Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would share this. I made some non-performance modification. Performance wise it is pretty good.
Had a week to work on my bike and added the following mods.
i) Windscreen (helps immensely while riding on the highway). Definitely recommend it anyone riding a MT09.
ii) Dual USB Port- This was easy as the USB port came with a plug and play connectors.
iii) Phone Holder- Helps immensely while riding, especially as a GPS. I tried just using the Bluetooth, but would miss the voice commands.
iv) Helmet Lock - so I can the helmet on the mirror and leave the helmet. Also, this way I didn't had to get larger side cases.
v) GPS Tracker with Speed Talk SIM- Incase some steals it. Cost about $5 a month to run the data etc.
vi) DUAL 1080P Camera- Thought might come handy since the traffic is getting crazy and good to record videos of the ride at the same time (has a GPS too).
vii) Shad 3P Mounting System- Was the most non-intrusive design. Can barely notice it. The instructions are garbage though. If you get it, use some self locking nuts. Also, skip the 1st step.
viii) Shad SH23- Top Mounting side cases. No handles. Provides plenty of storage and not as wide as the larger cases.
ix) Lighting strip (auxiliary light-Brake Light, Turn signal, Running light) on the Side Cases- Straight forward. More light is better.
I got some connectors that were for Yamaha and made my own connectors, for the GPS Tracker, Camera, auxiliary lights. Made my own wiring harness with quick disconnect for the side cases. This was time consuming as I never worked with connectors and didn't had the right tools. But I didn't had to splice any of the factory wiring etc. But over all the wiring worked out easy. Didn't had to use any relay's or resistors as the motorcycle already has LED lights. Lot of wires (from the camera) but it fits in under the seat.
Some pics and video attached. Later will make a light module for the lens and make the wiring thinner and use magnetic connectors for the side case light.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Wheel Vehicle

Fuel tank Tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive tire

Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Automotive air manifold Automotive fuel system

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive exhaust

Automotive design Motor vehicle Motorcycle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Automotive tire Bicycle part Carbon Rim Automotive wheel system

Air gun Machine gun Automotive tire Camera accessory Shotgun

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thought I would share this. I made some non-performance modification. Performance wise it is pretty good.
Had a week to work on my bike and added the following mods.
i) Windscreen (helps immensely while riding on the highway). Definitely recommend it anyone riding a MT09.
ii) Dual USB Port- This was easy as the USB port came with a plug and play connectors.
iii) Phone Holder- Helps immensely while riding, especially as a GPS. I tried just using the Bluetooth, but would miss the voice commands.
iv) Helmet Lock - so I can the helmet on the mirror and leave the helmet. Also, this way I didn't had to get larger side cases.
v) GPS Tracker with Speed Talk SIM- Incase some steals it. Cost about $5 a month to run the data etc.
vi) DUAL 1080P Camera- Thought might come handy since the traffic is getting crazy and good to record videos of the ride at the same time (has a GPS too).
vii) Shad 3P Mounting System- Was the most non-intrusive design. Can barely notice it. The instructions are garbage though. If you get it, use some self locking nuts. Also, skip the 1st step.
viii) Shad SH23- Top Mounting side cases. No handles. Provides plenty of storage and not as wide as the larger cases.
ix) Lighting strip (auxiliary light-Brake Light, Turn signal, Running light) on the Side Cases- Straight forward. More light is better.
I got some connectors that were for Yamaha and made my own connectors, for the GPS Tracker, Camera, auxiliary lights. Made my own wiring harness with quick disconnect for the side cases. This was time consuming as I never worked with connectors and didn't had the right tools. But I didn't had to splice any of the factory wiring etc. But over all the wiring worked out easy. Didn't had to use any relay's or resistors as the motorcycle already has LED lights. Lot of wires (from the camera) but it fits in under the seat.
Some pics and video attached. Later will make a light module for the lens and make the wiring thinner and use magnetic connectors for the side case light.

View attachment 170736
View attachment 170738
View attachment 170745

View attachment 170741

View attachment 170744
View attachment 170739
View attachment 170740
View attachment 170737
Awesome mods! Could you measure the distance between the inside of the panniers?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm impressed with those panniers! Good job.
Thanks. I think it looks good and works. Makes it more practical for some of those days.

Man, those boxes look legit! Do you have pics of the bike with the boxes off? I might have to change up my setup. From the front, can't seem them. They work as a good grab handle too. Not sure if it would help in a tip over though. Not as intrusive. But if you want to keep the look completely clean, guess this is not for you then.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design

Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting

Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle Tire Automotive lighting

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome mods! Could you measure the distance between the inside of the panniers?
The inside distance at the back at the lower side is about 17.5 inches. On the top is about 13 inches. The overall is about 31 inches.
Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Cabinetry Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Light Automotive exterior Vehicle

Awesome build! well done!

Got a link or a brand for that helmet lock?

Thinking about getting similar panniers, leaning more towards the OEM Yamaha ones.
I got a cheap helmet lock. If someone is going to break it, they might as well break those expensive ones. For me it was just a way to secure the helmet so it doesn't fall down.
I got it off Ali-Express. 1.48US $ 76% OFF|Motorcycle Universal Helmet Lock Handlebar 22-26mm Anti-theft Security Motorbike - Motorcycle Helmet Lock - AliExpress
They sell for about 10-15 on Amazon.

The OEM ones from Yamaha is not available in US. I think they have soft cases available. I might be wrong. These were more affordable.

·
Registered
2021 MT-09, 2017 STI
248 Posts
Thanks so much for this post. I had discounted Shad previously because their luggage looked too "bulbous" for the most part, but I actually really dig how it looks now. Maybe I've not seen the slimmer 23L cases.

Any reason you went for the plastic case over the aluminum? Any chance you can stuff one case with common household stuff to see how much it actually fits? :p

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice bags. I run a simple 20L bag on the tail. Enough room for my laptop and a lunch bag for the office. I prefer to keep things "Hyper Naked".
That does help a lot I bet. I just wanted something to get rid of my jacket and gear to be honest! But I definitely like the idea of traveling light!

Thanks so much for this post. I had discounted Shad previously because their luggage looked too "bulbous" for the most part, but I actually really dig how it looks now. Maybe I've not seen the slimmer 23L cases.

Any reason you went for the plastic case over the aluminum? Any chance you can stuff one case with common household stuff to see how much it actually fits? :p
The SH23 is definitely slimmer. Do you mean plastic cover? I think I can order those at a later time. Or just wrap it or paint in the future. So I went with the most basic one. Sure I can do the test and post picture for you.

·
Registered
2021 MT-09, 2017 STI
248 Posts
The SH23 is definitely slimmer. Do you mean plastic cover? I think I can order those at a later time. Or just wrap it or paint in the future. So I went with the most basic one. Sure I can do the test and post picture for you.
I'm not sure, I just see two options on their site. One is standard and the other aluminum.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Natural foods Market Basket Event Plastic

I went grocery shopping at Target (chain super market in US). Was able to fit all of these in the paniers with some more room to spare.
on the left side:
2 cartons of milk,
2 lbs of cherries, 10 cans of cat food
2 packets of dried food. could have easily stored another box of tomatoes or something like that and few more small things.
on the ride side, 2 packets of baguttes (4 pcs), 1 doz eggs, banana, q tips, carrot juice.

Eggs made it home save and bananas didn't get smooshed either. So the pannier works. Much better than the side loading design.

·
Registered
134 Posts
View attachment 171057
I went grocery shopping at Target (chain super market in US). Was able to fit all of these in the paniers with some more room to spare.
on the left side:
2 cartons of milk,
2 lbs of cherries, 10 cans of cat food
2 packets of dried food. could have easily stored another box of tomatoes or something like that and few more small things.
on the ride side, 2 packets of baguttes (4 pcs), 1 doz eggs, banana, q tips, carrot juice.

Eggs made it home save and bananas didn't get smooshed either. So the pannier works. Much better than the side loading design.
Looks like they wouldn't work with a tail tidy. I may need to mount some in the future while retaining my tail tidy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks like they wouldn't work with a tail tidy. I may need to mount some in the future while retaining my tail tidy.
Maybe not. You will need the piece that is part of the tail bracket to hold the mounting system in place. Unless the tail tidy has a 4 screw bracket that goes here. If it does than it should work. The mounting system goes between the tail tidy and the motorcycle frame. I attached the installation pdf if that helps.
Motor vehicle Font Automotive exterior Naval architecture Art

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Yamaha MT-09
8 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts