Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys I bought my 2015 R1 in Rapid Red/ Pearl White on Saturday 6/6/15 and I wanted to share it with you all. I have about 250 miles on it. I just changed the oil last night. My oil filter and drain bolt were over tighten just like on the fz-09. Surprise surprise lol.

Guys and gals, I have had my share of supersports, but this bike is nothing short of the hype surrounding it. I have never been on a bike like this one. From the display to the tires, just 100% awesome.

My friend bought the Blue/Silver model back in April. One ride on it and I knew I would have to get one. I am going to use this thread to document the happenings with the R1. My friend and I will be doing a lot of riding together so i will be posting ride vids and pictures often. I have already ordered some parts for the bike to install, and I will update this thread as that progresses as well.

Where to start?

As of yesterday I switched from D mode to C mode. D mode is for rain and adverse road conditions. It really limits first gear. I mean really limits. 2-6 gear is still quick in this mode. But wow what a difference between D and C mode. C mode changes the power mode from 4 to 3. And man o man that made this bike turn into a rocket ship. Honestly like bike felt faster in c mode, than my RC51 with Yoshi exhaust and PC3. And we aren't even into power mode 2 or 1. C mode also decreases all the other sub functions compared to d mode.

My favorite features so far:
The bike comes with stainless steel brake lines from the factory. The display is like a hd tv. The bike has 4 modes that can be altered in may ways. The settings inside the four modes can be changed independently. The four modes are A-D. The settings are: Power Mode, Traction control, Lift Control, Slide Control, Quick Shifter, ABS, and Launch Control.

I have yet to push the bike hard enough to really make use of many of these systems and settings, but I have played around with lift control and the quick shifter.

The quick shifter is freaking awesome. Anytime after 2000 rpms the quick shifter is active. It has three settings. I have it set on 2. You do not have to let off the gas or pull the clutch in for an UP shift. Just stay on the gas and click the shifter up. It is so smooth, as the bike just keeps accelerating. You can barley feel the bike hiccup at all.

In C mode if you twist the throttle all the way back in first gear, the front wheel will come off the ground but only about 3-5 inches. Lift control will put it back down. My buddy with who already has 2000 miles on his said in A mode lift control on its highest setting will allow the front wheel to come off the ground about 1-1.5 feet.

Lastly I want to discuss the tires. The tires are Bridgestone Battleax RS10's. The rear only last about 2k miles (my buddy's is already on the wear indicators). But they are so sticky I will gladly change the rear every 2k miles. I have already been to the edge of the tires and man they are confidence inspiring and really give great feed back.

Well I figure that is enough to read for one post. Like I said I will keep updating this thread as we go on new rides and push the limits of this insane bike.

Now for some pictures: The pearl in the white is beautiful. There is a metallic flake in the white and the red as well.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Congratulations!!!!

Sounds like this is The One Bike You'll Never forget, and Never part with.....Enjoy it.....!!!!!:cool:

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Congrats and the R1 is definitely getting some good reviews.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I have to admit that I'm a bit jealous. I can totally see mine in Super Streetfighter mode ;)

Maybe one day?

Congrats, awesome ride!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Awesome ride! Thanks for sharing ( taunting us :p ) I dig the airfoil built into the tail. Really seems to be evolutionary performance .

Being that this is a track bike modified for street , as opposed to the other way around, I would like to hear about how long it's comfortable for , and the general street manners.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
This threads got legs....Its going to be a long & winding road.:cool:

·
Registered
551 Posts
Congrats! Beautiful bike!

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Awesome ride! Thanks for sharing ( taunting us :p ) I dig the airfoil built into the tail. Really seems to be evolutionary performance .

Being that this is a track bike modified for street , as opposed to the other way around, I would like to hear about how long it's comfortable for , and the general street manners.
Well from a comfort stand point, the bike is a supersport. After about 45 minutes my wrist start to get a little sore. But as for riding on the street the bike has so much torque you can ride at a moderate pace without being in a low gear. Especially on the highway, in 6th gear the bike moves, no need to down shift really. Also the traction and slide control really make hitting patches of gravel, sand, oil, ect. less daunting. That coupled with the ABS and DOT track day stickiness tires that come on the bike make for a really confidence inspiring ride for the road.

Another thing you immediately notice hoping on the R1 is how narrow and 600 like it feels. The bike feels very nimble and smooth. Maybe that is because i am coming off the RC51, which is super heavy and wide compared to the R1. But I have had a bunch of 600's and this bike feels like another one, with WAY more power lol.

beautiful bike. but what happened to the rc51?
I had to sell the RC51, Kawasaki Versys, and Yamaha Grizzly to buy the R1 for cash. It was hard to let the RC51 go. That bike was mint for 10 years old. Not to mention the RC is very unique and has tons of torque. But once I road my buddies 2015 R1, I knew I had to get one.

On another note I installed sliders (Frame, Rear Axle, and Front Axle) this evening. It was to dark to take pics. But my buddy and I will be taking our R1's out tomorrow so I will be sure to get some good pictures for you guys. I bought Evotech-Performance "Bobbins" for all three. They look great and were very easy to install. They fit and finish on them is also very nice. Way nicer than the generic eBay or cycle gear stuff.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well we didn't get to ride this morning due to rain. We may go out tonight and ride, weather permitting. If not we are definitely riding in the AM. I got to take some pictures of my Evotech sliders though. They seem to be top quality. I hope I never have to rely on them, but I feel better knowing they are there. I may still get some case sliders too. So enjoy those and stay tuned for some C mode comparison to A mode video in straight line acceleration, via my bike in C and my buddies in A. And watch me try and chase my faster buddy through the turns.

Garfield walked into the shot:

Reactions: Steve101

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Congrats on an amazing machine! The last time I was at the dealership I missed my spot in line at the parts counter and had to go take another number because I was hypnotized by the R1 on the showroom floor... Looking forward to updates/comments on this beast. :)

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey guys wanted to say thanks for all the nice comments here and well wishes. I got together with my friend with his 2015 r1 and took some pictures as well as some video. I won't have time to edit the vids until this weekend tho :(. In the meantime here are some pictures of the two bikes. (His mods right now are Graves Titanium Slip on, Evotech Front Axle Sliders, and Rear Spool Axle Sliders. But he will be changing to Rear Axle Sliders and adding Yamaha Frame Sliders soon).

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
great pictures - thanks for sharing.

So now you have an 09, R1, RC51 (i think this was you) and a grom? Quite the stable my man!

When do you see yourself riding the RC51 vs. the R1?

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
great pictures - thanks for sharing.

So now you have an 09, R1, RC51 (i think this was you) and a grom? Quite the stable my man!

When do you see yourself riding the RC51 vs. the R1?
Man I wish I still had all those bikes. I would certainly be divorced if that were the case lol. The only bikes I still have are in my sig. KTM DUKE 390, Honda Grom, and Yamaha R1. But my wife rides the duke and my son is working on the grom in the back yard and cul-de-sac.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Man I wish I still had all those bikes. I would certainly be divorced if that were the case lol. The only bikes I still have are in my sig. KTM DUKE 390, Honda Grom, and Yamaha R1. But my wife rides the duke and my son is working on the grom in the back yard and cul-de-sac.
oh man - i'm behind the times - didn't you pick up an RC51 recently- you sold it already? Either way - best of luck with the R1, IMO it's one of the nicest supersports out there.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks man. Yeah I bought the RC51 about 4 months ago. I hated selling it. But there was no way to keep it and get the R1. The rc51 was a bike i have always admired and wanted to ride (Like the white horse on city slickers two) lol. It is an awesome bike, so much torque. And the sound of the v-twin with the yoshi's was unreal. I was able to make a small profit on the bike. But even after riding it through my usual "corners" for 5-700 miles on the RC, I can jump on this R1 and carry 15-25% more speed through the same corners, all things being equal. The new R1 with all the rider aids really does make you faster. And not just faster, but it always you to focus on being smoother as well.

Reactions: beck
1 - 20 of 27 Posts