Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Electric isn't all it's cracked up to be. A lot of downfalls and not as "green" as everyone (media/gov't) want you to believe. Have you seen a lithium mine? Most are using gas/diesel powered excavators to extract it, then processed in gas/coal plants and then the batteries are made in "dirty" facilities as well. One of my customers is Northvolt, a large battery maker in Sweden. Their first major battery is for the excavators to work the mines. Each battery will last 4 hours at full load, so each shift will go through 2 batteries.
Electric is the future but for the efficiency to be where it needs to be we have a very long time to get there and the offset of "going green" is minimal.

·
Registered
27 Posts
This is the myth of electric power. Sure, they don't need oil changes, although Teslas need coolant changes, and there isn't a gearbox to fail. But electric motors have complex controllers, lots of bearings, the rest of the drivetrain is much like IC cars. I've also not heard about tyre life in a vehicle that puts max torque through the tyres at zero revs, and as a rule are heavier. We bikers know how torquey engines kill tyres.
So, there is still a lot to wear.
As we are speaking of the new SR-F
engine got 2 bearings.
you will have not 100% torque from zero revs :laughing7:(yeah thanks sevcon)
weight same @ Mt10

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Just go back several posts in this thread and read the link I posted on electric buses. It’s not all cheap, green energy. There’s still a very long way to go. Lucky for Zero they got close to $60 million to jump start their product development.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Electric bike companies (like Zero) try to make it seems like there's no maintenance. I've seen comments about Zero saying how they live in the city in highrises and can't perform their own work on their bike (eyeroll), so they wanted a no maintenance machine.

Side note: parking in an "underground" is something all condo people do, and it's worked out just fine for motorcycle owners all these years. If you have a basic wrench set, a bucket, and a funnel, you can do 99% of all jobs on any motorcycle.

But these people forget their Zero still has: front forks to maintain, brake fluid, brake pads, pivot points to lube, steering bearings, tires to replace, tire balance, tire alignment. These machines are not "no maintenance" just a few things taken off the list.

I think they forget all that stuff and just see "no gas, no oil, no coolant" and think their bike has no fluids to maintain. I wonder where they get that from.

Capture.PNG

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Federal/state energy tax incentives/credits use to play a huge part, but I believe all of those have went by by too ...

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Zero is not alone with creative advertising, but they certainly take it over the top

Pointing at the brake reservoir, brake lines and forks saying “fluidity without fluids”? Good product, but bad marketing.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Wow, tough crowd. lol I like the Zero bikes and hope they continue to evolve and lower their prices. For me personally, a motorcycle is a toy and that is how I use them. I use them to have fun commuting to work, taking short trips to the store, and on the weekends going for rides around the local countryside. So for me the electric motorcycle is an actual viable contender. I gave the Zero brand a good hard look when I was choosing my next bike. I really liked the SR ZF14.4. Great ergonomics, decent looks, good power and enough range for me. Ride it to work and back or on a weekend joyride and when done, pull it in the garage and plug it in and it is ready to go the next day. I liked the use of a phone app as a tuner for your bike too. Instantly change the power delivery and performance profile of your bike right from your phone! How frigin cool is that? But in the end I could not justify the upfront cost difference and the fact that there was not a dealer even close to me. The MT 09 ended up winning my comparison and I am very happy with it so far. Maybe in 5 years or so when I am looking for my next bike, the Zero will be more refined and more cost comparable and I will buy one then...or maybe not?

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
1,662 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
It is kind of funny, if it had been a gasoline/petrol fire almost anyone can fight it, But it was a high tech battery fire, I'm assuming here, and frankly you don't know what kind of battery. Water , no water? Halon, no halon,? So you just let it burn, and pick up the ashes. Silly at best

61 - 71 of 71 Posts