Roll Call:
PinoyRider88 + 1
Darf + 1
Muc
GreatHolio
1216Bandit
Jarnov

Total: 8

If coming, please input how arriving(riding or trailer) and if any rider guests and/or passenger guests.

So I saw some interest in the May timeframe ECR Ride and throught I would start a discussion. First off some question for the group:

1) Location, Location, Location!? (EDIT) Now looks like Snowshoe, WV will be the central local point

2) When? (EDIT) See title)

3)Lodging - Must be motorcycle friendly, not too much riff raff, but at the same time it shouldn't look like I am gonna get the COVID in the lobby area.

Still TBD, but there are some suggestions within the forum. First up is roll call collecting.

I am excited for the fall rally. ???

Attachments

·
Registered
383 Posts
I'm down for this no matter when or where and I'm sure as time goes on more people will show interest. As for location, anything that isnt a well known tourist location, especially end of season time.

Personally I've never been to WV or TN, but as long as I've got good people and good roads I'm in.

My opinion on timeframe would be closer to the end of August, that way if the spring ECR ends up falling through we won't have to wait very long.

·
Super Moderator
4,174 Posts
West Virginia can be fun when conditions are right. Look at a map for the region between Charleston, Parkersburg and Clarksburg. Tons of roads. With that said, the roads can be littered with sand, debris and chunks of coal and don't get me started about the slurry formed by coal dust and rain on top of polished asphalt. And then there are the legions of rawhiding coal truck drivers if you're in an active mining region. With all that said, you can never have too many gatherings to look forward to.

·
Registered
2018 MT 09
354 Posts
  • I'm definitely interested in a fall gathering but I'd be more interested in early September. Farther north is fine by me as I'm from Ohio. I tried to get a WV ride together but the idea didn't get much traction.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'm in for a WV, NC, TN, VA, all of those are good options for me. I'm not fond of a memorial day weekend trip personally. Too many police and too much traffic. Late August-October are all good months for me.

·
Super Moderator
4,174 Posts
I'm in for a WV, NC, TN, VA, all of those are good options for me. I'm not fond of a memorial day weekend trip personally. Too many police and too much traffic. Late August-October are all good months for me.
Well just to be accurate, Memorial Day weekend is the weekend before this year's ECR.
Mid-September would be a good time of year for a gathering.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Well just to be accurate, Memorial Day weekend is the weekend before this year's ECR.
Mid-September would be a good time of year for a gathering.
Oops, I meant labor day ;)

·
Registered
383 Posts
I see interest in WV, so that gets my vote. The whole state is mountain roads it seems! After I get done with work if I can get some free time I'll look for popular spots. Unless someone has spent time in that area and already knows good spots.

·
Registered
2018 MT 09
354 Posts
I'd look at the area that ridetifish mentioned there's allot of nice roads there. I've been through there but not at any great lengths. My forays down to WV are usually at the midpoint of an all-day ride from Cleveland and back.... So I don't really get to much time to play around when I've been on the bike.

·
Registered
2018 MT 09
354 Posts
I'm actually headed down to Parkersburg tomorrow. We're going to a 40 Mike loop from there on the back roads then head back up through Ohio's southern twisties.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Glad to se so much feedback. Sounds like the weekend after Labor Day Weekend would be the most ideal. Unless anyone else has any thoughts on it? Any later and we start going into the shitty cold, wet rainy days. Earlier, and we are still in the Labor Day Weekend, end of summer time frame.

Only other option not previous mentioned would be Snowshoe Mountain. I may get a honorable FZ09 member to come with who owns a BMW F800St(aka my old man) unless anyone has any issues with non FZ folks?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Anywhere with national forests near by works for me as I'm the camping type. I don't any reason to exclude non FZ/MT owners.

I spent a little time looking in the areas mentioned and they look like some beautiful roads and views. Anyone familiar with motorcycle lodging in that area?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, so here is a more visual graphic presentation for all those that are interested, many routes in and around WV.

Link below

·
Registered
2018 MT 09
354 Posts
I think who ever wants to come should be welcome! When it comes to lodgings... I'm more of a shower, grill, bottle of bourbon type guy. Particularly, on the hardcore riding weekend. I'm not opposed to the snowshoe area as there's a bunch of small places that might be accommodating.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I think who ever wants to come should be welcome! When it comes to lodgings... I'm more of a shower, grill, bottle of bourbon type guy. Particularly, on the hardcore riding weekend. I'm not opposed to the snowshoe area as there's a bunch of small places that might be accommodating.
I second that. My old boss goes to snowshoe often. I'll ask him what kind of lodging he gets.

·
Registered
2018 MT 09
354 Posts
A quick web search turned up a few promising places that might work. Little out of the area we were looking for, but close enough to access all the roads we want. Maybe a little more search would turn up a few other alternatives.

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
A quick web search turned up a few promising places that might work. Little out of the area we were looking for, but close enough to access all the roads we want. Maybe a little more search would turn up a few other alternatives.

In 2012 I was invited to attend Jeff Hughes (The Razors Edge) annual Chicken Run. Since Turbo Dave and his wife had a cabin rented in Marlinton Ms Shamrock and I stayed with them.
The Chicken Run was rained out but Dave and I got in a few days of riding in the Marlinton area and
I found it to be quite different than North Carolina or Tennessee. The big plus was the lack of traffic and the excellent condition of even the smallest of the backroads. The main drawbacks for me were the remoteness and the feeling if something went bad you were really gonna be on your own. (In NC and TN I have a vast network of friends that will come and rescue me no matter the problem, not so in W VA)
Since good roads overcome everything you guys have chosen wisely and your time selection would seem to be ideal.
I would love to join you guys but at this time in my life I need to stay within the orbit of friends mentioned above so if all goes well I should be in Tennessee in September.
It's up to you guys to make this happen and I know Muc will be there!
Here's a few pics of my visit to Marlinton. The guy with the Harley shirt is Jeff Hughes and his book, The Razors Edge should be required reading for anyone that pursues sport riding. The book is not a "how to" but a series of stories about everything that riding on twisty roads entails.
West Virginia and Virginia--Aug 2012 011.JPG
West Virginia and Virginia--Aug 2012 028.JPG
West Virginia and Virginia--Aug 2012 021.JPG
West Virginia and Virginia--Aug 2012 057.JPG
West Virginia and Virginia--Aug 2012 058.JPG

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Muc for the research into places to stay. Has anyone reached out to these places yet, they look fairly nice and decently priced. Maybe we can book rooms now(might be fairly cheap with everything going on)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts