Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one know if the new mt-09 sp suspension will fit onto a 2016 FZ-09? Was contemplating the k-tech cartridges but had a little thought about fitting the new sp forks instead.

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Actually that's a neat idea for the forks assuming they will plug and play.
The real trick would be trying to find the parts and remember to add the proper springs for your weight.
Does your bike already have a worthwhile rear shock?

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Does any one know if the new mt-09 sp suspension will fit onto a 2016 FZ-09? Was contemplating the k-tech cartridges but had a little thought about fitting the new sp forks instead.

I cannot answer your question, but had a full front and rear re-make of the suspension using K-TECH components on an earlier Tracer GT. Chalk and cheese, night and day, black and white. The transformation to a magic carpet ride was quite unbelievable, albeit at the cost of AUD$2100. Done by a pro, and not a job I'd tackle myself...

·
Registered
595 Posts
I thought the forks on the 2021 MT-09 are shorter than the previous version?

·
Banned
2019 Yamaha MT 10
1,068 Posts
I thought the forks on the 2021 MT-09 are shorter than the previous version?
I think you are correct. I also read the reviews for the 2021 and they raved about everything except the stock suspension. I think it's probably cost a small fortune to do 2021 forks even if they fit and afterwards I think you still have a bike with crappy front suspension.

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
1,183 Posts
Agree - with the folks above, I also remember reading that the forks on the '21 had less travel than the older generation. I'm not sure if that also means overall length is also shorter, but it probably is.
Unless you can get the SP forks for a very reasonable price somehow a swap will probably cost more too.

A cartridge kit (complete cartridges, not a re-valve of the stock ones) is surprisingly easy to install, and can be done in a single afternoon. If you order a kit from Stoltek you can even rent the tools you need to DIY from him so you don't have to buy any specialty tools, all you need are the basics for getting the forks off the bike.

Not sure where you're at but I'd be happy to spend an afternoon helping you if you're within riding distance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can get the SP forks at a good price. That's why I was asking. I guess I'll just till I can go measure the forks on an SP model. Dealers around here don't have any currently. Still leaning towards a K-Tech setup though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts