Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently put a K&N hi flow air filter, and new plugs in my bike, and now I am getting a very strange vibration in the motor. it can almost be felt at an idle on up. I don't think its the clutch basket bc I have felt that vibration on a friends 2014 fz-09 when his clutch basket exploded. Back to my bike... my ECU has been flashed ( I don't know if that has anything to do with it.) and I think all 3 cylinders are firing. I am new to the 3 cylinder world and in my neck of the woods there is not a lot of shops that have experience dealing with them.
To give the vibration a description it almost feels like a hula hoop that has a weight attached to it and its spun around. the more the revs the less pronounced. So my question is what could be causing the vibration. Could the ECU just need to reset with the new air flow? could something got off kilter with the Throttle bodies when I removed the air box? I should add that the temp never gets carried away.

I am in desperate need of advice as mentioned before I don't really have a trusted shop to take it to.
thank you for taking the time to help this poor rider out.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I would take it apart immediately and have a look around. If you don't see anything out of the ordinary I would put the stock filter back in it. I'm not a fan of K&N for multiple reasons.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would take it apart immediately and have a look around. If you don't see anything out of the ordinary I would put the stock filter back in it. I'm not a fan of K&N for multiple reasons.
I took it apart tonight, and have not noticed anything noticeably wrong. My buddy has a 2015 fz-09 and he put the exact same filter in with no issues. He however does not have the ECU flash, and I don't know if it is worth mentioning but my AIS system has been removed and I have block off plates installed. But you think it could be the air filter that is causing the overall crabbiness of the bike?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Just change it back to stock filter and see

·
Registered
989 Posts
Yeah I'd throw stock filter back in to see if the problem resolves itself. If so then put the K&N back in if you want and I'd sync the throttle bodies to be safe. Maybe they are a tad off and the aftermarket filter makes it more pronounced.

·
Registered
739 Posts
You changed the plugs. I would inspect the plugs to see if one is fouled. Check the gap, reinstall and make sure the plug wires are properly seated on the plugs and are going to the correct spark plug.

Good luck.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Air filter should change nothing at idle as the air flow is so low. But you should put a "paper" filter in to stop fine dust.
It could be the plugs as noted above. Put chain spray on the plug threads and tighten them in until the washer goes flat, that way you get a good ground and a pressure seal and they won't vibrate out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts