Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2021 MT-09 SP
14 Posts
I don't see a recommendation to register with and use Yamalube for 20 year 100k mile engine warranty. Is this not something people are doing? Buying 2021 SP Saturday. Curious.
I'm buying a 2021 MT09 sp next Saturday. How do you prove you have only used Yamalube in it? I guess you'll need to keep the receipts from buying the oil.

·
Registered
2021 MT-09 SP
14 Posts
Yes, and you have to log into the site and log every service, with part numbers and mileage.
Hmmm,

"Yamaha Motor Corporation, U.S.A., through its operating brand “Yamalube,” subject to the limitations as stated herein, hereby warrants to Covered Customers only that the engine in their Qualified Product will be free from any Qualified Breakdown due to engine oil failure for the period of time stated herein and, in the event of such a Qualified Breakdown, Yamalube’s sole responsibility will be to pay reasonable expenses, for the Covered Parts and Covered Labor involved in the repair of the engine for the Qualified Product, not to exceed the Qualified Product’s Fair Market Value, to return it to operational status. Yamalube’s obligation to repair or replace any listed Covered Parts as may be required is the sole and exclusive remedy available to Covered Customer under this Limited Warranty. Yamalube is only responsible for the repairs it approves."

So it only covers damage from a failure in the engine oil. Not sure that protection is worth the effort.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hmmm,

"Yamaha Motor Corporation, U.S.A., through its operating brand “Yamalube,” subject to the limitations as stated herein, hereby warrants to Covered Customers only that the engine in their Qualified Product will be free from any Qualified Breakdown due to engine oil failure for the period of time stated herein and, in the event of such a Qualified Breakdown, Yamalube’s sole responsibility will be to pay reasonable expenses, for the Covered Parts and Covered Labor involved in the repair of the engine for the Qualified Product, not to exceed the Qualified Product’s Fair Market Value, to return it to operational status. Yamalube’s obligation to repair or replace any listed Covered Parts as may be required is the sole and exclusive remedy available to Covered Customer under this Limited Warranty. Yamalube is only responsible for the repairs it approves."

So it only covers damage from a failure in the engine oil. Not sure that protection is worth the effort.
Extended warranties are BS, yes. But I use yamalube anyway, on the correct intervals. Might as well log it, can’t hurt anything. But no, I wouldn’t go out of your way for it.

·
Administrator
3,039 Posts
Extended warranties are BS, yes. But I use yamalube anyway, on the correct intervals. Might as well log it, can’t hurt anything. But no, I wouldn’t go out of your way for it.
There are documented cases of owners with the YES program getting engine replacements covered. Not all “extended warranties” are created equal, and not all are “BS.”

·
Registered
2021 MT-09 SP
14 Posts
There are documented cases of owners with the YES program getting engine replacements covered. Not all “extended warranties” are created equal, and not all are “BS.”
While I didn't call the program BS, having a failure OF a quality motor oil is very very rare. And I suspect that Yamalube is a quality oil. It just seems to be a pretty rare event to have the oil break down and then cause an engine failure or damage. But I do know a guy with a Super Tenere that had to replace his engine. I'm not sure of the cause and he bought the bike used, so he wouldn't have been able to use this program at all.

·
Registered
2021 MT-09 SP
14 Posts
Does anyone recall the size of the crush washer for the drain plug. What oil weight is specified? What filter's are good? I'm getting the bike in a week or so and wanted to have the parts on hand for an oil change. Does a company sell a complete kit with all the required parts?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Quick question - On 900km so will be taking the bike to the dealer for the first run in service at 1,000km. I’m sure they know what they are doing and I will be taking the service log/manual with me

but what should they actually be doing? What shall I double check they have done before I ride it back home? So far I have the following from what I gathered on the various forum posts….

1. check oil and change oil - I will be asking them to show me the oil and to verify any metal shavings?

2. check and replace oil filter

3. match throttle revs?? I saw this but didn’t understand it

4. general checks for nuts and bolts, tyres,

Anything else I should be insisting they check?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Your owner's manual tells you what will be performed. Oil/filter change and throttle body sync. You can easily change the oil yourself and sync the throttle bodies with a carb tuning tool (air or liquid gauge: SyncPro™ Carb Tuner - Motion Pro). You should install a magnetic drain plug too (Gold Plug Magnetic Drain Plug MP-05). Another reason to do it yourself as the dealer won't do this. Unless it is magnetic from stock which I doubt. I highly recommend using an official service manual in PDF or print format. It will tell you everything you need to know (for the most part) about servicing your MT right down to torque specs and diagrams which help with reassembling the bike. They are immensely helpful. Here is the one I have: MT-09 Service Manual.pdf

Not servicing it at the dealer for the first service will not void your warranty. You may not even need to sync the throttle bodies. Put some fresh oil and filter in, put on a magnetic drain plug (new crush washer every time ideally - 14mm), and run it like Yamahas are designed...hard....Braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap! :)

21 - 40 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.