Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know if there is already a post on this subject but I'll ho ahead and ask anyway.

Spiegler lines are on the way so I planned to change pads allso when I'm doing the lines, to try to get a bit better initial braking power.
As I found out, OEM brakes are ADVICS TOYO S30H. They are sintered pads but i think rating GG, didn't confirm that.
My plan was to swap it with BREMBO SA (what should have better friction on paper) front and SP back. There is one option further for front and that would be SR but just found out that even they are more grabbier pads they need temperature in them to be better than SA. As I'm not doing track, mostly commuting and traffic riding, here and there some twisties, now I'm wondering would SA perform better than SR in my riding style, is it worth to go SR. As by that what I found, SA work from cold better than SR but fade out quicker, on lower temp.
Did anyone used SA or SR (SC till last year) and would SA vs OEM be any difference, worth upgrade?

·
Registered
744 Posts
I have done 320mm rotors, HH EBC pads & Hell lines on my 21 09, has improved things, I do have a Brembo front master to fit as well will do that when I do the Brembo front calipers which I have not bought yet.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Yeah stock pads are GG friction rating. Some people are fine with that, just like some people are fine with OEM suspension.
I tried the Brembo SC pads just for kicks, they were a good improvement over stock, but pretty much anything will be. I still prefer Vesrah RJL's.
09 uses the same front pads as R1's and R6's, so there are plenty of choices.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Vesrah RJL pads were my favorite pad I've tried. EBC HH are a great lower cost option for your style of riding. Great initial bite, work well without a lot of heat in them. Personally haven't tried the Brembo pads.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Those sicom ones are very, very nice.

Edit-
I remember when braketech released their carbon rotors maybe 15 years ago. I wanted a set so bad, but it was hard to secure a set.
Ended up getting Ben (chuck a turbo on it) at Extreme creations to make those carbon centred rotors for me as a one off to match my carrozzeria wheels.
Carbon rotors are still slightly out of reach.

·
Registered
206 Posts
View attachment 171733 upgraded with brembo gprx4 and 320 carbon ceramics rotors from sicom, and fren tubo carbon brakelines
Unless you race, not just track days, those components are like putting lipstick on a pig.

Plus, despite what the manufacturer may say, carbon rotors on the street is like wearing fine china boots, slick but fragile.

Also, if your park it on the street, bring along your guard dog and a couple big chains and locks.

Just saying.

Back in the day I helped develop ceramic plasma sprayed aluminum rotors then boron aluminum followed by carbon carbon rotors for commercial jet liners. Now tech is light years ahead today but still the mean streets are no place for carbon anything unless you are independently very wealthy above and beyond safety concerns.

Even in motogp the carbon rotors are inspected and tested after every race sometimes more often, and have a limited service life just like most critical components on a race bike.

But enjoy!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Those sicom ones are very, very nice.
Wheel Tire Bicycle tire Automotive tire Locking hubs

Unless you race, not just track days, those components are like putting lipstick on a pig.

Plus, despite what the manufacturer may say, carbon rotors on the street is like wearing fine china boots, slick but fragile.

Also, if your park it on the street, bring along your guard dog and a couple big chains and locks.

Just saying.

Back in the day I helped develop ceramic plasma sprayed aluminum rotors then boron aluminum followed by carbon carbon rotors for commercial jet liners. Now tech is light years ahead today but still the mean streets are no place for carbon anything unless you are independently very wealthy above and beyond safety concerns.

Even in motogp the carbon rotors are inspected and tested after every race sometimes more often, and have a limited service life just like most critical components on a race bike.

But enjoy!
Ok maybe you don,t know so much about those roters, read on there,s website or on hps from England, I can feel the differents and by the way, they are carbon/ceramic....better bite longer live, also with low temp..... but wtf I like my piggy.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts