Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So tis the season here in Hershey where bikes are relegated to the garage or even worse(a cover and a porch outside). Today I FINALLY pulled the trigger on getting rid of the dastardly looking OEM pumpkin turn signals that came from the Yamaha museum but may need your guys' help along the way.

Thus here is what Santa will be bringing to my stocking shortly:

I wanted the clear because as it is, these wont pass an inspection and smoked just says "pull me over harder". However, the idea of not ever having to pull the turn signals off for a TD(esp. in the rear where they are a PITA) was quite appetizing.

Upfront:

Yep. The Rizoma Corsa Turn Signals(Amber/White) with plate adapters and wire adapters. I did alot of shopping for turn signals. I was considering the following:

Bike Master
Yoshimura
Rizoma Leggera
Weiser TS(Not possible without the OEM BMW housing aka too expensive)
TS Mech GTR - Reviews weren't confidence inspiring.

even saw these in the Motorcycle Mall in NJ and decided to go with these. I definitely wanted to retain the DRL function and have LED brightness as well. These just suited my desires perfectly. Now I just need to decide if I want to keep them in the original OEM location or move them up in front of the dash like the first gen. See Relocating front (17+) Turn signals | Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

Finally one item of note is that you may have noticed I DID not order the TST LED relay. I did however order the load balancing resisters as an option with the integrated tail light as recommended by TST if you are using other brand LED Turn signals up front that have Resistors built in(and the Rizoma Turn Signals all come with the necessary resistor adapter included in each TS.) If any one has experience integrated the TST Integrated TS Tail light with other brand turn signals up front please advise.

Lastly, to clean up the back in I ordered the low mount Licence plate bracket from TST. I already have the graves with the axle blocks and LED light but aesthetically think that the low mount will look better. I will definitely be installing the License plate light there as well, however if I get the blue and red behind me too much I will revert back to the graves high mount.

·
Registered
748 Posts
with other brand turn signals up front please advise.
I installed both front and rear LED indicators from Yamaha. They did come with large ass resistors, however, I opted to use the TST relay. I do not know why even Yamaha adds resistors to their package, they just turn electricity into heat, deplete the battery faster when LEDs are economical in power requirements. I did not want those heat sources under the seat or the front cowling, just to melt shit? nah, thanks. Or as Ze Germans would say... 9 !!!

I strongly suggest not using resistors. Makes no sense. Use the TST relay, you'll thank me later. Plus, I can leave my hazards on for at least a couple of hours without draining the battery below crank voltage. Win Win!

You already purchased your blinkers... but here's my setup:

FRONT YME-FLB2F-00 & rear YME-FLB2R-00

These are OEM Yamaha blinkers. They have white DRL in the front with amber blinkers. And they have red DRL on back with amber blinkers and additional brake lights. They are expensive and they go on OEM blinker location in the back. But I'm all about MORE visibility and having 3 brake lights on the back together with the amber blinkers... I'm a happy camper.

Search the forum for pictures and videos of those blinkers if you want examples. I can also take pics or maybe a video of mine.

Having an all white lighting system in the front is awesome too. The front is all tied in and I am heck of a lot more visible in peoples rear view mirrors. Have received compliments.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It would appear MotoSouth on YT did the same. I think I’ll follow suite and get the TST relay. Seems even less complicated than the resistors/less maintenance

·
Registered
748 Posts
I forgot, another advantage of the TST relay is being able to adjust the flashing speed. Stock is DOT standard, but you can make is faster. I don't like it blinking ridic fast, as if a light was burned out, but just in the middle range. :)

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How do you adjust it? Is it the little gear thing on the grey cover?

·
Registered
419 Posts
How do you adjust it? Is it the little gear thing on the grey cover?
The grey cap pulls off and there is a little adjuster screw inside the unit for adjusting the flash rate.

I don't have the tst relay on my MT-09 but I used one on my previous bike (2010 zx6r) which worked like a charm. The 2010 zx6r has the front turn signals built right into the fairing so I didn't care to change those but I installed an integrated taillight which caused the system to flash too quickly. The tst relay just plugged in right where the stock one was and I just had to tune the flash rate and that was it.

For the 20 bones it cost the tst relay is completely worth it in my eyes so you don't have to mess around with resistors and the additional soldering IMO.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The grey cap pulls off and there is a little adjuster screw inside the unit for adjusting the flash rate.

I don't have the tst relay on my MT-09 but I used one on my previous bike (2010 zx6r) which worked like a charm. The 2010 zx6r has the front turn signals built right into the fairing so I didn't care to change those but I installed an integrated taillight which caused the system to flash too quickly. The tst relay just plugged in right where the stock one was and I just had to tune the flash rate and that was it.

For the 20 bones it cost the tst relay is completely worth it in my eyes so you don't have to mess around with resistors and the additional soldering IMO.
Ahhh a good ok fashion Rheostat

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rizoma Time!...Sorta...

Package came in the mail and of course I was eager to promptly inventory items that I have.

Purrrty. 😍😍😍

What you see here are the top two are the Turn signals themselves(Black housing and Amber/White[DRL]), a Cable Adapter for Yamaha(bottom left)...more on that in a moment, and the Adapter plates 2x(bottom right) for placement in the OEM location.

Cracked open the Turn Signal box and man the quality of the box alone says Italian!

Contents in the Rizoma Corsa Turn Signal include resistors(throwing out), Turn Signal with bullet connectors, Back end nut, washer, and plastic cover to protect materials at the base surface. Rizoma spares no expese:

As you can see here very clearly there are 3 bullet connectors one for the ground, amber light, and DRL. However on the Adapter, there are only two(amber and ground). Semi-disgruntled but not overtly PO'd a swift search pulled up TST's 3 prong adapter for Yamaha's to enable the DRL function.

TST Industries | Yamaha Harness Converter

TST made quick work of that culprit. So thinking I was gonna take plenty of pictures of my new Christmas lights led my mind to go into brainstorming mode.

Corsa, meet pumpkin. Pumpkin, meet Corsa...

Now how many of you have considered relocating your turn signals up front and top like the first gen's and like the Yamaha God's intended? 🙋‍♂️

Looking at this, I see feasibility. Just need to come up with some sort of bracket to attach the TS to the upper screw that holds the housing unit. Additionally, through fault of my own, my MRA Racing Wind screen is quite wide:

therefore require the Rizoma Turn Signal Extenders to ensure visibility all around...

Rizoma Turn Signal Spacer - RevZilla

It extends the turnsignal out 32mm (approx 1.6 inches or me on a cold day), for added visibility. IDK, but before I go any further, I really need those adapter cables.

This is why it is a "Winter project" so as I don't mind waiting to show off my new goodies at starbucks later.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Noice! Rizoma packaging is eye candy in itself. I wanted to do Rizoma signals up front and rear, but as a college student I don't have Rizoma money at the moment :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Noice! Rizoma packaging is eye candy in itself. I wanted to do Rizoma signals up front and rear, but as a college student I don't have Rizoma money at the moment :ROFLMAO:
You’ll get there man, I know it may not seem like it, but before you know it you’ll have a mortgage and be have two little Yamaha’s on the way.

I certain couldn’t afford Rizoma in college. More like Ramen

·
Registered
93 Posts
You’ll get there man, I know it may not seem like it, but before you know it you’ll have a mortgage and be have two little Yamaha’s on the way.

I certain couldn’t afford Rizoma in college. More like Ramen
It's been a long road - definitely looking forward to it. My fiancee just graduated and is working full time so that relieves some of the stress for sure.

Ramen is at the top of the food chain haha

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So installed the rear TST Integrated Turn Signal and Elite 1 low mount Fender Eliminator. To spare you the lengthy dissertation of how I installed it here is the video from TST themselves. Even in the instructions TST said..."youtube it" lol

How to install a Programmable Integrated Tail light on a 2017+ Yamaha FZ-09 by TST Industries - YouTube

I will however add notes that I did not foresee,

#1) Take off all tail section fairings. Trust me. It will be easier to work around and you won't have to necessarily farkle with anything else.

#2) In case any of you do endeavour down this road, this is very IMPORTANT. For safety, the below is the CORRECT wiring for the left and right turn signals:

Brown Male plug into the Black Female Plug
Green Male Plug into the Grey/Sliver Female Plug

The wires you see to the lower left are the license plate running light. With the advent of the light being down below i DEFINITELY wanted to have lighting on the plate. I snuck the wires up through the opening where the rectifier sits and that made quick work of that. I will emphasize to keep everything loose on the fender bracket from TST until you get your desired results.

All in all, I love the aesthetics, and I know @PinoyRider88 will be thanking himself come trackseason when taping is a cinch! The new tail light is very reminiscent of an F-18 after burner, Resemblence:?

F-18 might be slightly faster...slightly

Next up is up front Rizoma Turn Signals. I have them but am awaiting for the following:

• Mending brackets to relocate and extend the turn signals where the top headlight mount bolts are
  • Rizoma Extensions to extend the Turn Signals around the giant MRA Racing Wind screen
-TST 3 adapter which preserves the Day Time Running Function.

·
Registered
2017 Hi-Viz and Matte Grey MT-09
572 Posts
Per TST, a jet's exhaust was an inspiration for their taillight.

Also, you might be surprised by the motorcycle vs jet on a flat runway in 0-60 race. After 60 mph, you're probably toast. Now 0-60 out of a CATOBAR aircraft carrier? Not so much. That's something like 0-150+ mph in 2 seconds.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Per TST, a jet's exhaust was an inspiration for their taillight.

Also, you might be surprised by the motorcycle vs jet on a flat runway in 0-60 race. After 60 mph, you're probably toast. Now 0-60 out of a CATOBAR aircraft carrier? Not so much. That's something like 0-150+ mph in 2 seconds.
Hmmmmm gets me thinking, anyone want to put their FZ-09 on a aircraft carrier CATOBAR?

It's cheating, it's using twin turbos. If it wasn't for that...
two very big turbos. Time to get out my old cheater bike #636

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
All the below components finally arrived!
  • Mending brackets to relocate and extend the turn signals where the top headlight mount bolts are
  • Rizoma Extensions to extend the Turn Signals around the giant MRA Racing Wind screen
  • TST 3 adapter which preserves the Day Time Running Function.
I will list a link for those desiring to relocate the turn Signals in the original Relocating front (17+) Turn signals | Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

I did a dry fit to ensure a couple of things,

#1) everything works and works as I anticipated. And man the brightness of these LED's just do not do justice! And moreover, relocating them to the top will make even Prius drivers that you exist on the road.

#2) I wanted to see how these thing plug up and the length of the wiring to see if the relocating was even feasible. Rest assured there is copious amount of length.

To tell you how determined I was to make this work, I didn't even open up the Rizoma OEM Turn Signal Bracket adapter(to fit to the OEM location).

I didn't really get an opportunity to take as many pictures of the install process as I desired, but I will kinda walk you through my process

1) I used a step drill to widen the mending brackets. I recommend a vice or vice grips and old sock to clamp down on the bracket. You will need to widen it to about 5/16" for the Rizoma Turn Signal Side and then 1/4" for the hole where the upper headlight bolt it. Below is the link for the mending brace:

Amazon.com: 22 Sets Stainless Steel Black 50mm Straight Brackets Flat Metal Brackets Mending Repair Plate Brace with Screws for Wood Straight Brace: Home Improvement

There are are 22 of them so if you mess up the first time, NBD...if you mess up the 21st time...measure twice.

Below is where I routed the wires. That area behind the maleable rubber cover has copious amounts of room for wire routing and again, length should not be an issue(TWSS) on this side or the other.

I wanted the 3 bullet connectors covered within the faux intake housing protected from the elements and speaking of wiring below is the CORRECT routing JUST for the TST 3 bullet adapter to Rizoma Corsa Turn Signal:

All in all, I love how this project came out and with the RIzoma extenders and metal mending brackets those turn Signals are solid. I am not sure how spacing will turn out come track season when I turn my Woodcraft Clip-On Risers downward but I will keep all informed.

Let me know what you guys think and if you have any questions...unless you are looking at this forum in 2024. As I may not be in FZ09-land anymore #Tracer9gt

1 - 17 of 17 Posts