Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My wife is all excited about the new for the USA, 2015, SUZUKI, GSX-S750. They have a flat black which is what she wants. Personally, I would go for the White/Blue, which is reminiscent of the old GS series in my day. The bike is aimed squarely towards the FZ. The only drawback that I can see is that the bike weighs 470 pounds. No word yet on the adjustability of the suspension, but the engine has been in production for a while, which is more good news.

The funny thing is that I have owned many different makes of bikes over the years, but I always talked myself out of a Suzuki. I have told anyone that would listen that the GSXR750 is the ideal track bike, and I am excited about the idea of my wife upgrading her R6S to a naked Suzuki that I can selfishly take out from time to time.

·
Registered
539 Posts
The only styling gripe I have with it, is that dang rectangular swingerarm like what the SV's had. Sooooooo ugly. And the 3 spoke rims.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My wife's old CBR600F2 had the same style boxy swingarm, and I agree that it is ugly. Cost saving measure, I am sure. I love the tailsection, tank, headlight quarter fairing, and radiator guards though.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Given the bikes you've listed CBR600F2 and current YZF-R6, undoubtedly your Mrs. Has plenty of experience for the Zook, but will it be enough bike for her?!.... Seeing as she's coming from a SS bike.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Given the bikes you've listed CBR600F2 and current YZF-R6, undoubtedly your Mrs. Has plenty of experience for the Zook, but will it be enough bike for her?!.... Seeing as she's coming from a SS bike.
I believe there are other recent threads here about this new Suzuki.....and many critical posts :(

Seems like a Great Looking bike to me :)

I like both the Black & the Blue. And if I brought one home wifey would see to it I was Black & Blue :(

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
The reviews aren't glowing. They used the most bargain basement brakes they could, it's a lot heavier than the FZ... it's sad in a way.

470lbs
Adjustable for preload only
2 piston calipers up front
All of that for an MSRP of $7999

If this is the FZ competition, Yamaha can rest easy.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My son has the 2011 model, little bit on the heavy side and the brakes are iffy... but he love his, first thing he did was fit a SC project slip on....... sounds and looks very good

It does look good it the blue & white !!

·
Registered
511 Posts
If there's anything I've learner in 32 years of marriage it's to give her what she wants. If Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. Seriously I like the bike, but like you said the weight is a little high and some lesser parts. I think that's part of why we went with the Gixxer. Lighter than the FZ, fully adjustable Showas, and Brembos baby! I really did try to talk her into something lesser but they were all heavier and she likes all the plastic.

·
Registered
16 Posts
... Lighter than the FZ, ...
Did I miss something? 470 gixxer vs 417(ish) FZ?

Anyhoo, I've always wondered about the 'trash can' mufflers they use. And it'll look a bit odd when they remove the diving board under the tail section with a tail tidy.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
If there's anything I've learner in 32 years of marriage it's best to give her what she wants.
"A happy wife makes for a happy Life. :)

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
My wife is all excited about the new for the USA, 2015, SUZUKI, GSX-S750. They have a flat black which is what she wants. Personally, I would go for the White/Blue, which is reminiscent of the old GS series in my day. The bike is aimed squarely towards the FZ. The only drawback that I can see is that the bike weighs 470 pounds. No word yet on the adjustability of the suspension, but the engine has been in production for a while, which is more good news.
it's not a new bike, it's been around for years in europe as the gsr750. take a closer look at the specs and you'll see it would be better priced in the $6500 range. at $8150 it's a joke. 2-piston front brake calipers?? come on...

the engine is the only halfway decent thing about it.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
it's not a new bike, it's been around for years in europe as the gsr750. take a closer look at the specs and you'll see it would be better priced in the $6500 range. at $8150 it's a joke. 2-piston front brake calipers?? come on...

the engine is the only halfway decent thing about it.
+ 1000000000

I like the look, but reading this provides a real attitude adjustment. Ty:)

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Given your wife's experience just wondering why she's looking at this vs. the 1000 naked version or even the FZ (given the price difference?).

I'm assuming maybe weight on not considering the 1,000CC and is it just the color on the FZ? Curious how much it would be the vinyl wrap the gas tank?

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
It will be interesting to see one first hand. I'm not sure why Suzuki seems to like the 3 spoke wheels design as most of their street bikes have the 3 spoke wheel setup? I guess it's cheaper to come up with one design and use it as many times as possible. And what's with the +$300 for the blue over the black???? To me that is just crazy to have to pay more just for a different colour.

But the biggest negative for my is the 750cc size.

Suzuki has stuck with the 600cc, 650cc, 750cc then 1000cc.

Kawasaki's street bikes go from 650cc then 1000cc with nothing in between, and I didn't want a cruiser.

Honda? they don't seem to understand the concept of a sport naked bike. They don't have anything even close to the same class and price range.

And I don't even consider any European bikes, one for price and two for parts pricing. Just not worth it, but that is just my thoughts.

·
Registered
962 Posts
It would be better to compare it to the FZ-07, not the 09... Save $1,000 and 100lbs and suggest the FZ-07... I loved the GSXR/GSX/GSF's I've had - but the looks are the only thing this has going - and I think the FZ's look better anyway. The Honda CB650F would be a better comparison. GSX-S750 was the GSR-750, which was the GSXF-750 in 1996 (if not even earlier). Ever heard of lipstick on a pig?

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
All depend on what they mean by "tune for the street". My guess is most geek will go and do a cam swap fro the real deal, I would. The rest can be tune and look like you can trim 30 lbs from the exhaust alone. Some people will go for it I'm sure. The 09 is a better machine on paper but we can't expect everyone buying Yamaha only... some are hardcore Zuki fans.

I'll but a Z1K before this to be honest. Just a shame... customers don't want detune bike, we want badass bike comfy to ride. Big difference!

1 - 20 of 138 Posts