Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Pretty heavy compared with a stock FZ09. But 120 lbs lighter than a BMW1600 GT, with the GT is sporting 60 hp and 60 lb ft more than the Niken.
I wonder how the Niken would be with a turbo setup?
Probably great. 190 Tyre. Longer swing arm. Heavier front. Larger oil capacity? But, a to long rear wheel hugger :)

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
If I wanted a three wheeler, this would be major contender on all levels. More sporty, more versatile, less weight, less money (even at $16k), much more compact, more fun, better looking, etc. Yamaha deserves a lot of credit for putting this on the market.

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
1,662 Posts
Im test riding one this Saturday - a dealership is doing testrides. These pics are pinched from facebook. Yamaha aus did a dealer day at eastern creek
Full report, please! I haven't even seen one of these yet, much less ridden one. Those pics look awesome. It looks like a hoot to ride. I hope they let you give it a good flog, not just a ride around the block...

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
If I wanted a three wheeler, this would be major contender on all levels. More sporty, more versatile, less weight, less money (even at $16k), much more compact, more fun, better looking, etc. Yamaha deserves a lot of credit for putting this on the market.
I'd expect Fuel to get one first locally, but no has as of yet..

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Well.....
Just a half hour or 45 minute ride. It feels big, isnt really. Forks are 440mm wide, and the bars are as wide as a yamaha tmax scooter.
It is 280kgs, and feels a bit heavy at standstill, but is very light as soon as you let the clutch out.
Motor is still MT09 peppy, but without the effortless wheelies. Just drive.
Corners are hilarious. So much grip through a giant roundabout.
If i was looking for a $24K aus long distance mile eater, it would be on my list. Good suspsnsion, great brakes, all the electrickery (USB port, TCS, ride modes, cruise control, quickshifter, etc, etc) and a front end that inspires confidence.
Just needs a turbo.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I just can't get around the looks of the thing. 4 forks on the outside???? It looks like something a back yard builder would dream up just to be different made from some junk yard parts.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
After 40 something years on two wheels my brother is checking out a Niken. Still keeping the 09 though.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I suspect that there are many that would discover a whole new level of excitement barreling into corners on a Niken.
I could not agree more. But let's think about this one step further.
I once read an article that I found both interesting and enlightening. To sum it up in short form.
We are all decedents from a long line of ancestors and each of us have a scattering of genes from many sources.
Way back when there were basically two type of people, hunter gathers and farmers.
The hunter had to face a tiger with nothing more than a spear in order to have dinner that week. He probably would have been bored silly watching crops grow and the mundane tasks of weeding and harvesting.
The farmer would probably been frightened silly having to face a tiger but on the other hand he probably lived a longer and healthier life.

We are all a mix of some of the genes from both those pools. We motorcyclists probably have a bit more of the hunter type genes but how many of us would want to try and jump of Ceasers's palace, wing surfing, mountain climbing sheer cliffs with no gear?

How many of you have ever experienced "the zone" or even know what I mean by it? I have only experienced it twice in my life. The most memorable was on the dragon sending sparks off of both sides of my bike in each corner while experiencing such a feeling of calm and joy that is hard to even describe. It seemed everything was occurring in slow motion almost as if I didn't even need to touch the brakes until far into the corner like I was somehow above myself looking down upon my other self so there was no fear at all. (If he crashed I was safe up here?)

My point to all this long thought process is that what works for one person isn't the same for another. There are days when I can ride peacefully for hours at a time but other days when if I don't scare myself at least twice an hour I am disappointed in myself. It is all about where each of us edges are. You maybe faster but are you having more fun?

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
1,662 Posts
Pegasus, I'm not sure what all that was about, but... I've definitely been in The Zone. And I also really want to ride a Niken. So there's that.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts