Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I watched a YouTube video where someone installed asv levers from revzilla for the 2021 MT09.

The levers he linked were the asv’s that push into the master cylinder from the right to left but the new 2021 has the levers that pushe from forward to backward.

How did he get this to work?

Here is the link to the YouTube video and in the description he links the levers.

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
2,485 Posts
Looks like he used an R1/R6 brake lever, which makes sense. That’s likely the radial master cylinder assembly they fitted to the ‘21 MT...

·
Registered
39 Posts
YZF-R1 2015+ / YZF-R6 2017+ levers should work. Rizoma list for fitment of their levers list those two models, plus the ‘21 MT-09

I hope that’s true because I just ordered a set!

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Pro tip: If you check the links in the video description, they take you to Revzilla’s page for those specific part numbers, so order those and you’ll be good. If you want to double check to be sure, you can fill in different bikes and see if they say the parts are compatible. For instance, for the brake lever he used, if you put in “2020 R6” it will tell you the part fits that bike. The clutch lever he used fits a 2020 MT09, which means that part is the same on the ‘21 (and probably any other MT/FZ/XSR)...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pro tip: If you check the links in the video description, they take you to Revzilla’s page for those specific part numbers, so order those and you’ll be good. If you want to double check to be sure, you can fill in different bikes and see if they say the parts are compatible. For instance, for the brake lever he used, if you put in “2020 R6” it will tell you the part fits that bike. The clutch lever he used fits a 2020 MT09, which means that part is the same on the ‘21 (and probably any other MT/FZ/XSR)...
Thank you. I did and it didn’t look the radial master cylinder from the lever pictures. That’s why I opened the thread. I just tried that and it worked for the R6.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
You’ll have to trust YouTube Guy that the levers are a match. In Yamaha’s parts catalog, the levers and master cylinders have different part numbers between the two bikes. However, that doesn’t necessarily mean they’re not interchangeable. If there’s even a tiny cosmetic difference between two parts, they’ll slap it with a whole different part number...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Success!! Yamaha R1 and R6 shorty levers fit perfectly.

Yes I did get the Amazon $45 dollar asv look a likes. I’ve had ASV’s before and they got it pretty close.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Not even the SP has adjustable clutch lever, so with cruise control, what options are for those bikes??? They require a different lever, due to the extra cruise switch.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Not even the SP has adjustable clutch lever, so with cruise control, what options are for those bikes??? They require a different lever, due to the extra cruise switch.
Should be the same fitment. Fairly certain the cruise control uses the same clutch switch that prevents you from starting it in gear without the clutch lever pulled in.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Nope. At least on my ex-MT-10, there was a second one, requiring a special lever, which was hard to find (ended up with Pazzo ones, since all cheaper alternatives didn't work). The cruise on the MT-09 looks identical to my ex-MT-10, so I'd almost bet my house the switches will be the same too.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Good thing you didn’t bet your house, otherwise I’d be asking when I can move in haha

The blue lever is an MZS clutch lever for the previous gen MT-09 which obviously didn’t have cruise control. The platform for the clutch switch is in the exact same position as the one currently on the bike. The only reason I didn’t install this lever, is because the brake side is R1/R6 style which makes the other MZS lever I have redundant.

Regardless it would appear there isn’t anything special about the SP’s cruise control switch and that it does use the regular clutch switches position. Interestingly enough it does sound like the clutch switch has two positions as two audible clicks are present as you pull the lever in.

A quick look at the wiring diagram for the SP would probably confirm. I’ll check that when I have some time.
Either way, I’d be happy to confirm fitment once my JPR R1/R6 levers show up 👍🏻

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
The best way to check..I did this when no one had any levers on the market for the FZ1 when it came out.... Look up the lever part numbers on the MT09 on Yamaha's web sight...then go looking into the R1 and R6 levers ....may have to look up many years till you find a match with the same part numbers..takes time but then you know you have the right ones to install..This is how CRG became kits for the first gen FZ1 They told me to be careful with the brake side so that it would not lock up but is all worked so I was the first to have CRG levers on the FZ1 and CRG had kits available for the FZ1! I do not remember but one side used the R6 and the other side used a R1 ... So for this model you may have to look at other models not just R6 or R1.. A little research go's a long way !

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thise break levers do not fit, clutch does.. i ordered and tried
Are you saying that the previous gen MT-09 levers don’t fit? Or the 2015+ R1/2017+ R6 levers don’t fit?

If you’re referring to the <2020 MT-09, then yes the brake lever definitely won’t fit, but there’s at least two examples of the R1/R6 levers having been installed/working

·
Registered
39 Posts
The best way to check..I did this when no one had any levers on the market for the FZ1 when it came out.... Look up the lever part numbers on the MT09 on Yamaha's web sight...then go looking into the R1 and R6 levers ....may have to look up many years till you find a match with the same part numbers..takes time but then you know you have the right ones to install.
The problem is, I did try this, but because the levers start with “B7N” it’s an entirely new part number. The only bike they share that number with is the new Tracer 900. Maybe because it’s a new colour, I’m not really sure.

Aside from the video/info posted above, Rizoma changed the fitment list for their late model R1/R6 levers to include the 21+ MT-09, which is how I personally came to the conclusion that they should fit

1 - 20 of 34 Posts