Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just recently bought a 2019 mt09 from the dealer everything was working good on it and then I noticed one day while I was riding that my horn didn't work didn't think anything of it.... Later that day I got in the mail my M4 exhaust which I put on and took it for a test ride to see how it sounded. While I was stopped at a light someone told me I had no taillight and then I realized I also didn't had any running lights. I went home and did some research and went and got a box of 7.5a fuses and replaced it. But when I cycle the bike with the key it keeps blowing. I unplugged the rear taillight, rear turn signals and the horn and it still keeps blowing and I have no idea why it keeps blowing. Any suggestions??? Also another thought I had was that maybe the o2 sensor acted as some sort of ground and the paint from the exhaust could prevent a good ground causing it to blow? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
That's funny.... same thing happens to mine. I would use the horn and it would stop working along with the tail lights. I had to ride home one night in stealth mode and wasn't too happy about that. =] I just unplugged the horn, replaced the fuse and have been riding it ever since. I have an aftermarket horn somewhere in a box I've been meaning to swap out. I wonder if the horn just malfunctioned and is causing the current draw? If I figure it out I'll surely let you know.

Try and unplug your horn, replace the fuse and see what happens.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
You do have a warranty on it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's funny.... same thing happens to mine. I would use the horn and it would stop working along with the tail lights. I had to ride home one night in stealth mode and wasn't too happy about that. =] I just unplugged the horn, replaced the fuse and have been riding it ever since. I have an aftermarket horn somewhere in a box I've been meaning to swap out. I wonder if the horn just malfunctioned and is causing the current draw? If I figure it out I'll surely let you know.

Try and unplug your horn, replace the fuse and see what happens.
Yeah I tried that and it just keeps blowing for some weird reason, time to take it to the dealer!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You do have a warranty on it?
Yeah I do I'm gonna take it up there tomorrow and see what they say I've only put like 620 miles on it, I just hate having to take it up to the dealer. I'll keep you guys posted and see what they say

·
Registered
594 Posts
Which fuse is it? We have 7.5 amp, what systems does it protect? I don't have the fuse block info on a 19 year model. Maybe the you can figure out which system is shorting and check the circuit. This is not rocket surgery. Good luck.

Ride sane.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Which fuse is it? We have 7.5 amp, what systems does it protect? I don't have the fuse block info on a 19 year model. Maybe the you can figure out which system is shorting and check the circuit. This is not rocket surgery. Good luck.

Ride sane.
Here's the diagram I've been using, I took my bike to the dealer since it only has 620 miles and still has the warranty on it, pretty sure it has to do something with the horn, I unplugged everything except for the horn before I dropped it off to see if it was the taillight or running lights and forgot to check the horn lol. I'm going to give the dealer a call tomorrow and see if they found out what the problem could be. I'll keep everyone posted

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bet it's a pinched wire ...
It very possibly could be. I'm hoping it isn't since the dealer will have to strip to whole bike down the find the short which means it'll take even longer for me to get it back

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hopefully you get a quick and permanent solution! I'll be watching to see what was the culprit

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
It very possibly could be. I'm hoping it isn't since the dealer will have to strip to whole bike down the find the short which means it'll take even longer for me to get it back
No, it should be reasonably easy to find with a mulitimeter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey everybody I got my bike back from the dealer!! So what was causing the issue? There is a fuse located behind the radiator that is which was causing the issue. That fuse behind the radiator was blown which caused the running light fuse to blow, glad they were able to figure out the problem!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cool! Did they have any idea what may have cause the fuse behind the rad to blow?
I asked them what would cause it to blow and they said they didn't know. But now that I know where it is I'll be able to fix it myself instead of having to take it in. Not a big fan of dealerships

·
Registered
57 Posts
Wow that's great! It's pretty strange that this isn't common knowledge. I'll have to look into what this fuse is. I'll bet that's what is wrong with mine. Thanks a bunch for posting the outcome.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts