Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, 1st post.
Bike has 17,000 km and started making noises from the clutch.
When the clutch lever is pulled in the noise diminishes.
I took the clutch cover off and pulled all the plates out. Everything looked mint.
Clutch hub is not loose so what is the noise??
I notice that the oil pump is behind the clutch hub driven by a chain from the clutch hub.
Well, wholly frig, it is so loose I am surprised it has not jumped a tooth.
I downloaded the manual, no where does it mention what tension should be on the chain>
I suspect this is the source of the noise. I have not pulled out the basket yet but wanted to know if any of you guys have heard of this.
Very weird for a low mileage bike that has been babied.
I just need to know what is the proper tension as there is no way this is right.
Before 17000km, not a peep of noise from the engine. Not riding the bike until I figure this out.

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
There is no tensioner or tension adjustment. the manual only refers to checking for damage or stiff links. The assumption is that it is lightly loaded, constantly lubed and should last the life of the engine.
The chain is supposed to be loose, but if yours is close to jumping a tooth when you pull it out from the sprocket teeth at such low mileage, you may have other problems.
But I think you'll find it's not loose enough to do that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Lou,
I will pull it all out on the weekend.
The sprocket on the oil pump and chain is not that expensive,
I hope the gear on the back of the clutch basket is good as that part is very expensive.
When you pull the clutch in and disengage the clutch the noise is less. Makes sense that it is the gear pump chain making the racket. One would think there should be some type of max/min measurement on the chain slack in the manual .

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
You would, but Yamaha obviously think it'll outlast other engine components and be replaced then.
I still doubt that's the source of the noise. When running the chain has constant tension due to constant loading of the oil pump. There's no harmonics or overrun as on a cam drive or drive chain.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2000 km ago the bike was stealthy quiet.
Now there is a pronounced noise and vibration from the clutch, something has changed.
Does anyone here have any other ideas?
And thanks Lou!!

·
Registered
329 Posts
In neutral and with no hand on clutch mine (2019) has a noise from the basket shaking about.

In gear setting off there is a clicking noise at low speed, that noise goes away as sped increases.

The ingear setting off noise get a little louder if the chain i a loose.

to be totally sure you could check the chain and sprocket for faults and correct tension.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi PB.
Its an issue coming from the clutch.
The final drive chain and sprockets are perfect.
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
387 Posts
You may just be noticing it? Its a very normal sound. These are very noisy clutches in N with the clutch released. Noise/lash goes away when clutch pulled in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi JSP,

I am one of those freaks who notice everything. This all started just 2 months ago, its not normal.
I am lucky I know 2 other FJ09 guys and we did a comparison between all 3 bikes, and yes, mine sounds like an older Ducati dry clutch.
I have contacted K and have all the part numbers to rebuild the clutch basket with new rubber dampers.
This makes sense , I will know for sure when I pull out the basket over the weekend.

·
Registered
344 Posts
It's certainly worth investigating if something has changed, but EVERY FZ09/MT09 has this issue with considerably more noise when out of gear and clutch out compared to having the clutch engaged.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys, 1st post.
Bike has 17,000 km and started making noises from the clutch.
When the clutch lever is pulled in the noise diminishes.
I took the clutch cover off and pulled all the plates out. Everything looked mint.
Clutch hub is not loose so what is the noise??
I notice that the oil pump is behind the clutch hub driven by a chain from the clutch hub.
Well, wholly frig, it is so loose I am surprised it has not jumped a tooth.
I downloaded the manual, no where does it mention what tension should be on the chain>
I suspect this is the source of the noise. I have not pulled out the basket yet but wanted to know if any of you guys have heard of this.
Very weird for a low mileage bike that has been babied.
I just need to know what is the proper tension as there is no way this is right.
Before 17000km, not a peep of noise from the engine. Not riding the bike until I figure this out.
The oil pump won't be affected by the clutch, its constantly running off the crank. I think what your hearing may be the cam chain tensioner. The original one my 014 fz was auto adjust, I replaced it wit a APE manual and on more weird noise. The slack in the oil pump chain is normal, you can see it on youtube. There was a recall for chain tensioners on my 014, I changed mind before the recall came out and have no regrets..

·
Registered
3 Posts
I should proof read better. Replaced it with an APE manual chain tensioner and no more noise! Also APE has videos on proper adjust and install.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pulled my clutch basket out yesterday and at 17,000 of wimpy slow riding the rubber dampers are kaput.
I can twist the basket almost an 1/8 of an inch so its really loose.
This is the most likely issue causing my vibs and noise.
And yes you guys are right, all the oil chains are loose.
Ill know for sure when I rebuild the clutch and try it out, stay tuned..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just an update on the clutch basket.
The rivets holding the assembly together are 6mm diameter.
Instead of taping the hole to fit an M8 I opted for a M6 helicoil. Using the the M6 the hole only needs to be enlarged to 6.2mm. I was worried about drilling out the hole to much for a M8 as I did not want to weaken the assembly, as it puts over 100hp through it. As the retaining plate only holds the rubber dampers on M6 bolts have more than enough strength.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts