Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As a Senior rider nearing the end of my break-in period, I thought a few product reviews might be helpful to some. Rated 1 to 10, 10 being the best, IMO.

The factory rear rack is extremely well made. It looks good on the bike for those of us who put function over form. It went on very easily and is solid. Rating: 10.

I nearly went blind looking at rear bags, some on line, others in bike shops. The smaller bags looked nice but were, well, too small. On a whim, I drove up to the BMW dealership and found my bag. It is a BMW bag, very well constructed, the dark grey and silver nicely accents my silver bike. It expands, has an interior waterproof bag / lining, and enough pockets to keep me happy. And, it will hold my helmet. The quality of this bag is exceptionally nice. It comes with 12 black ratchet straps, 4 S, 4 M & 4 L. It cinched to the bike tightly with no loose flaps and I can remove it in about 5 seconds; reattach it in 10. OTD cost: $195. Rating: 9.

I did a lot of research into what type windshield I wanted and from whom. I read every post I could possibly find on this accessory. With some apprehension, I ordered the Madstad and required brackets. As I am 6’ their staff person recommended the 22”. I chose the medium tint. A full refund was promised if I chose to return their product - in good condition of course.

Installation was extremely simple and it all installed securely. By turning the knobs I can raise / lower / tilt the windshield. You can also order the smaller windscreen and easily interchange it with the windshield. I did not order the smaller wind screen.

After 200 miles, adjusting the windshield this way and that, I like it. It is not and doesn’t look like a barn door windshield. In a few seconds — when stopped of course — I can adjust wind flow to suit my riding and outside temps. My set up can not produce a still air pocket and silence another larger windshield might provide (Goldwing?). But no setting creates the irritable head wobble either, just clean air flowing where I want it to. One setting takes the windblast off my chest on the Interstate. Another setting creates more air flow. From an appearance standpoint, the brackets and windshield will be a + or — depending on your tastes and where you place form and function. From a functional standpoint, I think it looks nice on my bike. It’s not overly large and the tinted windshield adds a bit of character to how I’m setting this bike up. YMMV of course. Rating: 8.

Will now start my search for side bags. If I can figure out how to post a few pics, I will.

Cheers everyone.

·
Registered
208 Posts
+Corbin gunfighter seat! It gives you a more level sitting position

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
I had the Madstad on my Triumph Tiger 1050 and sent it back. None of the setting were any better than the stock screen which I ended up trimming shorter to find the sweet spot. I'm running the Puig Touring screen on my FZ and it got rid of the wind blast on my chest. Screens rarely eliminate the wind, but simply move it to a different spot. Evident by your adjustments on your Madstad.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Pictures?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts