Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
I called Zero today and spoke to them for 30 minutes.

Quick Charge Capabilities
$18,995 / Zero SRF Standard Model: Not possible
$21,295 / Zero SRF Standard Model with upgraded $2,300 6kW battery: Yes
$20,995 / Zero SRF Premium Model: Yes

He advised that if you are at home most 110 outlets will charge the bike at the slow speeds, regardless of the bike and battery you bought. If you decide to install a 220-240 line into your garage you still won't have quick charging because the amperage is not enough to quick charge it (I'm not an electrician, so I don't know stuff beyond what he said). he said it may just be a bit faster than 110V.

He said that quick charging at the full speed is only possible at charging stations (you may have to pay to use them) or you can quick charge at home if you install a quick charging module made for vehicles in your garage for about $600 USD.

The part I hate is the mix their stats to sound better. They tell you that you can ride 200 miles, and it's only 80 minutes to recharge. Those are two separate motorcycle setups they sell.

I fixed their site.

Untitled.png

·
Registered
42 Posts
It will be interesting to see how the Zero SRF stacks up against the 2019 Lightning Strike, especially given the fact that LS starts from just $12,998.
Looks like 2 winners from California already!
Livewire? Are you even in the race? :p

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I, at least, have two Zero motorycle dealers w/in 200 miles of my residence. Lightning is still in infancy and basically a mail order thing..

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
1,662 Posts
I don't know much about Lightning, but it seems their only current offering is a pure sport bike that starts at $38K. So what could they provide for barely 1/3 of that, that could even come close to the performance of the SR/F?

·
Registered
42 Posts
@Moto26: Here is the promising teaser from Lightning
http://lightningmotorcycle.com/
They basically claim to release the 2019 Lightning Strike in March, with 150mph top speed, 150 miles range and 35 mins DC charging.
And, all these for a bike priced at @12,998
Numbers look exciting, let's wait and watch as to what the bike actually delivers :)

@troop: I agree with you on the sparse/non-existent dealerships from Lightning.
But with the plan to introduce a bike at $13k, which is much more reachable to people as compared to their earlier LS-218 bike ($38k), they should have a plan to setup dealership network across the country.
Their blog has some info:
http://lightningmotorcycle.com/blog/

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Yeah, I see that there are two versions of the Strike, with the Standard one "starting" at $13K, and requiring a $500 deposit to pre-order. But the Carbon version requires a $10,000 deposit! Guess which on is the "150 mph/150 miles/35 min charge" version...

Lightning seems to be where Zero was 8-10 years ago (except for the high dollar halo model). Zero has done a lot of work to get where they are now. If Lightning survives the next decade, they'll be a worthy competitor...

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Does Akrapovic make a pipe for it?

[On the Internet no one knows you're a dog]
No, but they'll be offering a Sena unit with an Ipod and a choice of engine noises. Even that will sound better than the dying gearbox noises electric performance vehicles make.

Reactions: Moto26 and Woof

·
Registered
347 Posts
No, but they'll be offering a Sena unit with an Ipod and a choice of engine noises. Even that will sound better than the dying gearbox noises electric performance vehicles make.
Harsh!

But funny.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I would think this whole electric bike thing would be more appealing to a new rider who has never driven or ridden anything with a gearbox. Getting used to a clutch, gearbox and proper use of the throttle while shifting can be a handful to someone with zero experience. To remove all that, along with the sound and feel of a gas engine seems it would take away a huge amount of the fun factor for a seasoned rider. I can see a newbie moving up from a low power electric to gas powered...but to go from gas to electric...I dont see the appeal.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
@1216Bandit...

Have you ridden any of them? If there's a Zero dealer near you, go take a test ride or three. Especially the FX-S supermoto. That one was a real hoot to ride, and the others are fun, too. It's weird at first, and of course it's a different sensation from a gas bike, but there really is some appeal. The roll-on acceleration of the SR is really impressive, and I can't wait to try the SR-F.

You very well may come out thinking, eh, not for me. But I guarantee you won't hate it...

·
Registered
462 Posts
Nope have not ridden one yet, but if there is a dealer within a reasonable distance from me I sure will! Im sure I will be impressed with the huge instant torque and no doubt it will be fun and very different from what I'm used to.

·
Registered
347 Posts
@1216Bandit...

Have you ridden any of them? If there's a Zero dealer near you, go take a test ride or three. Especially the FX-S supermoto. That one was a real hoot to ride, and the others are fun, too. It's weird at first, and of course it's a different sensation from a gas bike, but there really is some appeal. The roll-on acceleration of the SR is really impressive, and I can't wait to try the SR-F.

You very well may come out thinking, eh, not for me. But I guarantee you won't hate it...
As long as I can disable the antiwheelie software!

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
I really like the models. I just can’t get interested in something that takes me for one joyride, then requires an overnight charge. And if I want maximum drive time, I have to pay a fortune, not exceed 50 mph and deal with a 500 lb bike.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Having ripped into electric bikes, I have to say we're thinking about electric bicycles. I've tried one and it's fantastic, like being on a tandem and letting the other rider pedal. The one I tried was styled to look like an old Indian, long tank/battery compartment, huge front headlight, white walls and pull back bars with leather grips.
My wife's employer is looking at doing a deal with a supplier to give a discounted price for staff. We're just considering whether we'll use them enough to justify $4K. We're thinking about a folding model so we can take them on trips around the country. Great for winery visiting, no DUI's on bikes.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Just a current Nanny State oversight. They’ll get around to it soon enough.
They'll have to catch me first. Oh wait...............

Reactions: Tigershark

·
Registered
40 Posts
Having ripped into electric bikes, I have to say we're thinking about electric bicycles. I've tried one and it's fantastic, like being on a tandem and letting the other rider pedal. The one I tried was styled to look like an old Indian, long tank/battery compartment, huge front headlight, white walls and pull back bars with leather grips.
My wife's employer is looking at doing a deal with a supplier to give a discounted price for staff. We're just considering whether we'll use them enough to justify $4K. We're thinking about a folding model so we can take them on trips around the country. Great for winery visiting, no DUI's on bikes.
I did a test ride on electric bicycle, they're getting better and better. I can definitely see an appeal of assisted bike but I think it would be an addition to my regular bikes, not a replacement. The same with electric motorcycles, I'm not against them even if I prefer old school ICE but electrics aren't there yet. No matter what people say they're still to expensive and inconvenient for most folks. I don't have 20k laying to around to spend on a bike I couldn't even use the way I want because of its limitations.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts