Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my favorite new bike of the 2020 season so far.

Compared to a Ninja 650R, for instance:

Ninja - 425 lbs. dry, 70 hp, crap suspension and brakes
Aprilia - 375 lbs. dry, 100 hp, Öhlins and Brembo!

The Aprilia is going to rip! Yet, it's not a torture-rack racebike. The clip-ons are higher than a typical track-focused sportbike, and the claim is that it's going to be just as comfortable commuting to work as it would be doing a track day. Now, obviously, you'll pay a premium for all that sexy Italian goodness. But imagine if YAMAHA decided to give the MT07 motor the same treatment, and built a track-worthy chassis with street-worthy ergonomics! And then imagine if they did the same thing with the 900 triple! I think they could have the best lineup of sporty bikes for the money of any manufacturer!

I can dream. ?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Aprilia did well this year between the 660 and the RS 250 SP. But I'm also a sucker for track weapons from the factory.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Hi-Viz and Matte Grey MT-09
409 Posts
I have a feeling the price on this will be equally disparate between the Ninja and the Aprilia.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a feeling the price on this will be equally disparate between the Ninja and the Aprilia.
Yep! ? Which is why I think Yamaha could just about split the difference (maybe slightly closer to the Aprilia) and still deliver a top notch bike... ?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
October update: MSRP has been announced for the US... $11,300

Which is not bad, I don’t think! For comparison, a 2020 R6 is $12,200, and a Ninja 650 is $7,600.

If you want a pure track bike, the R6 is the way to go. But as a street bike? I couldn’t spend an hour on an R6 in traffic or on the interstate before I wanted to chuck it into a ditch. The Ninja is probably a great bang for the buck all-rounder, but I find it boring-looking, and I imagine it would take a lot of work - and money - to bring it up to the level of handling the ‘Priller promises, and a bunch more to match the power. Plus, the RS just looks so damn sweet!

Still waiting to see what people think of the ergonomics. Will it be more comfortable just riding around than a 600? That’s the key...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Great looking bike but not sure where the riding position falls in comparison among the group. It appears more supersport than sport which places it closely with the R6. Sounds like you're looking for a full fairing MT-07 and MT-09 with rear sets and improved suspension.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great looking bike but not sure where the riding position falls in comparison among the group. It appears more supersport than sport which places it closely with the R6. Sounds like you're looking for a full fairing MT-07 and MT-09 with rear sets and improved suspension.
Well... yeah. I think that was clear in my first post.

As for RS’s riding position, Aprilia initially stated that ergonomics are a key point. You can see the clip-ons are above the triple clamp instaed of under them, which is a good sign. The pegs appear to be fairly far back, but it’s hard to tell the proportions in the photos. It seems like it will be similar to a Ducati Supersport, which is just about perfect for sporty riding.

I guess it depends on what you’re used to. If you come from pure sport bikes, it’ll probably feel really comfortable. If you come from cruisers, you might hate it...

(It might not feel much different than that Livewire you just rode. Only half as heavy...😄)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well... yeah. I think that was clear in my first post.

As for RS’s riding position, Aprilia initially stated that ergonomics are a key point. You can see the clip-ons are above the triple clamp instaed of under them, which is a good sign. The pegs appear to be fairly far back, but it’s hard to tell the proportions in the photos. It seems like it will be similar to a Ducati Supersport, which is just about perfect for sporty riding.

I guess it depends on what you’re used to. If you come from pure sport bikes, it’ll probably feel really comfortable. If you come from cruisers, you might hate it...

(It might not feel much different than that Livewire you just rode. Only half as heavy...😄)
Good points. It might only be me but I’m not sure I want a lighter bike. The MT-09 gets knocked around in the wind at highway speeds with me on it. When I weigh 60%+ of the bike I’m sure it will affect the handling too.

Saw this on MCN...

"The riding position its sporty, but nowhere near as extreme as the RSV4, or even a Blade, or ZX-10R. You sit quite ‘in’ the bike with your knees quite close together sitting beneath the wings of the sculpted fuel tank."
"Bars are splayed wide like a modern superbike, but they’re not too low and aren’t a big stretch away. Legs aren’t too squashed either, which is good news for a six-footer like me."

Reactions: Moto26

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
VisorDown said:
Sitting on the RS660 for the first time it feels compact but not cramped. The pegs are placed low without compromising ground clearance and the seat is extremely soft and comfortable. The clip-ons are mounted just above the triple clamps, meaning you’ll have to spend a full day in the saddle before there is any sign of aching wrists.
That’s what I’m talking about! 👍

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
617 Posts
What's one cost to maintain compared to a yamaha? Part for part I imagine the parts are expensive and currently hard to come by due to this COVID stuff. I remember rebuilding a jeep liberty diesel (Italian made engine). It was cheaper to have a race shop make custom one off rings for it vs getting factory imported. Plus we got the custom rings in two weeks where the factory's had a 2 month min wait time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts