Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2018 MT09 Street
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem and i need help. I recently bought a 2018 mt09 with a full carbon akrapovic exhaust system on the bike. There were two previous owners before me. The second owner, the guy i bought the bike from said that the first owner bought the bike from the the dealership with a full akrapovic exhaust installed and tuned by the dealership. i don't fully trust the second owner's knowledge of the bike's history. But the bike looks good and almost brand new, around 2000 miles on the odometer when i bought it.

My problem is when i rode the bike and i was sitting on a red light when the bike was idling and when i apply a little rev from a stand still and on neutral the bike would stall. It would idle on a stop on neutral just fine up until you apply a small amount of rev. If you add about 2500rpm or less of rev the engine would shut off. But if you add a quick and big enough rev about 3500+ rpm it would rev up just fine all the time. I could only manage to successfully rev the engine for 2500rpm about half of the time without the engine dying, so it does not stall all the time when you rev it slightly.

Like i said i do not know the history of the bike due to the two previews owners. I do not believe the dealer even installed the full exhaust and tuned it so i think someone is lying. I think the original owner which is the first owner bought and installed the full akrapovic exhaust without having it tuned and sold the bike to the second owner who i bought it from but i am just speculating.

What should i do? Is it just a tuning problem or could it be something else? Or probably a bad spark plug? And the bike already has 2000 miles when i bought it and i guess it was running in that state. Any suggestion on the direction i should go to fix this idle+rev=engines stall situation? Your help would be appreciated. Thanks,

·
Registered
2018 MT09 Street
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So i did some investigation and i found out a few things. Who ever did this did not complete the modifications like i suspect from the beginning. And it was running at this state for about 2000 miles.

1. The bike had an airbox mod procedure. The front engine plastic cover (1RC-241B1-00-00) has been cut for an opening.

2. The snorkel funnel of the top cover of the airbox (1RC-14421-20-00) has been cut to a shorter length and it had the original factory air filter.

3. I think the ecu has not been flashed or tuned at all because it looks clean and i do not see any sticker or signature from a tuning company on the ecu box. Or it was badly tuned because i am experiencing engine stall from idle when i slightly rev the engine.

4. The air induction system (2S3-14840-00-00) the orginal block plates (5SL-14899-00-00) (5JW-14889-00-00) have been alone and untouched. It was not deleted. Maybe it is a good thing?

And i saw a few concerning things when i opened the bike up:

1. What is this plug lead to or suppose to connect to. When i looked at it closer the two wholes were blocked with black plastic. It seems like it come from the factory like that but i do not know? Should i be worried?

2. What are these wires that seems to just terminate and are glued over by clear resin? What is it suppose to do and is it stock?

3. Does this wiring look stock? Should i be worried?

4. When i touch this liquid stuff it seems oily, it seem like it is coming form that hole, from the AIS assembly. Why is there oil inside the airbox? I did my first oil change with this bike a week ago and i filled the oil to the top level. Does that have something to do with it? Should i not fill it so much next time?

Knowing these things and with the full akrapovic exhaust system. Should i delete the AIS system and install block off plates. And then send the ecu by mail for tuning or dyno tune with those setups

Or should i buy new stock plastics both the front gas tank cover and top lid airbox cover the one with the snorkel. And then tune the ecu by mail or dyno tune.

I just want to say that i am not an mechanic or an expert. I am just a normal guy like everyone else. I learn by watching youtube and on being in forums. I try to do maintenance and fix things myself on bikes. But i would not say i am very knowledgeable. I have two R6 and i have been riding street and track, off and on for two years now and i do all the maintenance on them based of my comfort level on working on these bikes. But i am new to the CP3 engine that is why i am here. I will consider any advice you guys have. Thanks

·
Registered
2018 MT09 Street
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not knowing what the bike has been though B4 you I would do a TB sync and see if that cleans things up and check the air filter....
Yea, i will do this after i decide to delete the AIS system or not. I need to throttle body sync anyway for my piece of mind. And i think there is a good video on you tube about it and i need to buy the measuring tool for the sync.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Everything you have outlined on the wiring part of things in normal and the way it came from the factory so do not worry about that part you are all good ! For me myself and I ..I would replace the cut up air box and go back to stock ..remove the air induction crap and have your ECU flashed by VCyclenut ..then do the TB sync !! As for the oil in the air box I have always found a bit in every bike I have owned as long as its not soaking wet its quite normal ...

·
Registered
2018 MT09 Street
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Everything you have outlined on the wiring part of things in normal and the way it came from the factory so do not worry about that part you are all good ! For me myself and I ..I would replace the cut up air box and go back to stock ..remove the air induction crap and have your ECU flashed by VCyclenut ..then do the TB sync !! As for the oil in the air box I have always found a bit in every bike I have owned as long as its not soaking wet its quite normal ...
thanks for the advice and information.

i will go ahead and get a vcyclenut ecu tune, block off plates for the AIS delete, and a sprint filter.

i will let you guys know the outcome.

·
Registered
63 Posts
thanks for the advice and information.

i will go ahead and get a vcyclenut ecu tune, block off plates for the AIS delete, and a sprint filter.

i will let you guys know the outcome.
One thing at a time. How do you know if you are fixing your problem if you through the whole sink at it. Your goal was to fix a stall and now you are going full mod. Replae the butchered air box and see how you like the bike.

·
Registered
2018 MT09 Street
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One thing at a time. How do you know if you are fixing your problem if you through the whole sink at it. Your goal was to fix a stall and now you are going full mod. Replae the butchered air box and see how you like the bike.
my suspicion was that it had to do something with the ecu. and i messaged vcyclenut and he said that it probably needed a ecu flash. so i went ahead and completed the modification for having a full exhaust which is to have an ecu flash and ais block off plates. plus i needed a tb sync anyways. bought the tool for regular tb maintenance. i have two other r6 anyways one track, one street sitting in my garage that both need some work.

·
Registered
57 Posts
1. What is this plug lead to or suppose to connect to.
This looks like it's the connector for the factory QuickShifter! It's blocked off of course for protection. You remove the blank connector and connect the QuickShifter there.

·
Registered
2018 MT09 Street
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This looks like it's the connector for the factory QuickShifter! It's blocked off of course for protection. You remove the blank connector and connect the QuickShifter there.
now i know, thank you for that info

1 - 11 of 11 Posts