Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

101 - 120 of 156 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
I pulled up that hot springs loop in Rever, if anyone is looking for a gps/tracking/ride building app, I highly suggest it. Playing with the map takes a little time, but I was able to take that google map file and convert it into a GPX file. @shamrock Have you ever taken 197 off of 19E up into Old Mars Hill, it would cut out Prices Creek. Looks like a nice road, the REVER site gives a Butler map overlay of "good, better, and best" roads.
I always look for the "little" roads and that's not what the map makers call the "best" roads.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Hey Dave, I am not familiar with Old Mars Hill and couldn't find it on Google Maps. I do know that 197, south of 19E turns into dirt at the top of the mountain. So where is this Old Mars Hill that you speak of?

·
Registered
710 Posts
I got the names of the roads wrong. It looks like if you turn left at the Ingles supermarket onto 197, you can cruise that all the way out to Forks of Ivy. Here are some photos from my phone, for reference marker E is where you turn from 1510 to Forks of Ivy Road. I'll try and get a better map photo from my computer later, but it didn't look like it turned to dirt from the satellite view.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I see some gnarly switchbacks.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Awww yeah!
Bring the rain gear boys. :D

I'm sure it'll come and go, but maybe we'll get lucky.

·
Registered
2018 MT 09
715 Posts
You never know what your going to get in the mountains. The weather changes so quickly, often it will say rain and we can ride around it. Other times it just pours buckets.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I'm not too worried about the weather as long as my tent holds up. I think last year most days had a 70% chance and it only rained on one of the nights. My packing is almost complete, the only question is, street gear or track suit.....

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
the only question is, street gear or track suit.....
Assless chaps... I have no concern of you passing me.

Reactions: Screan29

·
Registered
93 Posts
Planning to head up Wednesday to set up camp out behind Alberts. Plan to have enough grub to invite everybody for burgers when you get ready for one till it runs out. Also taking a big cooler if anybody wants to keep something cold and trusts me. Hope my spot doesn't have phone reception. Anyone riding in on bikes let me know if I can bring you anything.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'm pretty sure that 197 turns to gravel at some point. There used to be two state routes in NC that had gravel sections - the other one is on the other side of 181. Its a great stretch of asphalt until it isn't, lol...

Looking forward to seeing old friends and meeting some new ones in a few days!! Gonna have to get an inch of dust off the FZ... I hope it starts, too.. haha..

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
197 south of 19E turns into gravel and dirt just after Murchison. However, just maybe it's been paved by now, only one way to find out. Any takers? In fact most of these roads turn to dirt and gravel going over the top of a mountain and many of them just peter out. That's what makes ride planning some what of an art form. You can waste a lot of daylight and miss some epic routes not to mention spending half a day on some highway looking for a little road that you swear the GPS says is there. I will admit though that it's fun exploring when you have no idea where you're going. Just be sure to have two things: daylight and gas! See you all tomorrow.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I learned the hard way that these roads can randomly turn into a goat path last year. A little digging and it seems like it still turns to gravel just after those switchbacks at the top of the mountain, still seems like it's a pretty popular road though.

I'll be in the area on Thursday afternoon, gotta set up the campsite and I'll be up to the lodge to see who's around. Finally got the trailer registered, most of my things packed, and only have the final tinkering on the bike to do. I think I have almost every tool you'd need to deal with almost any issue we could run into.

I've been up until 2 the last few nights pumped up for this, I can't wait to get back out there!

·
Registered
Current - MT09, CRF450X, XR400; Former - Fz1, XR250, TW200
11 Posts
I'm in! Arriving tomorrow/Friday, either noon-ish if I can connect with you at lunch - do these events include siestas? ;) - or in the evening.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
We are in and out so feel free to do your own thing. Nothing is organized.
Please remember this is a very small group so don't expect balloons and door prizes.
Weather is a bit iffy so that pretty much decides where we are at any given time.
All of us are here in the evenings unless we are foraging for food!

·
Registered
Current - MT09, CRF450X, XR400; Former - Fz1, XR250, TW200
11 Posts
I've lived in many countries and have learned to have few expectations. Just looking forward to meeting some fellow riders, see what you've done to your bikes, and enjoy some twisties.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Pissing rain where I am, but we'll still load up the bikes tonight and head that way in the morning.

Conor and I will be in a grey Tundra with a small trailer.

101 - 120 of 156 Posts