Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
CDC recommends no groups bigger than 50, how close are we to that ?
It looks like a lucky 13 at the moment. Plus we haven't heard from Bullwinkle. A nice mix of new faces and some returning players. Alberts is so remote it's not even on the Covid19 map. So don't sweat the bug.

·
Premium Member
2,424 Posts
This is not good but also not surprising.
The message below was copied from a Google search of "Graham County NC".

(My little group just cancelled our April meet up in Athens TN so now we wait to see how things are closer to late May.)

A) Effective Monday, March 23,2020 all accommodation businesses shall close for business at 12:00 noon. Accommodations defined are hotels, motels, cabins, bed and breakfasts, campgrounds, or any public rental facility that typically rents for less than one month.
B) By Friday, March 27, 2020 the following highways will be closed or have restricted access. 1) Cherohala Skyway will be closed to all traffic 2) Highways US 129 and NC 28 at Deals Gap will be restricted to local resident traffic and commercial traffic 3) US 129 at Topton will be restricted to pass through detour traffic, commercial traffic, and local resident traffic only. Once the US 74 detour is ended then US 129 will be restricted to local traffic and commercial traffic only. 4) NC Highway 28 going east from Stecoah will be restricted to local and detour traffic only and commercial traffic. Once the detour is ended NC 28 will be restricted to local and commercial traffic only. Persons travelling these highways should be prepared to show a Graham County address or proof of property ownership for non-residents to be able to enter Graham County.

·
Registered
396 Posts
That is interesting. I wonder how the pushback from that will go....

I don't think were going to have too much to worry about by the end of May. I'm going to stay optimistic.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Crap...thats too bad about the road closures. I will be down that way with a group of 11 riders the first week of September providing things have settled

·
Super Moderator
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Road restrictions are becoming common in areas with histories of heavy tourist traffic. Those familiar with the Trans American Trail in Colorado will not be surprised to learn that San Juan County has closed all mountain jeep trails to nonresidents. And the Million Dollar Highway, US550 has also closed to "outsiders". Let's just keep calm and see what Van and Debbie say as we get closer to our dates. They would never place profits above human safety.

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
313 Posts
Sucks for all affected!!! They are saying many restrictions will go into June if we dont curve the infection rate.

·
Registered
2018 MT 09
362 Posts
Yeah, I actually came to post the same thing about Graham county as Shamrock. Not surprising, nothing similar posted for Yancy county where Albert's is located. Hopefully this will blow over by the end of May. I have reservation at the dragon for July too.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I was wondering how that would play out. If this doesn't slow down within the next 2-3 weeks, I can bet that Albert's will be forced to close. I will try and stay optimistic as I've been looking forward to this since November.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I think with the group of guys we have that want to make this happen, it will whether or not it's the place or the dates scheduled. I'll be out in the wild from the 23rd to the 7th, if this goes awry I'm still up to meet anyone and everyone along my path.

·
Registered
2018 MT 09
362 Posts
I think with the group of guys we have that want to make this happen, it will whether or not it's the place or the dates scheduled. I'll be out in the wild from the 23rd to the 7th, if this goes awry I'm still up to meet anyone and everyone along my path.
Trust me I'm motivate, I'll make a ride happen if I can. I'm flexible too... So we'll see what comes in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Masshole MonsTah-09er here. I'd love to join you guys and get more info. But I'm a newb as to long distance and I don't have any panniers yet. If Mr. Hudson Valley dude ( @Darf ) would like a newb riding buddy from Beantown... I might try and make this work???

My worries:

1. Newb long distance. Have done one 5 hour trip to Albany NY. So it's not the riding, it's the gear/luggage that I don't know/have.

2. Obvious pandemic concerns!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Masshole MonsTah-09er here. I'd love to join you guys and get more info. But I'm a newb as to long distance and I don't have any panniers yet. If Mr. Hudson Valley dude ( @Darf ) would like a newb riding buddy from Beantown... I might try and make this work???

My worries:

1. Newb long distance. Have done one 5 hour trip to Albany NY. So it's not the riding, it's the gear/luggage that I don't know/have.

2. Obvious pandemic concerns!
I live about 45 minutes south of Albany, but the girlfriend lives right off I90 outside of Albany.

I'm heading out on a trip the 23rd of May spending a week camping in the Appalachians and then heading to the meet. I think Jaron mentioned riding the last leg of the trip from VA with him, I think that would be the 27th? You're welcome to join me at any point!

At the very least you can ride with me back home, and I could probably find a bed for you if needed.

This is my first long trip, but I'm used to high mile days already. Take long rides consecutively to build up stamina and see what you can handle. You dont have to ride a 500 mile day every day. If I'm going to be out for 10 hours I dont ride aggressively either. Oh and learn to be comfortable in the rain.

Comfort seat if you dont have one. As for bags, I searched around here and the fellas like Kriega, and I have 2 of their bags. Pricey but worth every penny.

YouTube is the place to look for good motorcycle trip tips and advice.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yo, @Darf, thanks for the 411. I'm looking at options. Also trying to get a local buddy to join with me. He has a Yam VMAX. It is very possible he will be trailering his bike, so he'd be the support vehicle. IDK.

My worry is not the high mile trip but just not having luggage capability. Backpack yeah, but not ideal. My 5 hour trip to Albany via mainly back roads was a BLAST. I enjoyed every minute. Weather permiting, I'm a daily 30 mins commuter and my butt has gotten used to the stock seat, so I'm ok with that. The Yam Confy seat is next on the list.

Rain riding? CHECK. My first week on the bike last year, I went to Laconia bike week. The 2 hour ride turned into a 4.5 hour ride in medium rain and bumper to bumper traffic. So, yeah, got that notch on my belt. Plus, during my commutes, I've dealt with rain many times as well.

Your offer to find a bed to crash on is very much appreciated. I'll keep that in mind. Lets see how things play out.

Much appreciated the reply. I hope this works out. Otherwise, next year.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts