Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Yamaha MT-09
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here, living in Trinidad and Tobago in the Caribbean.

Currently rolling on a 2018 MT-09 ABS model. Have dome some upgrades to her which are listed below

Usually, videotape runs I do, and if anyone wants to see what our island looks like they can take a look at the youtube link below.

Just some of the mods I have done to her are:

Engine:
  • Akra full Carbon exhaust
  • Dynojet PV3 Tune
  • Lithium Battery
  • K&N Filter
Chasis/Protection:
  • Woodcraft rearsets
  • Passenger peg deletes
  • SW-Motech Crash bars
  • Woodcraft axle sliders
  • Woodcraft engine covers
  • Puig Touring windscreen
Tyres:
- Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa 2

Brakes:
  • Stock calipers
  • Galfer pads
  • Spieglar Braided lines
Suspension:
  • Stoltec Moto tuned forks (w/Piston kit)
  • Penske Triple click out back
  • GPR v4 stabilizer
Future Mods:
  • RCS19 MBC with clutch lever
  • Rotobox CF wheels
  • G2 Quick turn throttle or Motion Pro or R6 throttle tube that was recommended by one of the users here
Here's a Pic of the home girl

Cheers Guys,

Anything I can be helpful with I will most certainly try to be!

All the best and keep safe!

Kylos

·
Registered
2018 Yamaha MT-09
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the galfer pads give nice initial bite and are fairly progressive, however, I find when you repeatedly ask them to perform you do get a touch bit of brake fade. This can also I guess be caused by the axial master cylinder too that the mt's come with.

They are ok for regular and some spirited riding but I'm looking to change them out. heard the Vesrah RJL's are super so will try those on next :D

·
Registered
2018 Yamaha MT-09
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, Keef, question are they direct bolt-on or would some modification need to be done to get them to slot up, not opposed to the idea as braking is quite high up on the priority list lol!

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
you need 10mm or 11mm spacers for the calipers, and (i think) 04-06 R1 rotors. That's it.
I did it on my 2014 after adding the penske and stoltec FPK.

·
Registered
176 Posts
the galfer pads give nice initial bite and are fairly progressive, however, I find when you repeatedly ask them to perform you do get a touch bit of brake fade. This can also I guess be caused by the axial master cylinder too that the mt's come with.

They are ok for regular and some spirited riding but I'm looking to change them out. heard the Vesrah RJL's are super so will try those on next :D
I use EBC and find them good.At Italian forum they talk best for theese ZCOO by DID.I can't find them in my country.

·
Registered
2018 Yamaha MT-09
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Keef, sweet!, tell me what noticeable differences did you feel, and did you experience any tradeoffs I.e increased weight or anything of nature? Were the size of the OE pads enough to clamp the majority of the whole rotor or was their spill off as well?

·
Registered
2018 Yamaha MT-09
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Bill, I haven't tried EBC on the MT, I did however have EBC on my 600rr and they worked good. never heard of ZCOO, will take a looksey at the link, however, I have 2 friends who ride pretty fast and aggressively and they swear by the RJL Vesrahs.
I'm usually a more aggressive trail braking guy so my interest is piqued where the RJL's are concerned but will still do some read up on the ZCOO :D

·
Registered
176 Posts
As regards Vesrah from my previeous bikes,I remember that simple JL were OK from cold.The RJL loose initial bite when cold,but hot were very strong.

·
Registered
2018 Yamaha MT-09
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As regards Vesrah from my previeous bikes,I remember that simple JL were OK from cold.The RJL loose initial bite when cold,but hot were very strong.
this is good though i need that strong bite when hot, our roads where we ride down here are short/technical so the pad getting up to temperature shudnt be too much of an issue hehe

·
Registered
13 Posts
T&T is beautiful! Bet you have lots of fun riding there. Used to love the drive to Maracas Beach!
Nice bike and well put together!

·
Registered
2018 Yamaha MT-09
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
T&T is beautiful! Bet you have lots of fun riding there. Used to love the drive to Maracas Beach!
Nice bike and well put together!
Hey GT so glad you know the island, you used to live here or visit? and yup that's where most of the rides take place to maracas and past maracas. the variation of quick corners/mid long sweepers and uphill/downhills as you would remember are a BLAST to ride :D

thanks for the compliment on the bike too i love form n function, not to much to upgrade to complete her in totality

·
Registered
13 Posts
Kylos, years ago i worked for BWIA and spent quite some time in TT. I'm originally from Guyana (hence the GT :) )
I truly love the island, hoping to visit in 2021 for the Tobago Cycling Classic.. plan was to be there this year but as you know it was cancelled due to the pandemic.
Enjoy the bike and the twisties..be safe!

·
Registered
2018 Yamaha MT-09
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kylos, years ago i worked for BWIA and spent quite some time in TT. I'm originally from Guyana (hence the GT :) )
I truly love the island, hoping to visit in 2021 for the Tobago Cycling Classic.. plan was to be there this year but as you know it was cancelled due to the pandemic.
Enjoy the bike and the twisties..be safe!
ayyyy fellow neighbour man haha yea i usually traverse to Guyana alot for work, but as you rightfully said the pandemic has everyone locked down tightly!, if your in the neighbourhood next year you can always shout, till then i usually upload videos weekly of the rides

definitely will enjoy the twisties my brother!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
ayyyy fellow neighbour man haha yea i usually traverse to Guyana alot for work, but as you rightfully said the pandemic has everyone locked down tightly!, if your in the neighbourhood next year you can always shout, till then i usually upload videos weekly of the rides

definitely will enjoy the twisties my brother!!
definitely will hit u up when i'm there, need to get me some doubles...lol

·
Registered
2018 Yamaha MT-09
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey team,

I will post videos on this thread for anyone's entertainment if they want to watch as i do and edit up runs on my little side of the world here...blessings to you all and hope you all are keeping safe!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts