Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2021 MT-09
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Motorcycle

My bike had been sitting for a couple months (yeah, I know…), and I noticed a damp area on the floor below where the water pump is located. I extended a tape measure upwards from a fresh drip drop, and noticed where the leak appeared to originate - from behind the water pump housing.

I hauled my bike on my hitch carrier to the dealer and their inspection determined the cause was a failed “mechanical seal” (#7 in parts diagram). So they replaced that plus several other associated seals and gaskets and fresh coolant, covered under warranty (bike had just under 3k miles). I’m not sure why the seal failed, but keep an eye out for any leaks - even slow drips originating from the engine case, and take care of it promptly to keep it from turning into something major.

Organism Font Parallel Slope Drawing

Font Material property Parallel Paper Document

·
Administrator
3,316 Posts
Such a new part failure would make me think it could have been an assembly error. (Pinched gasket, etc.)
Glad it was covered under warranty.
Did the tech show you the seal after it was removed? I'm guessing no.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'm shocked the dealer actually did a repair instead of replacing the entire water pump LOL

Sometimes debris can get into the mechanical seal and cause temporary weeping that clears up by itself. This happened to me on my Gen1. But if it leaks a lot of coolant and doesn't stop, then yeah, time to get the tools out.

There's a really good Toyota tech document that explains how this can happen - Google Toyota T-SB-0117-11.

·
Registered
2021 MT-09
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Such a new part failure would make me think it could have been an assembly error. (Pinched gasket, etc.)
Glad it was covered under warranty.
Did the tech show you the seal after it was removed? I'm guessing no.
No, they did not show me the failed seal, though I did not ask. I’m pretty sure I had posed the question - whether it was an assembly error or defective seal, but I don’t think the service writer knew.

And yeah, I also asked before they had even inspected if there were circumstances where the entire pump assembly was simply replaced, as I had read some online instances where this was done, but apparently in the end the mechanic felt it wasn’t warranted (no pun intended…) in this case.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Thought I had a similar thing going on

But now it has stopped, so it must have just been something odd going on.

As for the covid reference in the post, I've had 5 jabs now, they wrote the 5th one on the bottom of the card (must have run out of cards). So have been riding for a while - except for the knee replacement, which put me out of commission for a long time. Took over 8 months before the new knee would bend far enough to sit on the FZ.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Mine had small droplets from time to time at the same spot you are showing. I did buy mine new in Nov. 2014 JFYI...I kept a eye on it and after a few thousand miles it quit forming droplet and has never returned and I now have 61,480 miles. The only thing I did was to make sure all the screws where tight .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts