Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
is there anyone here that would prefer one of these things over an mt09, xsr900 or Tracer. It does nothing for me and my level of interest is mostly wondering what the point of it is. I'm guessing that these don't become a big hit.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Just random thoughts about what ride to fish had to say.
I don't blame anyone for wanting to ride one or buy one.
Different strokes for different riders
It is all about finding what is the most fun.

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
1,660 Posts
is there anyone here that would prefer one of these things over an mt09, xsr900 or Tracer. It does nothing for me and my level of interest is mostly wondering what the point of it is. I'm guessing that these don't become a big hit.
I wouldn't trade my XSR for it, but if I were looking to add a sport tourer to my garage, I could see choosing the Niken GT over a Tracer GT, depending on test rides of both - plus the usual ride reports from other sources. I certainly wouldn't rule it out without consideration. The price isn't much higher than the Tracer, and it's less than an FJR.

I don't have any interest in cruisers or Gold Wings or Harleys, but I get why other people might like them, so I'm not really bothered by the fact that those bikes are sold...

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I just can't get around the looks of the thing. 4 forks on the outside???? It looks like something a back yard builder would dream up just to be different made from some junk yard parts.
I love the way the forks look.
And most backyard builders would only use one set of forklegs. Its cheaper. Thre was a guy on custom fighters building a leaning two wheeler a few years ago.
And the 4 forks work really well. No pogo, and rebound and comp damping

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
It isnt a hooligan bike like the 09, but corners and braking are really, really stable. I was talking to one of the owners of bikebiz where i did the test ride. They took them through the royal national park (the nasho). The nasho runs from sydney to wollongong, and can be very mossy down the bottom as the trees block sunlight from getting to the road, so it grows accross the road. Sphincter puckering when the road suddenly turns green. He said no such problems with the nikken, it didn't matter, it just gripped.

Form is weird, but function is very, very good.

Still needs a turbo, though.

·
Super Moderator
4,207 Posts
Regardless, I can imagine the Niken being much more fun than one of those pricey Goldwing trike-conversions. And there's a shit ton of Goldwing trikes on the road.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Just noticed the side stand. Can these things tip over on their sides?
Well, yeah. Despite the extra wheel, this is in every other sense a single track vehicle, just like a motorcycle. It has to lean to turn. You countersteer, just like on a bike. And when it's leaning over, there's no resistance by the inside forks. The fork lengths stay relatively constant at all lean angles. So yes, without a sidestand it would fall right over.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
That’s what I figured. The bad part of that, of course, is it eliminates three wheeler buyers who require the upright stability, which certainly reduces the marketplace for Yamaha. I saw their three wheel scooter the last time I was in Europe. It looked very similar to this one, but was free standing. I think it was around 150 cc.

Edit: Found it. It’s called a Tri-City and it came in 125cc and 155cc. It does appear to be free standing in a straight upright position, has a sidestand and centerstand as well. Granted, scooter versus sportbike, but similar concept.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
No, I see this as an intermediary between a regular motorcycle and something like the Can Am Spyder. It's certainly not for the person who has trouble holding up a bike in the first place. But it can definitely be useful for the rider who wants to go through corners like they used to, but maybe their reaction time isn't what it used to be. When you go into a turn on a regular bike and find an unexpected patch of sand, puddle, or pile of leaves and the front end tucks, you've got to be pretty quick and strong to save it. But this Niken should be a huge help in that regard. I think that's the main benefit.

I feel like, at 55, I still have most of my skills and I still like to ride fast and corner hard. But I can see a point down the road where something like the Niken might be able to extend my "sporting" career for years longer than I would otherwise enjoy. I can't really see myself on a Can Am, and absolutely would not ever ride a classic "trike". I'd get a Miata first.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts