Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, i’m new to this forum and i know this is a yamaha forum but i wanted to know your feedback between the new SP and the 890 duke r! I sold my last bike (harley sportster) and am now on the market for a naked bike! My two choices are the 2021 SP or the 890 ! Both are roughly 13k here in Canada! Thank you

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I havent ridden either, but i have taken a demo model 790 for a spin in, say, december 2019. I ended up with another 09. This time a 17 model.
It was priced the same as an 09, electronic aids were light years ahead of the 09, suspension was worse.
It was very light and sharp, the 09 just felt a bit more hooligan like.
A couple years ago I remember reading that CF moto was about to get a contract to build the smaller cc (under 1000cc) KTM bikes, so check if its austrian made or chinese made.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've owned 15 KTMs, i've owned a KTM 790, i've ridden 5 of them, i've also ridden an 890. I've ridden the MT-09SP on track at Doninington GP and i currently own a KTM 790.

First, lets get the last post taken care of.... KTMs electronics are mostly exceptional. Their launch/traction/QS/Blipper and modes are way superior to anything Yamaha has. The QS, there's actually not much in it... but the rest and indeed the slipper clutch are superior in the KTM 790/890

There's only a small amount in it in terms of power.. but the XSR/MT09 engine is awesome and the KTM 790/890 is nearly awesome.

Riding position is one major thing when the Yamaha trumps the KTM for me personally and that's partly due to where you sit on the 790/890, which is almost right on top of the headlight along with the knee bend, which is more dramatic on the KTM than the Yamaha, which over time gave me a problem with my right knee.

The 790/890 is lighter and more flickable, which you notice straight away. But the Yamaha is more stable and more confident in stature due to being physically bigger.

Where the KTM is let down is reliability. Not massive issue, but niggly issues. The 790 and 890 both suffer with rocker cover oil leaks and sprocket output shaft seal leaks, a couple of these have led to terminal main bearing issues and new engines in 890Rs. These are easily sorted under warranty but after 3+ years of the engine, they shouldn't need the warranty, they should be sorted at the factory.

On track i found the KTM better on the brakes but the XSR900 better on power delivery. If i'm being harsh here, i struggled with the MT-09SP in handling on track and the back end felt all over the place more than once. Even though i liked the riding position of it the handling gave me issues.

Out of the choices, well i love the KTM 790 more... but i own a Yamaha XSR900. Why is that... well, the XSR has style and class too, along with the fact that when i walk over to it and press the button, it works, not some of the time, not most of the time, but all of the time.

2019-07-10_12-46-45 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

2020-07-19_03-02-09 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've owned 15 KTMs, i've owned a KTM 790, i've ridden 5 of them, i've also ridden an 890. I've ridden the MT-09SP on track at Doninington GP and i currently own a KTM 790.

First, lets get the last post taken care of.... KTMs electronics are mostly exceptional. Their launch/traction/QS/Blipper and modes are way superior to anything Yamaha has. The QS, there's actually not much in it... but the rest and indeed the slipper clutch are superior in the KTM 790/890

There's only a small amount in it in terms of power.. but the XSR/MT09 engine is awesome and the KTM 790/890 is nearly awesome.

Riding position is one major thing when the Yamaha trumps the KTM for me personally and that's partly due to where you sit on the 790/890, which is almost right on top of the headlight along with the knee bend, which is more dramatic on the KTM than the Yamaha, which over time gave me a problem with my right knee.

The 790/890 is lighter and more flickable, which you notice straight away. But the Yamaha is more stable and more confident in stature due to being physically bigger.

Where the KTM is let down is reliability. Not massive issue, but niggly issues. The 790 and 890 both suffer with rocker cover oil leaks and sprocket output shaft seal leaks, a couple of these have led to terminal main bearing issues and new engines in 890Rs. These are easily sorted under warranty but after 3+ years of the engine, they shouldn't need the warranty, they should be sorted at the factory.

On track i found the KTM better on the brakes but the XSR900 better on power delivery. If i'm being harsh here, i struggled with the MT-09SP in handling on track and the back end felt all over the place more than once. Even though i liked the riding position of it the handling gave me issues.

Out of the choices, well i love the KTM 790 more... but i own a Yamaha XSR900. Why is that... well, the XSR has style and class too, along with the fact that when i walk over to it and press the button, it works, not some of the time, not most of the time, but all of the time.

2019-07-10_12-46-45 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

2020-07-19_03-02-09 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr
Thank you for this great answer man!! Really informative for me!! Now i will wait for some reviews of the 2021 sp and make a decision after!!

·
Registered
617 Posts
Have owned 2014, 2016, 2017 09's & a 2018 MT09SP & currently Owen a 2020 890 Duke R with 7500kms trouble free riding, no leaks no problems. The 890 runs rings around all the 09's that I have owned for every day riding & fun in the twisties, the instant torque the 890 delivers is addictive, the handling & brakes are top notch compared to the 09's this bike is amazingly light & flickable, the 890 fits me better at 6.2", the only things I would knock it for is the very top end RPM's over 9500rpm all of my flashed modified 09's would out HP the 890 the 890 is down around 8HP over a flashed 09 with an Akra & low end smoothness, but that low & mid range torque pull that the 890 delivers wins hands down. I agree KTM's are not as reliable to any Jap bike but they are in another class when comparing them against jap comparable bike

I have a 2021 MT09SP on order I should get that in April for some new model comparisons.

·
Registered
13 Posts
There are only 2 KTM dealers in all of Chicagoland, and that covers over 5 million people! One is a Hardley Abelson chain that also has a small KTM and Triumph sales area. The other is a long-time boutique dealer with also Triumph, Ducati and MV Augusta. I roam a radius of 300 miles on any given Sunday, and 1,000s of miles (if rarely due to work and now the pandemic) when on tour on my fastest red 15 FJ-09. Reliability and a large and dependable dealer network is thus mandatory. Yes I'd love a KTM 890R for weekend forays but discretionary funds are lacking and I can barely fit the 3 bikes I have now in my well equipped shop. So a KTM may be super but I'll never forget breaking down in my 68 Renault R14 16 miles west of Wendover, NV and having to pay a $1/mile (exorbitant back then) back into Wendover. Then managing to hitch a ride back into Salt Lake City (SLC), having to stay in a fleabag 1910 hotel inthe Skidrow district, and getting up at dawn to rent a U-Haul. I then had to drive back through the desert for the 3rd time in 24 hours (the Bonneville Salt Flats are nearby) to get my R14 into the 18-foot U-Haul (a real Cheech & Chong story in itself). The only Renault dealer within 500 miles was in SLC but it was Saturday and they didn't open until Monday, when I had to be in San Francisco. I vowed never again to be at the mercy of vehicle makers that lacked a comprehensive dealer network.

Now I understand in England and Europe KTM has a much larger presence but here in the USA and I'll add Australia, we are so much larger with huge tracks of desolation, it just doesn't make sense to risk it. I'm sure there are 1,000s who'll say the KTM or Triumph is totally dependable, same goes for BMW riders. But do you feel lucky? Anyway, I get my kicks on my tricked-out 77 RD400 (hence 2and3cylinders). Or is it a 76? :cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have owned 2014, 2016, 2017 09's & a 2018 MT09SP & currently Owen a 2020 890 Duke R with 7500kms trouble free riding, no leaks no problems. The 890 runs rings around all the 09's that I have owned for every day riding & fun in the twisties, the instant torque the 890 delivers is addictive, the handling & brakes are top notch compared to the 09's this bike is amazingly light & flickable, the 890 fits me better at 6.2", the only things I would knock it for is the very top end RPM's over 9500rpm all of my flashed modified 09's would out HP the 890 the 890 is down around 8HP over a flashed 09 with an Akra & low end smoothness, but that low & mid range torque pull that the 890 delivers wins hands down. I agree KTM's are not as reliable to any Jap bike but they are in another class when comparing them against jap comparable bike

I have a 2021 MT09SP on order I should get that in April for some new model comparisons.
Cool thank you buddy!!! Can’t wait for your feedback on the 2021 sp!!

·
Registered
139 Posts

For background I have owned a FZ-09 and a FJ-09. I currently own a 2020 KTM 890 Duke R and frequently ride all the Yamaha bikes in their demo fleet. I expect to ride a MT-09 SP in the next couple of weeks.

First point: at 6'2" I find the 890 Duke vastly superior to the MT-09 in terms of comfort. The riding position suits me far better mostly due to the outstanding seat and footpegs farther forward than the 09. I can ride the Duke for several hours without issue but am squirming on the 09 after 45 minutes.

Next point: The Duke engine for the street is simply outstanding. It has an abundance of torque and plenty of power for serious canyon carving. I like the 09 engine but really, really like the Duke twin.

To address the post above; The KTM has a vastly superior chassis to the Yamaha (pre-2021) and is substantially more stable than the Yamaha. It can turn a dime and be placed exactly where you want to put it in each and every corner. It can readily accept mid-corner corrections while the Yamaha would be unsettled. I will be riding a 2021 MT-09 shortly and will see if their new 50% stiffer chassis has closed the gap to the KTM.

The reason the MT-09SP felt all over the place on the track is that, when stressed, the chassis weakness will become readily apparent. Since I weight 230 pounds plus gear I stress the chassis all the time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For background I have owned a FZ-09 and a FJ-09. I currently own a 2020 KTM 890 Duke R and frequently ride all the Yamaha bikes in their demo fleet. I expect to ride a MT-09 SP in the next couple of weeks.

First point: at 6'2" I find the 890 Duke vastly superior to the MT-09 in terms of comfort. The riding position suits me far better mostly due to the outstanding seat and footpegs farther forward than the 09. I can ride the Duke for several hours without issue but am squirming on the 09 after 45 minutes.

Next point: The Duke engine for the street is simply outstanding. It has an abundance of torque and plenty of power for serious canyon carving. I like the 09 engine but really, really like the Duke twin.

To address the post above; The KTM has a vastly superior chassis to the Yamaha (pre-2021) and is substantially more stable than the Yamaha. It can turn a dime and be placed exactly where you want to put it in each and every corner. It can readily accept mid-corner corrections while the Yamaha would be unsettled. I will be riding a 2021 MT-09 shortly and will see if their new 50% stiffer chassis has closed the gap to the KTM.

The reason the MT-09SP felt all over the place on the track is that, when stressed, the chassis weakness will become readily apparent. Since I weight 230 pounds plus gear I stress the chassis all the time.
I’ll be waiting your review and comparison buddy!!! Thanks a lot!!! Cheers ride safe

·
Premium Member
2,682 Posts
I spent a little time on the 890 that bmacz06 recently acquired. You can see my comments in the "Other Bikes" section.

·
Registered
215 Posts

We'll have to disagree in some ways fella. I've done countless laps on track on 790s, however i've only done 2 trackdays on the XSR900, I only did 1 session on the MT09SP as it was a mates bike (He sold it that afternoon actually due to it being rubbish on track).
Given the choice of the 2, i'm sticking XSR900

·
Registered
139 Posts
We'll have to disagree in some ways fella. I've done countless laps on track on 790s, however i've only done 2 trackdays on the XSR900, I only did 1 session on the MT09SP as it was a mates bike (He sold it that afternoon actually due to it being rubbish on track).
Given the choice of the 2, i'm sticking XSR900
And you should. I am not saying the Duke is better, but only that the chassis is stiffer. For most folks the MT-09 or XSR 900 are much better all around bikes for street use.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts