Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2019 FZ-09
149 Posts
I agree with you. There is no other way to steer.
Serious question: how would you steer BEFORE you learned of countersteering?
... Maybe you countersteered before but didn't know that was what you were doing?
Yep, like most kids, I started out on a bicycle, and it's the same principle as motorcycle.
The Wright brothers are famous for the airplane, but they had a bicycle shop and actually discussed countersteering back then

I agree with JCFZ9, everything he said. Pretty early on, instinctively we find that if we want to go left and turn the bars to the left - something odd happens. It is not the same thing as when the "training wheels" were on and the bike steered like a tricycle, or 4 wheel vehicle. Something was different.

I meet a lot of riders, especially older guys like me who never had a MSF course where the topic was ever mentioned - and they are sort of "disbelievers".
And there are those who have heard of it, but don't get too deep on the subject. When the Sh*t hits the fan and they panic, perhaps the instinct kicks in and they countersteer to swerve, or get the bike to make the tight turn. The tires can grip more than our brains tell us during an Oh Sh*t moment.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Hi guys,
The list of parts required for repair is as follows.
The parts list is in Turkish, sorry for that.
Currently, the second-hand value of the motorcycle is 350KTurkish liras. Total parts list is 212K Turkish liras.

Font Material property Number Paper Paper product

Font Rectangle Paper Parallel Number

Font Material property Paper Document Paper product

Font Paper product Paper Number Document

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
2,115 Posts
Serious question: how would you steer BEFORE you learned of countersteering? Throw your body weight to the side you wanted to turn to? I've always used countersteer to turn/change lanes and can't understand how people don't. It's funny to see the harley guys trying to throw their weight to the side. Maybe you countersteered before but didn't know that was what you were doing?
That's a good question. I've gotten behind other motorcycles getting on or off highways with cloverleaf type ramps and seen riders that can barely get around the turn. They were sort of doing a series of square offs that was downright scary to watch. Leads me to guess that not everyone does it naturally.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Did you ride bicycles as a kid? I did, and was never taught 'turn right, go left' or even heard of the term countersteering. After a lot of trial and error, your body learns what to do to make the bike change directions, even if you don't grasp exactly what's going on, or how/why it works. In reality, I was countersteering the whole time, I just didn't realize it. With a bicycle, it takes very little steering input to change direction, so maybe that makes it that much harder to understand what's really happening.
Exactly, its a subconscious action, not something anyone concentrates on or practices doing while riding.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I’ve a 21 mt09 sp and after seeing the pics of the damaged bike I am not concerned, that bike came off the roads at 50 mph and hit who knows what in the hedge bottom, I think the bike has had a right old bang to do that damage, the near side fork looks bent to me and the mudguard bracket are smashed off, I can’t read the parts list but there seems to be lots of them much more than you would expect from a simple slide off the road.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
I was out on a road i ride every time I get out to ride and I had a guy I have road with a few times B4 this ride , He was on a FZ07 . I was leading he was second and my buddy I ride with was 3rd we Go into a turn that was about a 45 deg turn with a side road mid turn on the right { thinking this is about a 56 mph turn} . I get past that point and he comes in after me i'm thinking to hot and where that side road comes in there is gravel on the far right he panics because he is to wide and is ready to hit the gravel at a lean so he straightens up and goes off the road. Flat land tall grass seems to be all flat .Well his bike looked just like the one in Post #1 but the forks where a bit more bent , Some hoses and lines the only thing keeping the forks attached to the bike. He came out ok... but on inspection of the off road ride he went about 20' in and found that there was a ditch 4' wide and 5' deep covered with tall grass .Thinking he hit the far side of the ditch it pitched him about 25' and the bike landed about 15' from where he landed with the ditch 15' behind the bike so I'm thinking your bike had hit something to get that kind of damage.

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
I suspect that before counter steering became a widely accepted technique, riders were doing it subconsciously.
When you leant into a corner, especially on those old narrow tyres we had, more weight went onto the inner side of the bars. This induced a counter steering force which on those easy steering tyres was enough to maintain a turn.

Reactions: Shaun64
61 - 70 of 70 Posts