Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 Z800 ABS Sport Motorcycle by Kawasaki

I have been looking at the Z1000 for a few years, but decided on the FZ when it came out.
Curious what people think about the Z800. It appears to have a decent stock suspension, ABS and a 4.5 gallon tank, but this thing is spec'd 20 pounds heavier than the Z1000.
MSRP $8399 US, the Z1000 is $11,999. Thoughts?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Nice looking bike with decent suspension but 500+ lbs?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
835 Posts
Seems like this is more of a competitor to the FZ6r and similar budget bikes.

Looks cool, good starting price. I'm sure it'll sell well.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Kawasaki brought it out in Europe in 2013 to compete against the FZ8 - too bad Yamaha released the MT-09 in 2013 or this would be a contender (cheaper than the FZ8, but 509lbs compared to 467). The suspension isn't better than the FZ-09's, but the smoother motor and higher weight make it more stable compared to the 417lb FZ-09 and the snatchy stock throttle response of the 2013/14 models. It also appears smoother because of more relaxed rake and trail, and a taller seat height - but everything that makes is smoother makes it slower steering. I would take it over the 10 year old design of the GSX-S750, and maybe over an FZ8 (just because it's now an orphan) - but not over an FZ-09. Buying now - I would get an FJ-09 though.

I look at the Z800 as being Kawasaki's current version of the 1982 Honda Nighthawk. A proven engine in an inexpensive frame with a relaxed and easy to ride geometry. A great commuter right out of the box, but not a canyon carver. The FZ-09 isn't the smooth relaxed riding commuter, and had problems with a snatchy throttle at low openings and soggy suspension - but unlike the Z800 the FZ-09 is light and has the frame geometry to make a great canyon carver.

There are people where the Z800 will be a better bike for them than an FZ-09. If you just want to hop on and ride and don't want to be throwing it around in tight corners - then it would be a great bike. But if you like to play in the twisties then the extra 90lbs and relaxed steering geometry compared to the FZ-09 are going to leave you wanting. I think the passenger seat on the Z800 is it's only mistake. If it had better passenger accommodations then I would recommend it to people that wanted to carry a passenger - but I really only see it's buyers as being the people that aren't interested in performance, and really just want a car with 2 wheels.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Seeing the weight of the FZ totally won me over. Everything else is icing on the cake. Dropping 100 lbs makes it so much easier and more fun to ride. I have no desire to go heavier.

·
Registered
218 Posts
They find a way to drop at least 50 pounds and it'd be pretty cool.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
i really like the Kawis and was dead set on a Ninja 1000 but man are they PIGS - it's really hard to want something that heavy when for much less weight you get so much more.

The day they come out with some kind of faired FZ09 - i may have a tough decision to make...

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
i really like the Kawis and was dead set on a Ninja 1000 but man are they PIGS - it's really hard to want something that heavy when for much less weight you get so much more.

The day they come out with some kind of faired FZ09 - i may have a tough decision to make...
Funny, i looked at the Ninja 1000 & FZ8 (both at great low prices) myself before the FZ09 showed up. Never going heavier.
But you would take a fairing? Don't you like 'em naked? ;)

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
under powered Z1000 that is less than the FZ09 in many ways. The Z800 is way less than the FZ09

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Stillborn baby reported to weigh 500 pounds should be the headline.
OMG......now that is funny...glad I wasn't drinking something when I read that, it would be all over the place.

BTW......Moved to the correct section.

Reactions: DNFDOUG

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Reactions: DNFDOUG

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Funny, i looked at the Ninja 1000 & FZ8 (both at great low prices) myself before the FZ09 showed up. Never going heavier.
But you would take a fairing? Don't you like 'em naked? ;)
I've only ever had nakeds. Maybe it's a desire to have something I haven't owned before. I definitely love our bike but I'm always looking to make irresponsible purchase decisions :)

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
^^^ that's awesome - i didnt see the onboard footage.

Hilliar "taking it easy" hitting 202MPH top speed lol

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Don't be floored if you see a New Yammy R6 built around the FZ09 3 cyl sometime in 2016.:cool:

Reactions: ridethepiggy
1 - 20 of 27 Posts