Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2017 Matte Silver FZ-09 a couple of weeks ago. I knew after the first day that was going to get a new seat.

Lots of bikes have a seat that lots of owners recommend highly. I found Sargent, Seat Concepts, Corbin, Shad, and Yamaha Comfort seat but no clear consensus on which one to buy. Also, I found some questions about pre-2017 seats fitting 2017 FZ-09's. I went to the dealer and we tried switching the seats on a 2016 and a 2017. Both seats fit both bikes.

Since I've had a Corbin seat in the past and I liked it, I decided to go that route. Unfortunately, when I called to order it, Corbin told me not to buy the existing seat for a 2017 - they recommend waiting until a 2017 seat is ready, but they don't have a bike yet to start developing it. So back to square one.

I saw a recent thread about a Shad seat and I decided to pull the trigger. I'll post a review and some pics once I get it.

I also ordered the SH36 Side Cases. I'll put them in a different thread.

·
Registered
363 Posts
The 2017 comfort seat is great in my 2016 and it was priced pretty well at $250 shipped.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got the new seat, threw it on the bike and went for a one hour ride.

With the stock seat I get pain and numbness around my tailbone in 15 minutes. I added the Airhawk DS pad and got the same pain and numbness in about 30 minutes. I've had a couple of Airhawk pads over the years - it was inflated correctly.

With the Shad seat I had no real pain or numbness after an hour, but I felt it developing. I may be tender from riding on the old seat. I'm also adding Dimotiv risers which will change my posture. They should arrive today. I'll give an update next week.

My first impressions:
The stock seat doesn't work for me. The Shad seat absolutely does work for me. It's roomier and less sloped. If the stock seat bothers you, try the Shad seat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts