Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So looking through the forum, there hasn’t been really any chat since about 2020 about lithium batteries.

my hunt all started with an email from the apt management
Font

I think my upstairs neighbor who hates noise ratted me out.

Kinda got away with it for about a year and a half so I have accepted reality and moved it into my enclosed trailer in my parking area.

The nice thing is that a couple jackstand on the back of the trailer and it is its own little garage.

Now the problem is, this winter I am not going to be able to run a tender with an extension cord all the way out to my trailer.

therefore, I am shopping lithium batteries and realized there are plethora nowadays of lithium. But also they are not cheap! Bang for buck the BikeMaster Lithium Ion 2.0 Battery BMP14B-FP looks promising.

Electronic instrument Office equipment Audio equipment Gas Gadget

It has its own little battery management system for over charging and undercharging protection. Not to mention lithium batteries “can” be left without a tender.

I will wait for the enginerds in here whom are way smarter chime in here.

But all in all I am looking for something not too expensive($200 limit) and that can last a winter without a tender.

More importantly I am looking for an apt where I can have a garage!

• Haha
Reactions: MK3Brent

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
4 years with 2 Shorai batteries and still going strong. I bought the dedicated charger and have not used it once.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
4 years with 2 Shorai batteries and still going strong. I bought the dedicated charger and have not used it once.
What model or serial number is yours?

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
For my 2014 and 2016 FZ-09's, I have the following:

LFX19A4-BS12
$199.95

I also have one in my FJR1300. They come with assorted fillers to fit into the battery compartment. Also, their website has a bike reference utility.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe remove the battery and bring it inside to put on the tender?
Maybe I’m lazy maybe I’m just to agitated to deal with the unforeseable nut that get dropped in the frame. but come in the bitter cold months in Hershey, PA in February I may pull it out.

God I need to get my financials together and own a garage with attached home

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe I’m lazy maybe I’m just to agitated to deal with the unforeseable nut that get dropped in the frame. but come in the bitter cold months in Hershey, PA in February I may pull it out.

God I need to get my financials together and own a garage with attached home
I have one too @DNFDOUG I might use some electrical tape to secure them

Reactions: DNFDOUG

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Is your winter weather dull and cloudy? I used a solar battery maintainer on my cab for a while and it worked well on a battery past it's best. But that town was sunny year round, just bloody cold in winter.

Reactions: MK3Brent

·
Registered
649 Posts
Just bring the battery inside.
If you do want a lithium battery, go with the Lithium Iron Phosphate chemistry (LiFePO4) Less likely to get into a runaway heating issue that makes some of those "catching on fire" video's so funny.
Link to battery vendor Remy Bought one of the discontinued battery tender models that is still working. The 4 posts are very handy feature, specially when you have to put the battery in sideways and reverse it. Can keep the same cables 'cos the posts are always at the right end in the right position

·
Registered
23 Posts
I bought an Antigravity battery with ReStart technology. Basically it disconnects the battery before it gets completely run down. You go to start it and you get nothing. You press the button on the batteries top and it’s ready for a few more starts. So far it’s been good for me(never tested the ReStart feature)

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I bought an Antigravity battery with ReStart technology. Basically it disconnects the battery before it gets completely run down. You go to start it and you get nothing. You press the button on the batteries top and it’s ready for a few more starts. So far it’s been good for me(never tested the ReStart feature)
@psycoreefer has. Said it worked just fine.

·
Registered
2018 MT 09
919 Posts
I've yet to even use a tender on my stock battery, have yet to have an issue starting it come spring time.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I know I better knock on wood myself, but my OE battery from 2015 is still going strong too. 😅

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
1,348 Posts
@psycoreefer has. Said it worked just fine.
I didn't read this thread. I'm not going to. you can't make me.

I've used mine 3 times I that I can remember. Once on purpose, twice on accident.
  • First time I was setting up camp 'in the dark' and left the key/headlight on for light and then just left it till it shut itself off. Bike then sat overnight (key off), in the morning I had no trouble starting the bike in about 40 degree (F) weather.
  • Second time I had plugged in a bluetooth OBDII scanner and left it plugged in for several months when I wasn't riding due to shoulder surgery. Bike would not start after pushing the magic button. Had to top the battery up with a charger.
  • Third time I left the lights on by accident when I went into work, pushed the button and the bike started no problem.

From this I would guess that the circitry in the protection circuit works better against 'large' loads like a head light, and not so great with small loads (like the LED's on my OBD scanner). My battery is now 2 years old, and as I said above its been drained 'low' once by accident, and then charged with a regular 12V lead acid charger on slow (2amp). I've had no problems with it despite this abuse and it has no issues starting the bike even when the overnight lows have been below freezing and I start first thing in the AM.

My biggest complaint is that because our batteries go in 'sideways' (on '20 and earlier models) the button is kinda hard to reach, because it isn't actually on top.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts