Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a new motorcycle after a about 4 years of not riding. I went to a few of my local Yamaha dealers and fell in love with the FZ-09. I have not ridden the bike yet but would like to before I buy it. I am planning on using it for both long weekend rides and commuting to work in the nice weather. I have followed the bike since 2014 and think this the time to pull the trigger. I know this type of bike is typically not thought of when taking long trips but I know there is some customization options to improve this. I have gotten a lot of input from friends but none of them own the bike. If anyone could provide some input on the pros and cons of the bike I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance

·
Registered
319 Posts
Welcome to this forum. Got a few hours and a cold one? Learn how to navigate this site and you'll find out everything you want to know and then some. I've had my FZ for 2 years and I have to say my commute never gets old. Weekend rides, oh yea, if you ride at 80 mph you'll want a wind screen and maybe some more padding in the seat. Pros, seating position, motor, light weight, parts available, and loads of fun. Cons, budget for year was spent by February, spend way to much time working on the FZ when she runs great.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Suspension depends on your weight. Light to middle weight fine. Any heavier will require modification/upgrade. Stock tires are not real sticky. Your body will tell you if the stock seat works or not. Everything on my 2015 is pretty nice. My only complaint is rough rides overs fairly rough surfaces. So, maybe a suspension upgrade would help, but it could also be the light 415lb bike and suspension may not solve that problem. Everything else is brilliant, thanks to the motor. That, plus the weight make it a blast to ride. Very tough to beat for roughly $8000. And, if need be, approx $2000 more in mods will make it perfect.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now when you say light to middle weight what to do you mean? I am a fairly heavy guy at 250lbs. Also is the suspension just to soft or are there other issues?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Bought mine a year ago and have put almost 6k miles on it. I'm 5'10 190lbs. Love this machine. LIke you, I took about 5 or so years off riding after always having a bike (I'm 49 now). Told myself all I would do to the bike is the Akra carb exhaust and windscreen. Now I find myself putting more and more into the bike. It's like a frigging drug addition. For example, I just recently changed out the bars to Pro Tapers. The stock bars were perfectly fine, but man, the Evo's look sick and feel great! Unlike other bikes I've owned (cbr1000, ninja's, buell ulysses, etc.) the thrill factor and joy of riding it has not faded one bit. I think the drawbacks on the bike depend completely on your body type and riding style. Pull the trigger man, you won't regret it.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Now when you say light to middle weight what to do you mean? I am a fairly heavy guy at 250lbs. Also is the suspension just to soft or are there other issues?
I'm 250lb + gear. You'll want the 1.0Kg springs and 10wt oil in the front. I've got an Ohlins shock w/ 105 spring in the rear. Bike rides like it's on rails in the twisty stuff. However, I will say the chassis lacks poise, compared to a super-sport bike. Haven't had the rear try come around on me under hard braking, so I will give it credit there.

My Puig Touring windscreen helps, but doesn't really doesn't do much. Commuting around town, or short blasts on the freeway, the FZ09 is really in it's element. All in all, it's a fantastic bike for the money. Plan to spend another $1K-2K getting the suspension up to par, and an ECU flash to unlock it's potential and make the throttle more rider friendly.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Light to middle in my post equates to 125-175. Your weight matches Ghengis, so you're looking at similar upgrades. Call it soft or sight any number of possible issues. Stock is simply under capacity for you. Upgrading suspension will also allow you to get compression adjustability as well which stock does not have.

Other bikes that already have good suspension are generally heavier and more expensive. With quality suspension, the FZ is 415 lbs with its awesome triple engine and still less money. Once you get enough feedback on the best seat selection for your weight, you'll fall in love with your FZ. And, when you finish with your first set of tires, you'll have several different ones to choose from to elevate the experience even more. The FZ-09 offers you a great basic machine for a very reasonable price that can be molded into a truly awesome motorcycle. Most of this forum revolves around owners that have done exactly that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I way 165 lbs (without riding gear) and after having the bike for 8 months decided I needed to upgrade the suspension. The bike was diving on any braking that wasn't super mild. The bike is much more fun to ride now. Suspension cost around $1000, so even with the upgrade the bike is still an incredible value.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I way 165 lbs (without riding gear) and after having the bike for 8 months decided I needed to upgrade the suspension. The bike was diving on any braking that wasn't super mild. The bike is much more fun to ride now. Suspension cost around $1000, so even with the upgrade the bike is still an incredible value.
Can you share the details on what you did to the suspension for $1k? Thanks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Definitely worth a bike having, you may need to spend some $ on suspensions and comfy seat but overall it does well. I've owned numerous 600cc sports bikes in the past and the last bike was a v-strom. Upgrading the FZ-09 with a proper touring windshield, storage and a comfy seat, you will go long distance with much comfort and have the power and ability to corner like no other. I would way this is a very versatile bike with lots of customization options.

Go for it, you can always sell it :) i'm sure someone here will buy it off you for the right prize haha

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
My only real regret on the bike is the damn seat. I currently have a Sargent seat, but being fairly lean in build I still find riding for more than an hour somewhat difficult due to butt pain. There are times I think that the FJ would have been a better choice, but I'll probably never know for sure. I do get aggravated with a fuel gauge that is not linear, but I've learned how to use it. Some of the things that I originally didn't like, like the off-set gauge cluster and silver handlebar I actually have come to enjoy. You might find a good deal on a 2015 leftover...if you like those colors. I really like the yellow color.

My mods: Sargent seat, Engine case guards and sliders, grip puppies, rear grab bar, rubber topped foot pegs (only $10), rear spools, tail bag, Givi wind screen, High-intensity LED running lights, Akra Carbon exhaust.

·
Registered
635 Posts
My only real regret on the bike is the damn seat. I currently have a Sargent seat, but being fairly lean in build I still find riding for more than an hour somewhat difficult due to butt pain
You could always get butt implants like Kim Kardashian and her ilk do :p:rolleyes::bootyshake::bootyshake::bootyshake::bootyshake:

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Just buy a pair of bicycle shorts with the maxi-pad sown in. If they can make a bicycle seat tolerable they should make things fine on the FZ09. If that doesn't work maybe get an actual maxi-pad.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I'm 155 without gear and the suspension is pretty good for me after I set it up . I also don't rip corners at crazy speeds though just slightly above posted limit . I prefer the pull out of the corner and straight line speed

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
For all you guys complaining about the seat, come ride my DR650SE with the stock seat. After a few hours of saddle time on that cinder block, you'll think the 09's seat is a La-Z-Boy Recliner, lol.

Joking aside, there are a couple of quick fixes that are worth trying.

http://www.fz09.org/forum/6-fz-09-general-discussion/1575-seat-mod-reduce-forward-slope.html

http://www.fz09.org/forum/32-yamaha-fz-09-guides-how-s/7423-seat-mod-grout-sponge-alternative.html

http://www.fz09.org/forum/6-fz-09-general-discussion/7267-grout-sponge-seat-mod-big-thumbs-up.html

I have also heard of guys wearing a pair of bicycle shorts, on there sport bikes, on long rides, to help save your butt, lol.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Can you share the details on what you did to the suspension for $1k? Thanks.
With all due respect, upgrading to suspension for someone who weighs 85 lbs less than you would be $1000 wasted. I realize you're trying to minimize potential expenses, but suspension on any bike has to be adequate for your weight. Two very good ways to do that are to query this forum for upgrades done by others who are 250lbs and/or contact suspension vendors and see what they recommend. See our vendor threads for some great links.

Oops. Sorry Capebay. I got you mixed up with the OP.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts