Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
My main point is on an FZ / MT it is overkill as the balance of the bike is not up to near that level. And I prefaced my opinion "despite what the manufacturer may say".

I installed R1 front rotors and radial master cylinder and HH+ pads and would have easily modulated and progressive high-G braking with 1 finger if I didn't have arthritis and carpal tunnel issues, so I have to use 2 fingers.

·
Administrator
3,304 Posts
My main point is on an FZ / MT it is overkill as the balance of the bike is not up to near that level. And I prefaced my opinion "despite what the manufacturer may say".

I installed R1 front rotors and radial master cylinder and HH+ pads and would have easily modulated and progressive high-G braking with 1 finger if I didn't have arthritis and carpal tunnel issues, so I have to use 2 fingers.
Yeah man, as soon as I went to a radial master the bike stops with great confidence now. It's a night and day difference in performance.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Whats wrong with overkill?
I had r1 MC and rotors on my mt09s, too, to go with my upgraded suspension. So imagine that feeling turned up to 11 with @fred1962 s lightweight carbon wheels and carbon rotors?

I remeber the change in my 711 when i put forged carrozzeria's and the lightweight carbon centred rotors on. Not just the improvement to the braking, but the handling, too.

·
Administrator
3,304 Posts
Whats wrong with overkill?
I had r1 MC and rotors on my mt09s, too, to go with my upgraded suspension. So imagine that feeling turned up to 11 with @fred1962 s lightweight carbon wheels and carbon rotors?

I remeber the change in my 711 when i put forged carrozzeria's and the lightweight carbon centred rotors on. Not just the improvement to the braking, but the handling, too.
Before I got my spare OEM wheels to put TD tires on, I seriously contemplated those CF wheels. The unsprung weight alone would make the bike even more incredible at flicking from side to side.
In fact, maybe next season I'll sell my spares and just do it. They're so nice. :oops:

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
My old gsxr 711 was about 185kgs wet and 130hp at the wheel. 1196cc big bore, up from 1052 of the original 1987 model engine, in a 750 frame.
Huge change when i put the carros on. First track day it just went on its side and held the line, effortless.
Carbon wheels are even better.
Forged alloy has most weight in the rim.
Carbon wheels have most weight in the spokes so when they are spinning, a carbon set feels lighter.
Its also why lightweight rotors make sense. Less gyroscopic weight.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have done 320mm rotors, HH EBC pads & Hell lines on my 21 09, has improved things, I do have a Brembo front master to fit as well will do that when I do the Brembo front calipers which I have not bought yet.
Hey mate. Noticed you installed some aftermarket brake lines per your post. How hard was it to install the front lines. I looked at the bike and can’t see how I can unscrew from the abs block without removing tank or dropping the radiator. I got some Fren Turbo lines and trying to prep for the job as it seems quite involved. Will be doing this on my mt09 sp 2022. Any tips would be great.

·
Registered
744 Posts
On my 2016, 2017 & 2018 09SP I installed the 5 Hell front brake lines, on my 2021 & 2022 gen 3 09SP'S I installed only 3 Hell custom made front lines, yes you have to remove the tank not radiator to fit 3 front brake lines, the 5 lines are harder to install. The brake lines made very little difference to lever travel may be 5% better.

A few of Kevxtx mods | Page 14 | Yamaha FZ-09 Forum (fz09.org)

·
Registered
17 Posts
On my 2016, 2017 & 2018 09SP I installed the 5 Hell front brake lines, on my 2021 & 2022 gen 3 09SP'S I installed only 3 Hell custom made front lines, yes you have to remove the tank not radiator to fit 3 front brake lines, the 5 lines are harder to install. The brake lines made very little difference to lever travel may be 5% better.

A few of Kevxtx mods | Page 14 | Yamaha FZ-09 Forum (fz09.org)
Thank you for replying. Yep I had a few more looks under the tank in whatever I could see without removing it and realised I do need to take it all off to do it properly. I have the 5 lines so will need to wait until I do spark plugs and air filter and do it all at once. Good to know that the lever feel doesnt really change. I noticed as much in my other bikes with and without braided lines. I will do it more for looks and to avoid having to replace them due to age.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Anyone tried the Sintered pads from TRW?

Which would you choose out of these:

Brembo Sintered Road Front Brake Pads
Snell Sintered Tech Long Life front Brake Pads
TRW Sintered SV Front Brake Lining
I've not used them on the MT ive got Vesrah RJL on it. Great predictable progressive feel and really good stopping power but have to be warmed up. Not the best choice in cooler or wet riding conditions on street.
I do have the TRW/Brembo on my Aprilia and they are great on the street.
Almost touchy the initial bite is so strong. It's stop and stop now when you go on the lever hard. That's fine though as I ride the mountains where the deer and other critters roam free and a lot so it's really nice when you have a pucker factor of ten going because of some Emo animal has decided to end it all.
Work well in rain just be careful with non abs bikes and strong braking systems, can easily skid front when grab a handful.
As far as lasting seem OK, I've had them on about 7k miles seem to be holding up well.
Bout neck and neck with the ebc double h sintered pads I used last time on it.
Honestly regardless initial cost, quality pads and rotors far cheaper than bodywork and er visits.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had good results with TRW SV in previous bike and bad wooden feel with Brembo.Also liked EBC on '17 MT and strangely don't like them on my current '21. I will try TRW.
From what I was told by the salesman the TRW.and Brembo pad came out of the same factory. Whether that is true or not I'm not sure.
I do know for the price I gave for the TRW I am well pleased.
Also I noticed this morn was first ive ridden the MT on street since my last hard mountain ride , and it has taken almost 250 miles for the RJLXX pads to fully bed in to the rotors. Initial bite I noticed has improved and are working a lot better cold.
The aftermarket rotors I'm using may be quite a bit harder than stock.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Can you feel a difference in braking performance in daily riding with braided lines? My thinking is that its mostly when the brake fluid gets really hot and the OE-lines expands that you notice the difference.
Slightly less lever travel, no difference in braking performance.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Can you feel a difference in braking performance in daily riding with braided lines? My thinking is that its mostly when the brake fluid gets really hot and the OE-lines expands that you notice the difference.
On mine I went with braided lines, and Maxima race fluid first. . Absolutely no difference on the street the stock pads are so crappy.
Lot better on track twds end of session in summer heat. This is prob more to the boiling point of the maxima being so high vs line expansion
Once I upgraded the pads and rotors is nuts how far can go in to braking zone and have much better feel, and I'm old and slow.
Unless you're wanting the bling of colored lines I'd suggest start with double H rated pads, and a good fluid flush first.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts