Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
A grippy seat takes some weight off the hands and arms when braking and accelerating hard. This is important if you want to sit forward to control wheelies. My Hyperstrada locks me into one position, which I find comfortable for hours on end. It does have more legroom, and the new seat improves that too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
As everyone here knows, the stock seat is terribly uncomfortable, especially downhill where I have to clench the tank with my knees in order to not slide forward. I bought the Comfort Seat from Partzilla ($188) and here is my review:

Pros: the comfort seat is broader and more level over the entire area where I sit, which makes it much more comfortable. The faux suede surface material is grippier so I don't slide around as much, including downhill. The added height of the comfort seat means my knees are not as bent as much when riding.

Cons: The foam is VERY firm for my 155lbs and I hope it breaks in over time. By far the biggest con is the additional height over the stock seat. On the stock seat I can stand flat footed and on the comfort seat my heels are lifted by about 2.5" This seems like a minor difference, but I was shocked by how much of a difference raising the center of gravity made in the handling on tight turns. On the tight winding road I ride, it is the difference between a heart rate of 75 bpm, and 95 bpm, between dry arm pits and damp. Also, it feels like I am sitting on top of the bike rather than IN the bike with the stock seat.

For these reasons I decided to modify the stock seat by reshaping the sitting area. I used a saw and foam shaver to level the area where my sit bones rest (pictures below). Because the foam is so dense, I still don't sink through to the pan. It worked GREAT. The seat cradles the right areas so that my hips don't roll forward and it's way more comfortable that the stock shape (although still not as comfortable as the Comfort Seat). It's had the added bonus of LOWERING my center of gravity so the handling, and confidence, in sharp turns is improved. The seat cover now stretches above the foam, but it doesn't affect the comfort.

I recommend trying this modification to the stock seat before you purchase another seat, especially if you are a light rider like I am. What's the worst that can happen? It won't work and you'll have to buy a comfort seat. Now I have both: the modified one for canyon carving, and the Comfort Seat for longer rides.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have this seat, and i have over 4K miles on it. I love this seat. Also looks like new. Not much tear, and wear on it at all.
Really worth the money in my opinion.
Does raise the ride height, and make the bike little "wider", if you can live with that, its a perfect addition.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Just had my inaugural run with my new comfort seat. I agree with the reviews... it's a bit firm initially but a huge improvement in general support and slope elimination. Also better tactile quality & finish than the stock seat.

My only regret is that the height boost cost me some of the tranquility I'd just discovered with my new MRA windshield. I was able to McGyver the mounting brackets to raise the windshield, now just watching the forecast hoping for one last ride before winter gets here.

·
Registered
26 Posts
i dont know where you guys are, but i have installed the factory grip warmers . I really like them. That with the comfort seat :)

41 - 45 of 45 Posts