Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Longtime MT-07 owner here, finally upgraded to the big boy league with a brand new 09. I did my break-in oil change last weekend, and never in my life have I dealt with a drain plug that tight. Anyway, I ended up using my cheap Harbor Freight impact gun (maxes out around 250 lb-ft) to loosen it. Everything went smooth after that, but since I'm a bit obsessive-compulsive I started worrying about the fact I used all that torque on it. Wanted to open it up to the floor... think there could be any long-term damage to the pan threads?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah i used a breaker bar to loosen mine. And legend has it Hercules him self put on my oil filter! From my understanding thats normal for yamaha so i wouldnt worry about your pan.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
I don't use impact guns on fittings in aluminium or exhaust fasteners, not to loosen or tighten. I prefer to feel what's happening with a ratchet or bar.

Reactions: GreatHolio

·
Registered
966 Posts
When you got the drain plug out, if thee weren't bits of aluminum in the threads, you're OK.

I agree with LouG, an impact isn't the preferable method but apparently it spun free quickly enough that there was no galling of the threads.

Think of it this way: if you had accidentally had the impact set to tighten and pulled the trigger, it would have been really bad.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All good info, thanks guys. Definitely one of those cases where I was frustrated and didn’t think everything through

·
Registered
636 Posts
I'd love to blame the Japanese Yamaha Hercules factory worker for the same issue with my oil filter... but I had my local stealership do the 600 mile service. After buying two oil filter wrenches and having to use a screw driver through the filter to remove it... SMH... I do my own oil changes now... no more herculean effort required.

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
2,485 Posts

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
I second the toothy grippy things.

Reactions: Chrisdurandchris
1 - 9 of 9 Posts