Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone has an answer from Yamaha as regards the rattling noise after restart. It must be from cam chain tensioner.
The new XSR900 has this B7N-12210-01.All others B7N-12210-00.
It is very annoying and I think that as miles pile up it gets worse.

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha MT-09 SP
189 Posts
Does anyone has an answer from Yamaha as regards the rattling noise after restart. It must be from cam chain tensioner.
The new XSR900 has this B7N-12210-01.All others B7N-12210-00.
It is very annoying and I think that as miles pile up it gets worse.
Uh, do you have a recording of the sound? It probably is the cam chain tensioner. The cam chain may make a clicking sound until the bike warms up.

·
Registered
741 Posts
No I don't have a recording but it is the same as others showed
My 2021 09SP had the same noise left front to the tappet cover during warm up for a few min's then went away, I sold the bike a few weeks ago & the noise never changed & never got any worse. My 2022 09SP has the same noise, 1100kms on the clock.

·
Registered
611 Posts
It may be "normal" for these cam chains to get loose and slap around every time the engine has to warm up, but it can't be good for the chain shoes to get smacked around like this daily. Hopefully it's hitting guide shoes and not tickling the cases.

Hydraulic tensioner or not, why does the tensioner allow it to go loose all the time? Does it not have a ratchet? Why would it take several minutes for oil pressure to build up to activate it? None of the excuses given for this noise makes sense.

Hell, if you bought a car in 1950 that ticked that hard you'd take it back. Strange.

·
Registered
21 MT09 SP 05 Ninja 636
15 Posts
I have a 21 MT09 SP. I also have the cam chain noise on cold startup and and a warm startup if the bike sits for say 10mins or so. All the newer 890cc CP3 engines do it as far as i can tell, cant believe that got through QC. If you blip the throttle the noise will go away then sometimes comes back sometimes doesn't. These new CCT's get tension from oil pressure from my understanding, which would explain why it goes away after the engine idles for a bit or if you blip the throttle thus raising oil pressure momentarily.

I'm already considering installing a manual cam chain tensioner but probably not until I hear about a lot of other people with this engine doing it with success. It's annoying and anybody who hears it inevitably asks about it, kind of embarrassing to explain why my brand new bike sounds like it has rocks rattling around under the valve cover.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Here at 1.15 min and on.See the discussion that follow there
This particular sound during warmup, my first gen had, even with a manual tensioner. It's there for maybe 10 seconds, then fades away. No problems in 75K miles...

TBH, I haven't noticed this on my Cyclops as I put my earplugs on before I start the bike and if it's there, it's not loud enough. I'll try to listen for this next time.

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
Just because you can? just curious lol.
kevxtx has been here from the beginning and has some commercial interest in these bikes. He also owns some other brands and moves them around also. Like vcyclenut here in the US when kevxtx speaks the smart people listen.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts