Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone with a 2021 model post up a few 'close up' pictures of the right (throttle) side handle bar controls? Contemplating the possibility of going truly 'ride by wire' by swapping the throttle controls from the 2021 model onto my XSR. Haven't been able to find good pictures showing if the throttle assembly and other controls are a single integrated unit, or separate parts.

·
Registered
2021 MT-09
14 Posts
Yup it does - all one unit for the throttle tube and the buttons. I was really hoping it was 2 pieces, as I don't really need the scroll wheel on my XSR for anything....
Wouldn't you need an IMU that can talk to the throttle tube from an MT09? The scroll wheel needs some work, seems an afterthought to me.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wouldn't you need an IMU that can talk to the throttle tube from an MT09? The scroll wheel needs some work, seems an afterthought to me.
The XSR/FZ/MT/FJ/Tracers are already 'ride by wire' but Yamaha put the sensors down under the seat and connected them to the handle bars using cables (dumb). Throttle Position Sensors are really nothing 'special' as far as electrical components go, the main thing would be checking that that the min/max resistances on the newer MT assembly is the same or similar to the older sensors for the pre '21 models. If it is (and it probably is) then it is just a simple matter of connecting the correct wires to each other.

Yamaha hasn't fully embraced 'can bus' on their bikes, so most of the 'talking' is simple basic electrical components. On the pre '21 bikes I was surprised to see that even most of the idiot lights and the gear indicator in the cluster are all plain lights not triggered from the ECU with CAN messages.

·
Registered
2021 MT-09
14 Posts
The XSR/FZ/MT/FJ/Tracers are already 'ride by wire' but Yamaha put the sensors down under the seat and connected them to the handle bars using cables (dumb). Throttle Position Sensors are really nothing 'special' as far as electrical components go, the main thing would be checking that that the min/max resistances on the newer MT assembly is the same or similar to the older sensors for the pre '21 models. If it is (and it probably is) then it is just a simple matter of connecting the correct wires to each other.

Yamaha hasn't fully embraced 'can bus' on their bikes, so most of the 'talking' is simple basic electrical components. On the pre '21 bikes I was surprised to see that even most of the idiot lights and the gear indicator in the cluster are all plain lights not triggered from the ECU with CAN messages.
Interesting, surprised they aren't full can-bus by now. It would seem your logic would work fine then. I assume the only point is to eliminate the physical cables on your XSR? Mostly unrelated, I'm kind of hoping when the flashing begins on the 21, someone will find a way to enable cruise control on the non-sp model. Would be a nice to have for interstate cruising.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts