guess and check work until the correct placement was found and traced with painters tape. Amazing addition to the bike and helps so much for sliding around under braking and cornering. Side grips could be a bit larger as I’m 6’4” and the end of them are just behind my knees.

FENDER ELIMINATOR
Yoshimura Fender Eliminator Kit - SKU:070BG139920

The yoshi eliminator was a huge step up in appearance for this bike. The stock fender really detracted from the overall look. The install was pretty straight forward except for the key latch door transfer. Moving the spring from stock part to yoshi was a huge pain but not impossible.

Kit requires 2 splices to attach new plate light to stock harness although this is not much of an issue since heat shrink solder connectors are included in the kit. Just strip the wires, align in sleeve and melt heat shrink tubing and center solder ball.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
The tank pads were probably the most tricky thing to install to date. Getting symmetry from left to right required lots of guess and check work until the correct placement
Heh, yeah you put a lot of thought into that. I just slapped mine on and didn't think much about it. Would probably drive you crazy though. :)

·
Registered
2021 MT-09 Storm Fluo
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Heh, yeah you put a lot of thought into that. I just slapped mine on and didn't think much about it. Would probably drive you crazy though. :)
I couldn’t have dealt with that haha. Even some slight differences bothered me at first but striving for perfection on such a trivial piece seemed like a war against diminishing returns on time spent vs perfect placement so I got em close enough and pulled the trigger.

Also probably paid more attention than I otherwise would have since I had to have them shipped from the UK and Australia and paid a pretty penny and only had one shot.

·
Registered
389 Posts

The stock seat was decent as far as stock seats go, View attachment 166589 but found that a gain in cushion would greatly help riding duration before fatigue set in. I would estimate I gained 1/3 additional ride time before fatigue starts to set in. It adds about 1.5" to the seat height so keep that in mind.

It also greatly reduces the slickness the stock seat has and reduced sliding forward into the tank under braking.
[/QUOT
I bought that too but I don't really like it. It is taller and the shape off the digged area is smaller and you feel that your sitting is narrower. It is softer although.

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
3,321 Posts
I couldn’t have dealt with that haha. Even some slight differences bothered me...
I don’t blame you. I get it!

If I’m hanging something on a wall, even this far out of level is unacceptable... 😝

·
Registered
246 Posts

The stock seat was decent as far as stock seats go, View attachment 166589 but found that a gain in cushion would greatly help riding duration before fatigue set in. I would estimate I gained 1/3 additional ride time before fatigue starts to set in. It adds about 1.5" to the seat height so keep that in mind.

Nice to see finally installing this comfort seat... I am very tall and am considering this for more comfort but mainly to stop me from sliding ,it's supposed to take out the slope in the stock seat as well... 1.5 inches seems a lot ,did you actually measure this yourself?
Aleks

·
Registered
2021 MT-09 Storm Fluo
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice to see finally installing this comfort seat... I am very tall and am considering this for more comfort but mainly to stop me from sliding ,it's supposed to take out the slope in the stock seat as well... 1.5 inches seems a lot ,did you actually measure this yourself?
Aleks
i didn’t measure this myself. Just a figure I saw someone toss around. I can measure the seat though and confirm

·
Registered
2021 MT-09 Storm Fluo
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Aleks

Difference is closer to 3/4" to 1" not 1.5" also included pic for shape comparison

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey Rontonsoop,
Great post and write-up. I have bookmarked this page for part # lookup when my beast arrives.

You mentioned quelling the vibrations when doing the Mirrors and Bar ends.
Did you notice vibrations at the bars pre and post Mirror install? Some mirrors are heavy enough to act as bar weight.
I see you have also added squishy grips. We need a post added for those too :geek:

·
Registered
2021 MT-09 Storm Fluo
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey Rontonsoop,
Great post and write-up. I have bookmarked this page for part # lookup when my beast arrives.

You mentioned quelling the vibrations when doing the Mirrors and Bar ends.
Did you notice vibrations at the bars pre and post Mirror install? Some mirrors are heavy enough to act as bar weight.
I see you have also added squishy grips. We need a post added for those too :geek:
so from the stock bar ends to aftermarket combined with bar end mirrors. There was some damping lost but not a ton. The stock bar ends are pretty heavy and do a good job taming vibes from this motor.

This bike gets kinda buzzy around the 4-5k rpm range which was the reasoning behind the grip puppies install. Now that I’m done with break-in I don’t spend too much time down that low, they probably aren’t needed as the bike smooths out considerably past 5k. but every now and then if I’m stuck in traffic I notice the vibes again and am glad they’re there.

overall I don’t think they’re really all that necessary but because I was coming over from a large displacement v-twin, I wasn’t used to the high frequency vibrations that come with a high revving motor. Now that I have over 2k miles on the bike I’m used to it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts