Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I am Gökhan from Istanbul/Turkey.
I've been riding motorcycle for 6 years(~70K km). I bought my MT09sp on August 26, 2021.

On Saturday, July 23, 2022, we went to the mountain roads we always go with my friends.
When I pressed the front brake, the motorcycle did not slow down (the front brake was empty).
I needed a little brake and the brake was empty, I panicked. I entered the bushes by the roadside (~80KM/h). Luckily there were no trees or stones or traffic sign in the bush. There is no difference in height with the road.

The front chassis of my motorcycle broke and fell on the ground. Damage increased tremendously (chassis, exhaust, radiator...). There was no bend in the handlebars and the brake/clutch etc.

Pictures of my motorcycle after the accident are as attached. There were no signs of impact on my front rim and tire (My tires are new and at about 1000km (Pirelli Rosso 4)).
My motorcycle was at 13.500 km. My motorcycle was serviced every 5K km.

It appears that the front brake hose is loose and is leaking hydraulics when applying the brakes.

On the day of the accident, I sent my motorcycle to the Yamaha Turkey dealer for inspection.
It's not normal for the front brake to be empty. Even though I didn't hit my motorcycle anywhere, it was not normal for the chassis to break.
Yamaha Turkey completed its investigation and reported that everything was normal (31 August 2022).

My health is fine.
I have a fracture (fibula) in my left ankle.

Thanks.

Automotive tire Motorcycle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system

Automotive tire Cameras & optics Camera accessory Rim Gas

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Administrator
3,164 Posts
Absolutely terrifying... Glad you're alive.

It appears that the front brake hose is loose and is leaking hydraulics when applying the brakes.
It would behoove everyone to double check this on your 3rd gen. (Hell, everyone do a good inspection on your bike before riding like we're trained to.)

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
2,115 Posts
Modern motorcycles are very fragile. Rebuilding a 77 Honda makes that very clear. The old stuff is very heavy. New is so much aluminum and lightweight materials. The new stuff is strong in resisting forces for performance but the old is built like it was meant to crash and just be picked up and ridden. Fork tubes would bend much easier on an old bike but you'd never see a frame break like that.

·
Premium Member
3,295 Posts
That damage is quite impressive and I'm thinking that to many hard wheelie landings got a crack started. There just doesn't look like enough other damage from a crash to break the frame.
I've gone through two sets of fork seals and one set of head bearings with my crappy landings so I'm heading out to the garage right now to inspect the headstock on my 2014.
Welcome to the forum Gokhan.

·
Administrator
3,164 Posts
Modern motorcycles are very fragile. Rebuilding a 77 Honda makes that very clear. The old stuff is very heavy. New is so much aluminum and lightweight materials. The new stuff is strong in resisting forces for performance but the old is built like it was meant to crash and just be picked up and ridden. Fork tubes would bend much easier on an old bike but you'd never see a frame break like that.
Older motorcycle frames were predominantly steel, which is much more ductile than a >6000 series aluminum. So fracture failures would be more likely than bending. That crashed older bike you picked up and rode home would still be tweaked. :LOL:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Absolutely terrifying... Glad you're alive. Yes :) I think this is my second birthday (23 July 2022 14:30)

It would behoove everyone to double check this on your 3rd gen. (Hell, everyone do a good inspection on your bike before riding like we're trained to.)
Hi @MK3Brent, i think the front brake came loose from the vibration on the handlebar.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@ChesterBurnet, Sure i thought the same thing. You said what was on my mind (y).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That damage is quite impressive and I'm thinking that to many hard wheelie landings got a crack started. There just doesn't look like enough other damage from a crash to break the frame.
I've gone through two sets of fork seals and one set of head bearings with my crappy landings so I'm heading out to the garage right now to inspect the headstock on my 2014.
Welcome to the forum Gokhan.
To tell the truth, i don't know how to make wheelie. Before Mt09 I had MT07. I drove 30K km. This is the first thing that comes to people's mind.
I usually use my bike on corners (example video: http://instagr.am/p/CfPenlzFC7t/ ).

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
2,115 Posts
Older motorcycle frames were predominantly steel, which is much more ductile than a >6000 series aluminum. So fracture failures would be more likely than bending. That crashed older bike you picked up and rode home would still be tweaked. :LOL:
I'm not understanding. Are you saying that steel is more likely to crack and fail the way that this guys bike did? When I had my head on with my XSR900, the entire head stock was crumbling. I wouldn't have thought that steel would not have fallen apart that way. It would have been twisted.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do you know of a chassis breakage similar to this on MT09-SP before 2021?
Yamaha Dealer says it's the first time they've seen something like this.
I have not seen a broken MT09 chassis around me either (all generation).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I asked Yamaha Turkey for the parts list necessary for the motorcycle to run again.
I will share with you the parts list when it comes.
If it's too expensive I'm thinking of scrapping it. :( :(

·
Registered
602 Posts
That's kind of insane, glad you're ok. But, that's an insane break. It doesn't even look like there's much damage to anything else
The fork tubes, fork uppers (times two) and yokes are quite beefy in comparison to the head stock area. Looking at the picture, the casting is incredibly thin in that area. Add in all the leverage that a 3' long front end assembly imparts to the headstock and it's no wonder the frame would fail before the other components.

I think we're seeing an example of Yamaha has gone too far in the search for lightness and/or seeing just how little material is needed. You'd never see a paper thin headstock like that on a cast aluminum framed offroad bike. Sure, these MT's aren't meant to land jumps or hop logs...but potholes are still a thing.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts