Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha MT-09
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if this has already been discussed, but there are so many threads about the Yamaha Comfort Seat that I haven't yet found answers/opinions about my specific situation.

I had a 2015 FZ-09 and as everyone knows, the stock seat was very uncomfortable (always pushing me forward toward the tank). I ordered, sat on, and returned a couple more expensive seats, but I ended up liking the Yamaha Comfort Seat the best.

Now I have a 2020 MT-09. The stock seat is reasonable for me, but I'm wondering about others' experiences with the latest Yamaha Comfort Seat vs. the stock on the 2020. For my 2015 FZ, I had to swap out the stock seat. But for the 2020 MT, I'm not sure if it will make a big enough difference. Experiences and opinions?

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
854 Posts
Waiting on mine to come. I don't mind the stock seat but as a commuter bike for me I'll never turn down more comfort.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Just curious which seats your tried and returned with your 2015. Which ones didn't you like?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Problem I see with your question is the "Butt Dyno" variable. Everyone's butt is different. What your arse may like, another arse may not. Something along the lines of... size does matter??? LMFAO.

Reactions: Screan29

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha MT-09
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Problem I see with your question is the "Butt Dyno" variable. Everyone's butt is different. What your arse may like, another arse may not. Something along the lines of... size does matter??? LMFAO.
So true! I knew that when I posed the question, which is why I tried to phrase it as "others' experiences" :)

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha MT-09
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just curious which seats your tried and returned with your 2015. Which ones didn't you like?
I'm pretty sure I tried the Sargent World Sport and the Saddlemen Gel-Channel Sport. They both looked awesome and many people like them, but although they were better than the stock seat, they weren't $400 or $500 "better" to me :) That's when I tried the Yamaha Comfort seat, and for a much smaller price, I was very happy with that.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I was wondering if the Sargent would be in that list! I recently got one, and I'm not so sure I like it for comfort yet. Only been daily riding with it for a couple weeks. Might grow on me.

The comfort seat does look much more plush. I gotta try one sometime.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have a 2018 MT-09. My first bike ever. When I first started riding, my arse would be sore AF from a 30 min commute. Now it's fine. If I go for a 2 hour ride tho, different story. I have not tried any other seats yet. Kind of reluctant to plop down that kinda cash. If I can find an upholster person to do it cheaper...

·
Registered
137 Posts
The stock seat on my 2018 (which I believe is unchanged for 2020) was acceptable after I added some foam to stop the forward slide. But I still upgraded to the comfort seat, primarily for my wife's sake when she occasionally rides with me.

Buy the comfort seat if you want stiffer, thicking padding and/or the correct slope. Don't buy it if you have short legs... between the added height and width it'll make the reach a bit harder.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I was wondering if the Sargent would be in that list! I recently got one, and I'm not so sure I like it for comfort yet. Only been daily riding with it for a couple weeks. Might grow on me.

The comfort seat does look much more plush. I gotta try one sometime.
You can try mine out, it's nice but it adds a little height. I did my entire trip last year on the comfort seat. 9 days of 300+ miles and I never had any soreness other than my garbage knees.

·
Registered
319 Posts

One man's seat is another man's poison..... :mad:

·
Registered
106 Posts
2020 MT09SP

the stock seat drove me nuts - I dont have a lot of meat on me and the bottom of my pubic bones would dig into the seat and hurt like hell

I ordered the Comfort when I bought the bike new - took 6 months to arrive!

I ordered a SHAD seat mid way through because Im impatient and sick of riding sore.

The SHAD is nicer, but padding only a little better (for me). The daily commute was no longer sore, but longer rides were uncomfortable. It still had the slight forward slope as well.

Finally got the Comfort!
The padding is much nicer and I dont get sore. Still got to try a full day ride tho.
It does add a lot of height - around an inch. This took me a while to get used to, especially since Im not long legged! (about 5'8"). But at most Im on the ball of my foot, and after about 30 minutes the padding settles and its better.
There is no forward slope, but the front bits around the tank are a little more padded so that takes getting used to inside the thighs.
The pillion is more padded as well but about 1/2 inch shorter in length at the back.

Ive heard good things about Bagster but never tried.
I really wanted a Corbin Gunfighter and Lady, but not spending the $ for something I cant test.

I will probably get a custom-made seat next time (as I did with other bikes).

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
854 Posts
Just got my comfort seat today. Have not had a chance to put it on and ride yet but looks comfy. I got the padding but a little extra is never a bad thing and I wanted the height. Got my from partzilla for 188 next day aired since they forgot to ship last week.

·
Registered
2020 Yamaha MT-09
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the input. I ordered the seat from Partzilla this morning. It's the same seat that I bought (also from Partzilla) about a year ago! I wish I hadn't sold that seat, but after I sold my FZ-09, I didn't think I'd be needing that seat anymore. Oh well...I'm helping to keep Partzilla in business!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I received my seat from Port Yamaha in 5 days shipped to CT. 234dollars total including Ct, tax.
I'm 5ft 10inch 31 inch inseam. After a 60 mile ride with a lot of stop and go, I am going to bring the seat to the local auto upholstery shop and have them narrow down the nose like the stock seat.
The extra padding kept me from firmly planting my feet and was digging in to the side of my thigh which for me is extremely irritating. The rest of the seat is fine and top notch.

·
Registered
106 Posts
@oldbuck
Im 5'8" and interesting I found the same on the inner thigh but have gotten used to it.
However after a 3.5 hour ride on the weekend I had a sore spot in that same place from gripping hard through the twisties! ha!

However I also have 40mm (1.5") peg risers and it made a helluva difference for the better

1 - 17 of 17 Posts