Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a 2021 MT09SP on order I should get that in April for some new model comparisons.
That'd be great. Any comparisons with older MT-09s are a waste of time, since the new 2021 MT-09 should be almost like night and day better than the old... but we'll see :). Looking forward to actual comparisons between those 2 bikes, since those are the only 2 I'm considering as well. I was going to consider the new 660 Tuono, but it's not a naked bike, so it's out. And not interested in the lower versions of both 890 and MT-09.

·
Registered
660 Posts
For me owning the 890R for 10 months 9000kms & 2021 09 back to back, the 2021 09 is the best 09 out of the box, but saying that the 890R is lighter, quicker in the twisties, better handling, far better brakes, better on fuel consumption, better seat, for my 6'2 frame the 890 was better, but the 2021 09 wins Yamaha's repetition of reliability & the top end rush which the 890 cant compare with. Going from the 890 to the new 09 I had no real wow factor as I did going from my 2018 09Sp to the 890R.

The 2021 09 is still a great bike & well worth the money, the 890R costs quiet a bit more after you add on all the extra's.

·
Registered
146 Posts
That'd be great. Any comparisons with older MT-09s are a waste of time, since the new 2021 MT-09 should be almost like night and day better than the old... but we'll see :). Looking forward to actual comparisons between those 2 bikes, since those are the only 2 I'm considering as well. I was going to consider the new 660 Tuono, but it's not a naked bike, so it's out. And not interested in the lower versions of both 890 and MT-09.
I had a chance to ride the new SP several times in the last 2 days. I am very impressed. All of the changes Yamaha made to the MT-09 add up to a significant improvement and a really good bike. It is my go to bike in the current line up, I would take it over the MT-10. I am looking forward to riding the new Tracer as well.

The new engine and frame along with a slightly revised seating position have really transformed this bike for me. I really like the stiffer chassis and the additional stability while cornering. The quick shifter is excellent and very smooth. The new engine and exhaust sound really good and it does seem a bit smoother than its predecessor as well. I almost ordered one of these months ago but I hesitated because I hadn't ridden one yet. I kinda I wish I had gone ahead and taken the plunge.

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
It sounds like a well set up susp upgrade on an 09 will make it the equal of the KTM for most people. I haven't ridden an 890, but it seems having the rider right over the front is a KTM feature. The Superduke I rode was like that. Not unpleasant, but it took getting used to.

·
Registered
146 Posts
It sounds like a well set up susp upgrade on an 09 will make it the equal of the KTM for most people. I haven't ridden an 890, but it seems having the rider right over the front is a KTM feature. The Superduke I rode was like that. Not unpleasant, but it took getting used to.
The suspension is only part of it. The more significant change is the substantially more rigid frame along with the revised riding position. The non-SP is still an excellent and much improved bike and will be just fine for most folks.

The 890 Duke is very different than the Super Duke. There is actually quite a bit more room on the 890. I did not like the riding position of the Super Duke.

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
I liked the Superduke after about an hour and a few km's up a very twisty road. I would have bought one in a flash, but couldn't stretch to the dollars even with dealer discount.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts