Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Do you know of a chassis breakage similar to this on MT09-SP before 2021?
You can break anything if you hit it hard enough or in the wrong way.
I've seen snapped steering necks on other bikes. My '14 09 had a piece of the frame that bolts to the cylinder head break off when it was hit by an SUV. And it also knocked a hole in the crankcase.

·
Administrator
3,164 Posts
I'm not understanding. Are you saying that steel is more likely to crack and fail the way that this guys bike did? When I had my head on with my XSR900, the entire head stock was crumbling. I wouldn't have thought that steel would not have fallen apart that way. It would have been twisted.
The steel frames bent. Aluminum fractures.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
The fork tubes, fork uppers (times two) and yokes are quite beefy in comparison to the head stock area. Looking at the picture, the casting is incredibly thin in that area. Add in all the leverage that a 3' long front end assembly imparts to the headstock and it's no wonder the frame would fail before the other components.

I think we're seeing an example of Yamaha has gone too far in the search for lightness and/or seeing just how little material is needed. You'd never see a paper thin headstock like that on a cast aluminum framed offroad bike. Sure, these MT's aren't meant to land jumps or hop logs...but potholes are still a thing.
I didn't jump from a ditch or a bump. The chassis is so thin it's really frightening.🥺

·
Registered
452 Posts
I didn't jump from a ditch or a bump.
Could the grass have hidden some sort of hazard that the bike hit? (Anybody who has ridden offroad or done some mountain biking knows to be cautious going through grass.) Because something caused the front end of that bike to separate

The chassis is so thin it's really frightening.🥺
Have you seen how thin the aluminum skin of an airplane is? THAT is frightening, since it's the only thing that keeps you from being sucked out into the heavens at 35000 feet. Yet it works fine as long as the airplane is operated within its design parameters. If you don't....better have a parachute.

What I'm getting at is....it was a crash. They don't design bikes to survive crashes.
Just be thankful it was the bike that broke apart and not you.

·
Premium Member
3,295 Posts
Yamaha Dealer says it's the first time they've seen something like this.
I have not seen a broken MT09 chassis around me either (all generation).
I have been here from the beginning and don't recall any frame issues.
I have no idea how that much damage could be done to the frame without destroying the surrounding components,
Gokhan, you're a very lucky guy.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
2,115 Posts
I have no idea how that much damage could be done to the frame without destroying the surrounding components,
That damage looks almost as bad as my head on with a car. There must have been an angel on his shoulder.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
For future reference, always pump your brakes if you grab them and they don't work. Wobbles can push the pads in giving you no brakes when you pull the lever. Pumping them will push them back into the rotors. Sorry about your misfortune.

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
All the critical items like brakes are visible on a bike. A leak that'll empty a master cylinder would be bleedingly obvious.
Do people not do pre flights on bikes anymore?
Or is that just something us old farts did?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
All the critical items like brakes are visible on a bike. A leak that'll empty a master cylinder would be bleedingly obvious.
Do people not do pre flights on bikes anymore?
Or is that just something us old farts did?
Hi @LouG,

I use my motorcycle once a week. I check tire pressures before every ride (xiaomi mi portable electric air comp).
I also check the visible places. I clean my motorcycle myself. Sometimes i find many errors this way. I even have a memory about it. But i will forward this in a different post.

After the accident the reservoir was still full.
It leaks from the marked place when you press the brake. This causes pressure loss. I think this part came loose from the vibration on the handlebar.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
For future reference, always pump your brakes if you grab them and they don't work. Wobbles can push the pads in giving you no brakes when you pull the lever. Pumping them will push them back into the rotors. Sorry about your misfortune.
I hope I never experience anything like this again.
Thanks for the advice. I will keep this in mind @DNFDOUG. Unfortunately i didn't do much out of panic.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Like I said, I think that day is my new birthday @shamrock :)
I was very lucky in this accident.
I'm fine, the rest doesn't matter.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Could the grass have hidden some sort of hazard that the bike hit? (Anybody who has ridden offroad or done some mountain biking knows to be cautious going through grass.) Because something caused the front end of that bike to separate

Have you seen how thin the aluminum skin of an airplane is? THAT is frightening, since it's the only thing that keeps you from being sucked out into the heavens at 35000 feet. Yet it works fine as long as the airplane is operated within its design parameters. If you don't....better have a parachute.

What I'm getting at is....it was a crash. They don't design bikes to survive crashes.
Just be thankful it was the bike that broke apart and not you.
I didn't hit my head on the ground.
None of my equipment was damaged.
I had a dainese avro d4 leather jacket and shoei nxr helmet. Spidi long gloves. Protected kevlar pants

Sports gear Automotive design Luggage and bags Comfort Grey

There are some scratches on the helmet.
The helmet pattern doesn't really reflect me. Unfortunately when i bought it, there was only this one apart from solid colors
Helmet Motorcycle helmet Cap Sleeve Grey

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yamaha Dealer says it's the first time they've seen something like this.
I have not seen a broken MT09 chassis around me either (all generation).
They always say it was the first time they saw but new gens have a lot of problems. Hope everything goes well and you can make it run again.

·
Registered
965 Posts
To tell the truth, i don't know how to make wheelie. Before Mt09 I had MT07. I drove 30K km. This is the first thing that comes to people's mind.
I usually use my bike on corners (example video: http://instagr.am/p/CfPenlzFC7t/ ).
You put 30k on a mt07 and you didn't learn how to make a wheelie ?

·
Registered
2019 FZ-09
149 Posts
When I pressed the front brake, the motorcycle did not slow down...
... I panicked. I entered the bushes by the roadside (~80KM/h). Luckily there were no trees or stones or traffic sign in the bush. There is no difference in height with the road.

The front chassis of my motorcycle broke and fell on the ground.
What a bummer. Did you happen to take any photos of the accident scene?
So puzzling that the frame broke with this described accident. Not that I don't believe you - obviously something happened.
But it would be helpful to see an overview of the scene to understand the forces involved.
There would have to be a hell of a bump, or hitting something.
It appears that the front brake hose is loose and is leaking hydraulics when applying the brakes.
Observed AFTER the accident, right? From what I can see from the photo, there is damage at the hose from the reservoir to the master cylinder.
The other brake line from the master cylinder to the disc calipers appears intact where it connects to the master cylinder.
You could completely remove a reservoir, and the fluid retained in the master cylinder should provide "some" breaking force for that first squeeze of the brake lever.
... I panicked. I entered the bushes by the roadside.
On a personal note, we all try to figure out what we could have done differently after something goes wrong.
My advice could be summed up in one word - "countersteering".

40 years ago, before there were safety courses, I knew Keith Code, he wrote a book called "Twist of the Wrist".
Keith told me about countersteering - and I replied that he was crazy. You don't turn the bars to the left if you want to turn right.

But of course Keith was correct, and I experimented and learned about countersteering.
We all do it instinctively. As a child on a tricycle, you turn left to go left.
With training wheels on a bicycle, you turn left to go left.
Take the training wheels off the bike, and all hell breaks loose. You sort of figure it out, and "riding a bike" becomes an instinct. We don't even think about it.

I had been riding motorcycles for over 10 years when I met Keith, and was riding by instinct.
A couple weeks later I was riding my old Harley sportster too fast in the Hollywood hills and came upon a sharp turn in the road.
I did what Keith said, and countersteered, on purpose, and then did it harder, and made the turn (barely).
That old bike had a drum brake in front, and may not have been much better than what you experienced.

Ever since that day about 40 years ago, I actively KNOW that I am initiating a turn by countersteering.
Once we are into a turn the bars are turned in the direction we are going, but to make the bike turn more, we turn the wrong way which leans the bike into the turn more.
The tires can withstand much more than what my small brain thinks they can do when panicked.
If we consciously think about countersteering, it becomes the instinct we react with when faced with a need to change direction.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts