Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I've got an 2017 FZ09 and I love it. I hit 3,000 miles on it today. Unfortunately, it seems like its vibrating more than it should be. My hands and feet go numb in less than an hour. I don't remember it having so much vibration when it was brand new so I've been looking into some possible causes. I mentioned the issue when I took it in for the handlebar recall at 1500 miles, but the tech said nothing was out of the ordinary. I think the problem is worse since then. I torqued just about every bolt on the bike and nothing was loose. Today on my ride to work I paid really close attention to every sound and vibration from the engine. I can hear a slight steady knocking if I put my ear right up to it, but I think that may be normal. The other thing I can hear and feel is a slight intermittent vibration that feels like something is loose. I can feel it in my foot pegs especially at lower rpms. It's not steady and predictable like the normal vibration. Could it be the cam chain tensioner? Any input is appreciated. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Doesn't sound engine related to me. The CCT would allow the cam chain to rattle, but not generate bike vibrations. My guess would be the tires and tire balance. Try riding on a smooth road where the bikes shadow is visible...and see if you can detect any movement. Or, just remove each tire/wheel and have them balanced.

Also, before I even rode my FZ, I installed grip puppies and rubber topped foot pegs. The OEM pegs are junk.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I agree with spacecoast, its not the cct. I bet the sound you are hearing is the chain, WAY to tight. The dealer sets it and it doesn't have nearly enough slack. I would say that is the sound you are hearing and may contribute to the vibration you are feeling. Try loosing the rear wheel (27 mm socket), give that chain some slack, tighten it up and take it for a ride. If that isn't it, your tires and balancing of the tires could be the culprit, but the chain, that is my guess.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys, but it's not the chain. The vibration and sounds persist during idle and when im revving it while the bike is stationary. I just personally removed and reinstalled the front and rear wheels to get new tires put on and to do some other mods like the fender eliminator. I made sure the chain slack was to spec. I also installed softer grips and slightly better foot pegs. They helped a bit, but nothing substantial.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
That is puzzling. I'll keep thinking, maybe after coffee something will come to mind.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Have you done any recent mods or anything else to the bike since this has started? Just trying to get a grasp on the issue. I know you have probably combed the bike over for something loose. I would suggest doing that again. It doesnt really sound like an engine issue to me, but I am no expert.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Thanks for the input guys, but it's not the chain. The vibration and sounds persist during idle and when im revving it while the bike is stationary. I just personally removed and reinstalled the front and rear wheels to get new tires put on and to do some other mods like the fender eliminator. I made sure the chain slack was to spec. I also installed softer grips and slightly better foot pegs. They helped a bit, but nothing substantial.
Not trying to mean, but what do you consider the spec of the chain to be?
I'm asking because the owners manual is way too tight.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
If you really have vibrations associated with engine RPM, then I would suspect the clutch basket. If you put the bike in gear, but at a standstill, do the vibrations change/reduce? I would try that, including revving the engine some with the bike in gear but not moving. And if it is the engine, but not the clutch, then I don't think you can do anything to resolve the issue.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll see if I can get you guys a video during lunch. I have no idea if the sound will come through or not. I really appreciate the help.
Whats the best way for me to share a video? Youtube?

·
Registered
796 Posts
You can get a nasty vibration with a failed cct generally most noticeable around 4k rpms but it comes with the unmistakable ticking chatter

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here are a couple of videos I just took in the parking lot. You can kind of hear what I'm talking about. Every few seconds you can hear a faint noise that sounds like something is loose. You can also hear the constant "tic", but I don' t think that's anything out of the ordinary. The vibration hits worst right around 5k rpm, but you can't hear much at that rpm. I'm no expert so maybe I'm wrong. Hopefully you guys will hear something.

Or maybe I'm crazy and the vibration is normal.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not trying to mean, but what do you consider the spec of the chain to be?
I'm asking because the owners manual is way too tight.
The owners manual says 0.2-0.59in of slack. Thats crazy tight. I just set it to what felt good. I just measured it and I'm at a little over an inch. Maybe I should tighten it a bit, but not to 0.2 inches. Thats absurd.

·
Registered
806 Posts
The owners manual says 0.2-0.59in of slack. Thats crazy tight. I just set it to what felt good. I just measured it and I'm at a little over an inch. Maybe I should tighten it a bit, but not to 0.2 inches. Thats absurd.
25 to 30mm is usually where I keep it at.

·
Registered
201 Posts
You can definitely hear some clutch chatter, they are no ducatis but the FZ does seem to have it a little louder than other bikes I have owned. As far as vibration goes, I know just cruising at certain RPMs on this bike just do have vibrations that will make your hands want to go numb after a bit. Seems just about every bike I have owned with the exception of my VFR has had some vibration @ XXXX RPMs.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I did notice on my fZ-09 that vibrations felt in the bars would vary based upon adjustment of the CCT. I would try giving it a slight adjustment and see if the vibration changes.

this was both with the stock, and an APE CCT.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I did notice on my fZ-09 that vibrations felt in the bars would vary based upon adjustment of the CCT. I would try giving it a slight adjustment and see if the vibration changes.

this was both with the stock, and an APE CCT.
I agree with adjusting the ape cct with give you variable vibrations good and bad.

Although the oem cct is automatic and based on oil pressure. Adjusting the oem cct may seem to help at the beginning, but after a few miles it regulates itself, which makes adjusting it a futile effort.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
You can try and have the throttle bodies synced and also check/re-torque the engine mount bolts.....33 ft. pounds for each.
Crfan, I think you got the nail on the head. Throttle body sync is due. I'm gonna buy a manometer and do that as well.

Reactions: CRFan1

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Throttle Bodies were also on my list of things to try. I just don't have a manometer yet. Thanks for all of the input guys.

·
Registered
201 Posts
how many miles?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts