Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

2016 FZ09, FZ07, & XSR900 Pricing and Availability Announcement

19K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Rocky_MTN_FZ09 
#1 ·

Cypress, CA - February 16, 2016 – Yamaha Motor Corporation, U.S.A., today announced that the TMAX and redesigned Zuma 125 scooters, as well as the YZF-R3 sportbike, have joined the company’s 2016 model lineup. In addition, pricing information has been released for the updated 2016 FJR1300A, FJR1300ES, and the all-new 2016 XSR900.

2016 TMAX

The TMAX returns for 2016 in a striking, new Platinum Gray color. Featuring a powerful 530cc, liquid-cooled, fuel-injected, DOHC, twin-cylinder engine, the TMAX is fuel efficient while also producing excellent acceleration and power for highway riding or commuting. With its Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) that eliminates the need to use a hand clutch or shift gears, operating the TMAX is easy.

Stylish LED headlights, front cowl, front fender, mirrors, and instrument panel all combine to give the TMAX cutting-edge styling and a sporty appearance, while advanced upside-down 41mm front forks and radial-mount front brake calipers deliver sportbike-like performance. For unmatched convenience, a Smartkey system makes turning the TMAX off-and-on as easy as pushing a button, and also operates the seat and handlebar lock mechanisms. And, for even more convenience, a handy 12-volt outlet is standard on the TMAX.

The 2016 TMAX MSRP is $10,490 and it will be available in dealerships beginning in late February.

2016 Zuma 125

The Zuma 125 has been updated for 2016, featuring new off-road-inspired styling, improved fuel economy, an upgraded rear brake and suspension, roomier ergonomics, enhanced storage, and even more convenience. Beneath the sleek new styling, the Zuma 125 is built around a strong steel frame with fat, aggressive tires on new cast aluminum wheels. Rugged front and rear suspension, along with protective brush deflectors and fork tube boots that further emphasize the off-road styling, make the Zuma 125 capable of riding on varied road surfaces while delivering plenty of attitude for daily commuting.

Powering the 2016 Zuma 125 is a compact, 125cc, four-stroke, four-valve engine with a ceramic-composite cylinder liner and electronic fuel injection, which delivers modern reliability and economical performance. With an estimated 103 mpg average and a 1.7-gallon fuel tank, you’re sure to get plenty of fun-filled miles before re-fueling.

The fully-automatic, V-belt transmission and push-button electric starting make the Zuma 125 super-convenient transportation. Standard center and side stands, along with a locking cover on the ignition switch, make it easy and secure to park. There’s room for two atop the Zuma 125’s seat, plus lots of locking storage beneath it, while the step-through floorboards make getting on and off a breeze.

The 2016 Zuma 125 will be available in two colors, Radical White or Ultramarine Blue, with a MSRP of $3,390 and availability in Yamaha dealerships beginning in March.

2016 YZF-R3

Also returning for 2016 is the YZF-R3 sportbike, with its user-friendly 321cc, twin-cylinder, four-stroke engine delivering excellent performance for navigating cross-town traffic, exploring rural roads, or lapping a racetrack. Similar to the YZF-R1 and YZF-R6, the engine utilizes forged pistons for lighter weight and exceptional strength. Innovative, offset cylinders reduce friction and improve both power and fuel efficiency.

The YZF-R3 features Yamaha supersport-inspired styling with a full fairing in a chassis design that works for both first-time and experienced sportbike riders who prefer a lightweight, nimble machine. Clip-on handlebars provide a great balance of comfort while maintaining a sporty riding position, and the flat seat design with a height of only 30.7 inches inspires confidence, especially for beginning riders.

The 2016 YZF-R3 will be available in three color schemes, Team Yamaha Blue/Matte Silver, Matte Gray, and Intensity White/Rapid Red, and arrive at Yamaha dealerships beginning in March with a MSRP of $4,990.

2016 FZ-07 & FZ-09 New Color Added

The 2016 FZ-07 and FZ-09 model lines, introduced in June of 2015, will both receive a new Armor Gray color scheme.

The 2016 FZ-07 Armor Gray model will have a MSRP of $6,990, the same as existing Raven and Matte Silver models, and will be available beginning in late February.

Similarly, the 2016 FZ-09 Armor Gray model will have a MSRP of $8,190, the same as existing Raven and Impact Blue models, and will be available beginning in late February.

MSRP Released For FJR1300A, FJR1300ES, And XSR900

Just-released manufacturer’s suggested retail prices for three previously announced 2016 Yamaha motorcycles are as follows:

FJR1300A: $16,390
• FJR1300ES: $17,990
• XSR900: $9,490 (Matte Gray), $9,990 (60th Anniversary Yellow & Black)

See less See more
#2 ·
Good info, Nick.

The question still remaining in my mind is why they don't offer the FZ-09 with the XSR900's ABS, TC, and slipper clutch. Quite a few of our customers have bemoaned the lack of electronic aids, and the slipper is a nice addition...especially for only a $1200 upgrade. That's pretty close to the actual cost of a quality slipper clutch after you add in labor, gaskets, and oil. Kinda like getting ABS and TC for free.

I do find it odd that they decided to focus the upgrades on the hipster model. That said, it's sharp looking bike in the matte gray, and I hope to get my hands on one sooner rather than later.

#9 ·
The question still remaining in my mind is why they don't offer the FZ-09 with the XSR900's ABS, TC, and slipper clutch.
interestingly, the mt-09 in europe for 2016 gets traction control and abs standard (no slipper clutch though). there doesn't seem to be a price premium for it over the previous year's abs model aside from the usual year-to-year price increase.

#19 ·
In the parts diagram (see link below) for the FZ clutch it looks like the pressure plate is different as well. There are also a "spring cushion" and "plate seat" visible in "bobby walnuts" diagram, parts #14 & 15 in addition to the clutch plates on the XSR. As well as the associated hardware shown behind the clutch pressure plate in bobbys diagram.

2015 Yamaha FZ09 (FZ09FGY) Clutch | PartsFish.com

#13 ·
If you download the data sheets for the 2014, 2015 & 2016 MT-09's off the UK website, it shows the following info.

- For all three it gives a Wet Weight = 188 kg / ABS 191 kg
- For the 2014 & 2015 it notes the bikes as MT-09 / ABS
- With the 2016 it notes the bikes as MT-09 ABS

Maybe one of our MT-09 owner's can confirm?

It looks like ABS was an option for the 2014 & 2015 model years, and is now standard on the 2016. This could also be because it is now mandatory for new bikes to have ABS in certain countries. Where in North America it is not required by law to have ABS.

Also once a bike has ABS, with all the wheel sensors, adding traction control is a simple add-on.

I really think it all boils down to price and what the Yamaha marketing thinks will sell in North America. If they were to find not having ABS and TC hurt sales, they would add it in a heartbeat.

Reactions: T3chnine
#14 ·
Yamaha held off on putting TC and ride by wire on the R1 for years and when they did, my buddy got the new R1 and HATED it. He said it felt numb. There is going to be a case for every side I suppose.

As for the ABS: The EU have voted in favor of mandatory ABS for new motorcycles over 125cc from 2016.

#18 ·
If you really want traction control, it can be added, but it's not cheap and no idea how well this one works?

Bazzaz Z-Fi TC Traction + Quick Shift + Fuel Unit | Motostarz USA | Motostarz.com

View attachment 24760
As far as 'how well'...not very well. It uses an algorithm to detect rate of change anomalies in engine speed and then makes corrections through the piggyback - not directly through the ECU. We've yet to find anyone who's truly smitten with it for the price.

#20 ·
Granted I haven't owned my 2016 FZ9 very long yet but do y'all really miss/want the TC and ABS that badly? My previous Kawk Versys 1000 had all that but I don't miss it on my FZ9 really. I enjoy the simplicity and old school feel of the bike, besides it's all about riding smart and knowing your machine and your limits. Modern aids can help but will never fix the *stupid* factor :). A slipper clutch would be nice but the Fuzz9 has such a nice gearbox I really don't miss that feature either to be honest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.