Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, Just got a quote for around 500 USD for the first service in Washington, USA. I do not think its worth it especially since I always had issues with the other older bikes after the service folks worked on it. So here i am planning to do my first service by myself.

The bike is a 2021 MT09. Any advice on the tools, lube and filters i should use? Any specific tools that i’ll need? Also, I live in an apartment - any advice on what might be good things to have so as to keep the common garage clean?

I do have a Service Manual that I brought from ebay (some thread right here on these forums) which suggests doing some checks using ydt. Any advice on how folks do this at home?

As a part of the service, most of the tasks in the manual are checks. The only things to replace are engine oil and engine oil cartridge. Any general advice on something about these tasks or any other things that I should know before starting to work on this?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
If the ‘21’s are like prior years, be prepared for the drain bolt and filter to be cranked on stupidly tight. Use a good filter wrench, take your time and do NOT slam a screwdriver through the filter like others have and puncture the oil cooler. Depending on mileage, you might want to refill with full synthetic depending on your preference. TONS of oil threads on the forum, and I won’t reopen than can-o-worms. Don’t overthink it, oil changes on these bikes take 10-15 minutes start to finish. For the common garage issue, buy a low profile oil collection pan and dump the used oil back in the containers for easy storage and recycling. Eazy peazy. Best of luck brah🤙

·
Registered
127 Posts
Throttle sync not required on the first service.

Just change the oil, adjust the chain and keep riding mate. 17mm socket, filter wrench (65mm/14flats), 3litres of 10-40, filter and sump plug washer from Yamaha.

Things that you should be checking all the time anyway, is it idling OK, are the head and wheel bearings OK, brake reservoirs OK, coolant OK, tyre pressures OK, fork seals OK?

I wouldn't even worry about any diagnostic tool until you get a light on the dash or it starts running badly.

·
Registered
2021 MT-09
70 Posts
Wow. It seems your WA dealer charges almost twice what my CA dealer does for the 1st scheduled service! And yes, aside from the oil and filter change, it is all cable and other adjustments, and I also was told when I purchased my MT that they're supposed to sync the fuel injection because the factory only gets it "close" enough...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info y’all. I was going over the service manual which tells me to replace the gasket on the drain bolt and also have a new O ring fir the filler cap. Are these standard across all bikes or is this something I need to purchase for the specifications from a yamaha dealer?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Throttle sync not required on the first service.

Just change the oil, adjust the chain and keep riding mate. 17mm socket, filter wrench (65mm/14flats), 3litres of 10-40, filter and sump plug washer from Yamaha.

Things that you should be checking all the time anyway, is it idling OK, are the head and wheel bearings OK, brake reservoirs OK, coolant OK, tyre pressures OK, fork seals OK?

I wouldn't even worry about any diagnostic tool until you get a light on the dash or it starts running badly.
What’s a sump plug washer from yamaha and why do i need it / where does it go?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow. It seems your WA dealer charges almost twice what my CA dealer does for the 1st scheduled service! And yes, aside from the oil and filter change, it is all cable and other adjustments, and I also was told when I purchased my MT that they're supposed to sync the fuel injection because the factory only gets it "close" enough...
That last part about the fuel injection sync, is this something that only authorized service folks can do? I am a little hesitant on having to let them work on my bike because of horrible reviews. Some other local service centers seem to have a much better record.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
You have the service manual, look it up or dig through the threads here. One is fixed and the other 2 can be set to match.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Sump plug washer, also known as crush washer..it’s on the drain plug and you may get away with reusing it, I have but they’re cheap insurance. Peace of mind knowing your drain plug won’t leak..buy a bunch and have them on hand for each oil change if that’s your preference. Check Amazon or similar and you‘ll find them way cheaper than at the stealership

·
Registered
34 Posts
Wow, If you are not sure what the sump plug washer is , I suggest you pay the money to get a service center to do the job.
I sincerely hope you are just taking the p--- with this comment. o_O

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sump plug washer, also known as crush washer..it’s on the drain plug and you may get away with reusing it, I have but they’re cheap insurance. Peace of mind knowing your drain plug won’t leak..buy a bunch and have them on hand for each oil change if that’s your preference. Check Amazon or similar and you‘ll find them way cheaper than at the stealership
Gotcha. Thanks bro!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, If you are not sure what the sump plug washer is , I suggest you pay the money to get a service center to do the job.
I sincerely hope you are just taking the p--- with this comment. o_O
More of like English isn’t my first language so not very well versed with niche names like this. I am pretty well versed with tools though so i should be fine.

·
Registered
127 Posts
If you are struggling with the workshop manual then download the owners manual in your native tongue from the Yamaha website. Changing the oil is covered on pages 7-11 and 7-12.

You only need to replace the O-ring in the oil filler cap if it's damaged (it won't be).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you are struggling with the workshop manual then download the owners manual in your native tongue from the Yamaha website. Changing the oil is covered on pages 7-11 and 7-12.

You only need to replace the O-ring in the oil filler cap if it's damaged (it won't be).

Gotcha. I think the new filter comes with a new o ring. If not, I’ll just reuse the old.

Thanks for the tip of language specific owners manual.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Gotcha. I think the new filter comes with a new o ring. If not, I’ll just reuse the old.

Thanks for the tip of language specific owners manual.
Again, you're getting yourself confused. You originally mentioned the O-Ring on the oil filler cap.....
service manual which tells me to replace the gasket on the drain bolt and also have a new O ring fir the filler cap.
.....which is what I was answering. The oil filter has the O-Ring built in.

This thread really has over complicated what is a very easy job! Just get it done mate.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Again, you're getting yourself confused. You originally mentioned the O-Ring on the oil filler cap.....

.....which is what I was answering. The oil filter has the O-Ring built in.

This thread really has over complicated what is a very easy job! Just get it done mate.
Oh daym Autocorrect. My bad. I meant the O ring on the filter in the original message. Autocorrect changed the filter to filler.

Thanks again buddy. It does look pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
5,984 Posts
I always get the dealer to do the first service, then there is less liklihood of a dispute whether subsequent issues could be the result of improper work by the owner. From then I do my own.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Throttle body sync is required on every service. The service manual states that. It's not hard to do. You need vacuum gauges and a screw driver. If you can find a mercury filled one, get it otherwise there are others you can buy online or the dealership should have them

1 - 20 of 34 Posts