Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2021 MT-09 Storm Fluo
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking into replacing the signals on my 2021 MT09. Ive got my eyes on the Yoshimura sequential signals and the kit comes with a flasher relay. It's my understanding that these are usually applicable for bikes that run incandescent OEM lights as to correct the flash rate. The 2021 being an LED OEM bike, is this device still necessary?

The sales staff at Yoshi seem to think its still needed but i cannot find the OEM relay anywhere on the wiring schematic nor do I know where I'd even begin to solder this one in. I've seen many plug and play relay options for the older bikes but this one doesn't seem to have that style relay.

If its not needed, and using the same OEM connectors can i expect these signals to just be plug and play to function properly?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I don't have an answer for the best place to wire it in, but I assume that this flasher relay will control the sequential feature of those signals. Without the relay I'm not sure the sequential setup will work. So if that's not a deal breaker I'd give it a shot without any wiring changes first just to see.

but you are right; typically an aftermarket flasher relay is necessary to trick the system in to not viewing the low resistance of an LED vs Incandescents as a burnt out bulb. So since these are both LEDs that very well may not be an issue

·
Registered
2021 MT-09 Storm Fluo
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have an answer for the best place to wire it in, but I assume that this flasher relay will control the sequential feature of those signals. Without the relay I'm not sure the sequential setup will work. So if that's not a deal breaker I'd give it a shot without any wiring changes first just to see.

but you are right; typically an aftermarket flasher relay is necessary to trick the system in to not viewing the low resistance of an LED vs Incandescents as a burnt out bulb. So since these are both LEDs that very well may not be an issue
Im assuming since the bike is already built for LED lighting, the signals are likely controlled electronically. I found the relay in the older schematics and on the new one, that part doesn't exist as an explicit standalone item. Everything just runs to a Multi-function meter. So I may just wing it and see if they work as is.

Also an item of note for anyone interested
I've noticed plenty of companies have not picked up on the fact that the front and back signal connectors are not the same. They seem to offer plug and play options using the rear connector, but the front uses the 3 wire version for running lights and it uses a different style of the same connector. TST is the only company offering plug and play adapters using both styles of connector. Not an issue if you are interested in splicing into the OEM wiring though.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Yeah; what I'm saying is that the "sequential" feature of the yoshi signals is likely what that relay controls... Not necessarily the flash rate (well probably both, but for your situation not the rate as you've mentioned). Flash rate is probably going to be okay without it, but I'd guess that the sequential feature won't work.

It has been several years since I messed with my FZ turn signals... But I bought something like these so that I could plug the new turn signals in to the stock wiring without modifying the OEM wiring. I only
spliced in the two wires, and excluded the DRLs. I do have two 2/3 wire converters from tripage to retain your DRL if you want them.

Still interesting on these new ones they have different connectors on front and back. Someone posted photos of theirs the other day and it just didn't look right. Maybe this is why haha! I believe the rear connector was a "standard" molex connector. If you need help finding a male (or female) end only for that similar to the below link let me know. Share up some pictures and folks can likely help you track one down. I can relate to trying to avoid modifications to OEM wiring. Always an intimidating thought to me.

·
Registered
2021 MT-09 Storm Fluo
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[/QUOTE]
Yeah; what I'm saying is that the "sequential" feature of the yoshi signals is likely what that relay controls... Not necessarily the flash rate (well probably both, but for your situation not the rate as you've mentioned). Flash rate is probably going to be okay without it, but I'd guess that the sequential feature won't work.

It has been several years since I messed with my FZ turn signals... But I bought something like these so that I could plug the new turn signals in to the stock wiring without modifying the OEM wiring. I only
spliced in the two wires, and excluded the DRLs. I do have two 2/3 wire converters from tripage to retain your DRL if you want them.

Still interesting on these new ones they have different connectors on front and back. Someone posted photos of theirs the other day and it just didn't look right. Maybe this is why haha! I believe the rear connector was a "standard" molex connector. If you need help finding a male (or female) end only for that similar to the below link let me know. Share up some pictures and folks can likely help you track one down. I can relate to trying to avoid modifications to OEM wiring. Always an intimidating thought to me.

this is the connector for the rears

This is the connector for the fronts. Similar style but the 3 wire version of the connector. The two however are not universal as the 3 wire has a center lug across the bottom

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Holy smokes... Yeah those are WAY different than I was thinking! These LOOK like sumitomo TS25 connectors if anyone feels like making their own. I will say... those TST adapters are pretty cheap. Good lookin out Rontonsoop.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The turn signal relay is in the instrument panel, the R1 and MT10 are like this.
What happens if you connect one of the turn signals to 12V power? If it lights up sequentially then you probably wont need the included relay.

·
Registered
2021 MT-09 Storm Fluo
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The turn signal relay is in the instrument panel, the R1 and MT10 are like this.
What happens if you connect one of the turn signals to 12V power? If it lights up sequentially then you probably wont need the included relay.
are you saying it's located within the covering of the instrument panel or the TFT Unit controls the signals electronically?

·
Registered
2021 MT-09 Storm Fluo
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Controlled electronically
Thanks, That's pretty much been my assumption. No where have I seen relays as being described as a remedy to proper signal function, except for instances where incandescent bulbs were part of the OEM system. However LED to LED swaps seem to have next to no information/discussion floating out there. Perhaps because its as simple as a 1 for 1 swap and there are no issues.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Alright; thought on this more and I have a new guess lol. The signals are only two wire; so the "sequential controller" is inside the body of the turn signal. I bet that if you don't install the new relay (and just keep the stock one in there) it'll work and be sequential still.

The concern I have for you is that it may not complete the full "sequential cycle" before starting back over. E.g. the stock relay completes the circuit for 1 sec, then opens for 1 sec, then back on and so on and so forth. The sequential turn signals may need to be on for say 2 seconds as it turns on bulb 1, bulb 2, 3, 4, 5 et.c (sequentially) and then restarts/resets.

If you don't care about them being sequential I would just go with the standard yoshi LED turn signals and I bet you won't have to mess with that relay at all like you're thinking (b/c LED to LED swap). But I still think it might be a bit off timing wise without it if you get sequential ones. Just because those cycles take a bit longer than your standard turn signal operation.

·
Registered
2021 MT-09 Storm Fluo
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright; thought on this more and I have a new guess lol. The signals are only two wire; so the "sequential controller" is inside the body of the turn signal. I bet that if you don't install the new relay (and just keep the stock one in there) it'll work and be sequential still.

The concern I have for you is that it may not complete the full "sequential cycle" before starting back over. E.g. the stock relay completes the circuit for 1 sec, then opens for 1 sec, then back on and so on and so forth. The sequential turn signals may need to be on for say 2 seconds as it turns on bulb 1, bulb 2, 3, 4, 5 et.c (sequentially) and then restarts/resets.

If you don't care about them being sequential I would just go with the standard yoshi LED turn signals and I bet you won't have to mess with that relay at all like you're thinking (b/c LED to LED swap). But I still think it might be a bit off timing wise without it if you get sequential ones. Just because those cycles take a bit longer than your standard turn signal operation.
I thought about this too. And to test this I bought some cheap sequential signals on Amazon that will give me a good idea if there’s any functionality issues before dropping the kinda coin the yoshi’s cost. But installing an additional relay to a system that’s already electronically controlled/moderated seems like it couldn’t cause some issues but I’m no electrical engineer so that thought process may be way off. I guess I’ll have to see what the outcome is. I’m not super married to the sequential lights. Just think they’re cool and if they don’t work right, I’ll just buy the standard ones. I appreciate the insight though.

·
Registered
234 Posts
ALL sequential turn-signals I've seen cycle perfectly between the normal time, so I bet the Yoshi's won't be a problem. And car turn-signals are WAY longer than the bike ones. I have 3 questions for whoever does that job first :):
1. Are the Yoshi turn-signals brighter than stock? I wouldn't touch the stock ones if not.
2. Can they also work as running lights, like stock? Not a deal-breaker for me at all, but I typically like to leave things working as stock, to avoid any issues.
3. Were you able to install them with the mating connectors (which ones? TST or Sumitomo?), so zero splicing to factory wiring? That's the only way I'd do it. I don't mind splicing the TST/Sumitomo harness, but not the factory one. Thank you.

·
Registered
2021 MT-09 Storm Fluo
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ALL sequential turn-signals I've seen cycle perfectly between the normal time, so I bet the Yoshi's won't be a problem. And car turn-signals are WAY longer than the bike ones. I have 3 questions for whoever does that job first :):
1. Are the Yoshi turn-signals brighter than stock? I wouldn't touch the stock ones if not.
2. Can they also work as running lights, like stock? Not a deal-breaker for me at all, but I typically like to leave things working as stock, to avoid any issues.
3. Were you able to install them with the mating connectors (which ones? TST or Sumitomo?), so zero splicing to factory wiring? That's the only way I'd do it. I don't mind splicing the TST/Sumitomo harness, but not the factory one. Thank you.
I haven't performed the job yet as im waiting on the TST harnesses to show to test out some cheap seq. signals from amazon before ordering the Yoshi's. The reason i want to make the change is purely aesthetics. The stock signals are fine. a bit big and too floppy. so id like something smaller and better looking. The Yoshi's are only 2 wire so running lights aren't really an option without a 3-2 converter but even then, I dont know if its possible with sequential lights. The regular ones it would be though. They just go from an always on state to flashing once the signal is activated. I'll update this thread once i know more.

·
Registered
34 Posts
the front uses the 3 wire version for running lights
This is us fz version. All other markets (mt) has no running lights, so I guess they use the same as rear connectors.

Relay could be built-in in the turning lights as some BMW models has, in this case relay needs to be installed. Not sure how its done in mt/fz

·
Registered
32 Posts
I installed Rizoma sequentials on my 2021 with the TST Running mate so I don't lose the running light function. Works flawlessly….here’s a quick video.

I haven't performed the job yet as im waiting on the TST harnesses to show to test out some cheap seq. signals from amazon before ordering the Yoshi's. The reason i want to make the change is purely aesthetics. The stock signals are fine. a bit big and too floppy. so id like something smaller and better looking. The Yoshi's are only 2 wire so running lights aren't really an option without a 3-2 converter but even then, I dont know if its possible with sequential lights. The regular ones it would be though. They just go from an always on state to flashing once the signal is activated. I'll update this thread once i know more.

·
Registered
2021 MT-09 Storm Fluo
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I installed Rizoma sequentials on my 2021 with the TST Running mate so I don't lose the running light function. Works flawlessly….here’s a quick video.

Awesome. Great to hear. I was wondering if when used with a running mate, they'd work as running lights or if they'd just be constantly blinking sequentially. interesting to see the rizomas working as you'd want. curious to see if the Yoshi's react the same

·
Registered
1,157 Posts

And no flasher relay swap/change/install or anything? Interesting! I thought no way they'd be plug and play lol. Good to know though!

·
Registered
2021 MT-09 Storm Fluo
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nope; honestly one of the easiest installs I've done.
how'd you tighten the signal stud nut? did you remove the entire radiator cover and tighten them off the bike and then re-attach? Because there's not much space when the covers are in place.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts