Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got a bone stock 2017 FZ-09 with about 7300 miles on it. Went for a cruise today and I was doing about 60 in 6th and started downshifting coming up to a red light. When I hit about 3rd or 2nd or maybe even neutral (wasn't really paying attention) the motor cut off and the check engine light came on and I rolled to a stop. It started back up perfectly and the check engine light went away immediately. Anyone know what the issue could be? Spark plugs? Valves? I did recently clean around the kickstand switch but I doubt the engine light would come on from that.
Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Purveyor of Neat Toys
103 Posts
The kickstand switch may or may not throw a check-engine light, but it will definitely chop the engine dead. It's quick and easy, so give it a look!

·
Registered
857 Posts
When you are coming to a stop pull the clutch in, down shift to neutral and use the brakes to stop. Release the clutch. Does this help? Down shifting is not required in normal riding, the brakes are stronger than what ever engine breaking can provide. The only time you should downshift while riding is to accelerate, otherwise you are just jackingof.....

Ride sane

·
Purveyor of Neat Toys
103 Posts
When you are coming to a stop pull the clutch in, down shift to neutral and use the brakes to stop. Release the clutch. Does this help? Down shifting is not required in normal riding, the brakes are stronger than what ever engine breaking can provide. The only time you should downshift while riding is to accelerate, otherwise you are just jackingof.....

Ride sane
Wow - where to start ... You should never coast to a stop; there's always the chance of some moron in a cage not paying attention, and you need to move NOW! Brake to a halt, clutch in as you come to a stop, then - IF traffic around you has stopped - shift into neutral.

Downshifting is often needed in normal riding, particularly when moving from flat to hilly terrain. If you slow down using brakes and/or engine compression, you'll often need / want to downshift to get back in the powerband, even if you aren't immediately accelerating.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I've never really given downshifting any thought at all...just do it automatically while slowing with the exception maybe of going from 2nd to 1st which for me in most cases unless coming to a complete stop, is not needed.

OP I believe the check engine code will be stored even if the light went out so your first step should be to see what that code is.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Situational awareness is always important. Traffic spacing and having an escape plan should be part of a riders safe riding habit. In group riding I have seen inconsiderate or unaware riders crowd or box others in. I've also heard bike motors bounce of tbe rev limiter coming to a stop and I have seen riders lock up the rear tire coming to a stop.

I would still be curious if the cutting out has anything to do with either the downshifting or the braking. I doubt it is the brakes causing the engine to cut out. Coasting to a stop might offer some insight.

Ride sane

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I've got a bone stock 2017 FZ-09 with about 7300 miles on it. Went for a cruise today and I was doing about 60 in 6th and started downshifting coming up to a red light. When I hit about 3rd or 2nd or maybe even neutral (wasn't really paying attention) the motor cut off and the check engine light came on and I rolled to a stop. It started back up perfectly and the check engine light went away immediately. Anyone know what the issue could be? Spark plugs? Valves? I did recently clean around the kickstand switch but I doubt the engine light would come on from that.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Ride sane
When I said down shifting I meant going from 6th to neutral approaching the light.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow - where to start ... You should never coast to a stop; there's always the chance of some moron in a cage not paying attention, and you need to move NOW! Brake to a halt, clutch in as you come to a stop, then - IF traffic around you has stopped - shift into neutral.

Downshifting is often needed in normal riding, particularly when moving from flat to hilly terrain. If you slow down using brakes and/or engine compression, you'll often need / want to downshift to get back in the powerband, even if you aren't immediately accelerating.
I mean I'm pretty sure its okay to downshift to neutral coming up to a red light.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I think your fine. The problem might have been the side stand switch or the clutch switch. Has it happened again? You might have a loose electrical connection have you added a accessory or replaced the battery recently?

Ride sane

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I agree with clutch in to the stop light moreso than neutral.

You cannot always see who is approaching then the crash happens... 80% of responses of people - I didnt see that car/them.

It only takes once on a bike, paying attention does your part but not the other guy.

And if your shifting from 6th to a stop light without using your gears, your missing the point of a manual transmission.

Downshifting is just as important as up shifting. If you have ever drove a manual transmission vehicle, one uses downshifts approaching a stop, not neutral and coast to stop light.

The only difference , no clutch in sitting still in a car, you'll wear the damn thing out real quick riding a clutch.

On a bike, clutch in for for safety and use your gears.

OP, are you downshifting to keep the lower powerband up in Rpms? Sorry if this sounds obvious but everyone doesn't drive the same now a days. Automatic transmissions have ruined today's driver skills.

Sorry my morning rambling for the day, lol.

Reactions: alnbama
1 - 10 of 10 Posts